Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

HELP! I'm going to Disney with PF!!!

Posted by Paula T on 3/15/02 at 09:02 (076492)

Yes, I've done the unthinkable...I booked a trip to Disney and now my PF is worse than ever. I'm looking for some expert advice from some long time sufferers...besides ice-packs and my 800mg ibuprofen, what can I do now to prepare and what can I do when I'm done there? Eight days...at least 5 attractions...two kids and an able bodied husband and then theres ME...hop-a-long. At 34 I feel like 134. And PLEASE don't tell me to get a wheel chair, my psych can't handle it. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paula T

Re: HELP! I'm going to Disney with PF!!!

Julie on 3/15/02 at 09:39 (076501)

OK. I won't tell you to get a wheelchair.

Go to Disney. Walk miles, around all the attractions. Be in pain all the time. Be miserable. Hold up the works. Be a drag on your kids. Let your husband worry himself sick about you. Re-injure yourself. Come home again with your psyche as well as your feet in shreds, wishing you'd never gone.

Or get a wheelchair.

You'd be an idiot not to. As long as your husband is willing to push you, and as long as you're prepared to shift your attitude a little, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Getting a wheelchair isn't an admission of defeat. It's taking a sensible, practical decision so that you and your family can get maximum pleasure out of your trip.

I hope you'll get more input on this from people who have actually been there and done it - I know there are quite a few - who can go into detail and give you the benefit of their experience. All I can tell you is - accept the fact that you have seriously sore feet and that they will probably be a good deal sorer if you tackle Disney without wheels. And plan accordingly.

dave on 3/15/02 at 12:38 (076518)

You may want to consider taping your feet with athletic tape. I did the same thing last year. I walked for hours everyday and the taping helped alot!

wendyn on 3/15/02 at 14:11 (076525)

Amen to everything Julie said.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get in the chair and have a great trip.

Making yourself miserable in order to keep pride intact won't help anyone.

I have had to use the chair on occassion.

And a cane.

I am 33.

Paula T on 3/15/02 at 15:05 (076530)

Well thanks for being honest. Even if it's not what I want to hear. My trip is not for another 6 weeks. Alot can happen in that time. If by day three I'm miserable and making everyone else miserable I might get a chair..or stay at the hotel and sit by the pool. We'll see.

Paula T on 3/15/02 at 15:16 (076533)

I have not tried taping. at least not like what they show on this site. When I see my Dr. He wraps my arch with a stretchy removabl tape and puts an oval cotton-like biscuit thingy--for lak of the correct terminology---at my arch. This gives great arch support and is removable and reusable. Only holds up for a few days and then its stretched out and doesn't work.
I'll try the taping that is shown on the site and see if it helps.

Thanks, Paula

nancy s. on 3/15/02 at 16:29 (076540)

paula, i'm sorry but i have to say it: i hope you get a wheelchair for your trip *before* you become miserable, because ... why become miserable? and make others miserable along with you? and believe me, they WILL feel miserable even if you manage a higher level of stoicism than you ever imagined -- they will know if you're in pain.

i know it seems like a weird idea if you've never used one. i hadn't used one either, but after a year and a half of pf and other foot tendonitis problems, i finally got smart and rented a wheelchair for two separate trips, one to my husband's family in michigan and one to mexico.

my husband's father was ill in a nursing home, so it doesn't exactly compare to disney. but without that wheelchair, the long walk from the parking lot and through this huge nursing home to get to my father-in-law would've killed my feet, and my being in a wheelchair allowed all kinds of additional things: (1) my husband could focus on his dad and other family instead of on my pain. (2) i participated more in the family outings and other doings because i wasn't in pain. (3) my husband and i actually went to a park with trails and did other things for relaxation that we couldn't have done without me in the wheelchair. so, in sum, EVERYONE was happier with me in the wheelchair, including myself.

it surprised me how much more we both could enjoy the time, and it surprised me that the wheelchair was not a pain in the neck at all but instead a freedom-giver.

please don't wait till you get miserable on your trip and then collapse in despair into a wheelchair! start out with it -- you'll be much less of a burden to yourself or anyone else if you do. and your feet will definitely thank you at the end.

have a great time!

nancy

Jan W on 3/16/02 at 18:24 (076600)

Hi Paula:

I went to Universal Studios about 2 years ago and we bought a 3 day pass, I think. This allowed us to go in at 7 am. 7 to 10 am, we were the only ones there and there were no lines. Standing is the worse for me, so this was much better.

Also, you can rent scooter type things. See their website for info.

Good Luck!

Jan Walsh

Re: Been there with PF! HELP! I'm going to Disney with PF!!!

Jill P on 3/17/02 at 23:24 (076702)

Paula, I know exactly what you mean about not being able to think of being in a wheelchair at Disney. I felt the same exact way last spring when our trip was approaching. I felt just like you and wanted to walk until I was miserable and then realized I would be setting myself back that much more. In the end, we did rent a wheelchair each day. It was well worth it and after my initial cry, I found it was not like I thought it would be. I didn't have anyone glaring at me or giving me any other odd looks.

I was determined that we would not use the handicapped entrances to the rides because after all I could wait sitting just not standing. This worked out just fine on the first ride we tried (Dumbo) and at some point they opened a bar that brought us to a loading zone but we waited there and seemed to be no farther ahead than those we'd waited with in the regular line. I thought this would be great at all the rides until we tried this at our second ride which was the Merry Go Round. I made it down the first part of the line and then got stuck. We had to have everyone back out of the line so we could get me and the chair back out. This was really upsetting for me because in trying not to get special treatment, I ended up being a bother to many people who had to back out of the line (they were all nice about it though). From that point on, we realized that the best thing to do was to go to the handicapped entrance with our whole party (we tried having the others wait in line but then it was hard to get back together and threw off their efficent loadings to regroup us).

My advice, bring your handicapped parking permit. DON'T park in the part of the lot that is handicapped though because unless you have your own chair in your car this is a VERY long walk. As you pull in, mention to those directing the parking that you need an end spot which are saved for those with permits so you will have a very short walk to the tram. Get a wheel chair or more expensive scooter (we did the scooter one day mid week to give me some independence and my DH and parents a break). If they don't give you one automatically with the chair, ask for the pamphlet for guests with disabilities. Each of the parks has one and it will tell you how to enter each attraction (it will tell you if you wait in the regular line or show you where to find a handicapped enterance). Also one thing that wasn't clear in the info was that ANY attraction that has a fast pass, you have to get a fast pass for as they use the same enterance as the FP holders so you can't get in without the passes for your party. We loved the PFs by the way.

I have to get to bed, but please email me ((email removed)) if you want any more info or have questions. Disney was actually a really good place to go on vacation as they are set up well for those who need some extra assistance like a wheelchair. I hope your vacation is fabulous!!!

Mikt T on 3/19/02 at 12:47 (076840)

Paula, if a wheel chair is not something you wish to do, I would suggest as Dave did in a later response to your inquiry. Try taping the bottom of your feet with athletic tape to provide support for the fascia. I have had PF in both feet for over 5 years now and have tried all the conservative treatments without much luck. I took my family to Disney this past Thanksgiving and had a great time, but my feet did suffer quite a bit. I did not use tape, but relied more on my orthotics and thick socks. I have however, used taping with great success at times when I have had to stand on my feet a lot or if I am participating in some type of athletic activity. Be aware, there is some art to the taping so you may wish to give it some practice before heading off to Disney. Improperly taped feet can be uncomfortable as well. Good luck with your trip and if you need to go for a wheel chair, then so be it. I was impressed not only with how well Disney moves people around at the parks, but also how well they accomodate those with special needs.

Dan L on 3/19/02 at 20:34 (076914)

I have had PF (quite severe) for approx 6 years. My wife & I went to Disney several months ago. Get there early and you can rent a scooter. It is soooooooo convenient and makes life easy for sufferers like us. I'm 47 (not so old) and frequently find myself in a wheelchair or scooter. And, yes. The pride thing 'kicks in' on occassion but I like being able to enjoy myself. Also, my wife and I get a kick out of the 'pity smiles' people give me when our eyes meet and I'm in a scooter!! It's like they feel 'oh so sorry' for me with that sheepish sideways grin. The wheelchair works fine at Disney but it is a LOT OF WORK for the one pushing. Plus, in a scooter, YOU get to decide which way you want to go instead of being dependent on another. Go to Disney, rent a scooter and say hello to Mickey! You'll have a great time!!!!

David G. on 3/20/02 at 08:56 (076962)

When you get to Magic Kingdom, go to Town Hall and ask for a Handi-capped pass so you don't have to wait on line.

Julie on 3/15/02 at 09:39 (076501)

OK. I won't tell you to get a wheelchair.

Go to Disney. Walk miles, around all the attractions. Be in pain all the time. Be miserable. Hold up the works. Be a drag on your kids. Let your husband worry himself sick about you. Re-injure yourself. Come home again with your psyche as well as your feet in shreds, wishing you'd never gone.

Or get a wheelchair.

You'd be an idiot not to. As long as your husband is willing to push you, and as long as you're prepared to shift your attitude a little, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Getting a wheelchair isn't an admission of defeat. It's taking a sensible, practical decision so that you and your family can get maximum pleasure out of your trip.

I hope you'll get more input on this from people who have actually been there and done it - I know there are quite a few - who can go into detail and give you the benefit of their experience. All I can tell you is - accept the fact that you have seriously sore feet and that they will probably be a good deal sorer if you tackle Disney without wheels. And plan accordingly.

dave on 3/15/02 at 12:38 (076518)

You may want to consider taping your feet with athletic tape. I did the same thing last year. I walked for hours everyday and the taping helped alot!

wendyn on 3/15/02 at 14:11 (076525)

Amen to everything Julie said.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get in the chair and have a great trip.

Making yourself miserable in order to keep pride intact won't help anyone.

I have had to use the chair on occassion.

And a cane.

I am 33.

Paula T on 3/15/02 at 15:05 (076530)

Well thanks for being honest. Even if it's not what I want to hear. My trip is not for another 6 weeks. Alot can happen in that time. If by day three I'm miserable and making everyone else miserable I might get a chair..or stay at the hotel and sit by the pool. We'll see.

Paula T on 3/15/02 at 15:16 (076533)

I have not tried taping. at least not like what they show on this site. When I see my Dr. He wraps my arch with a stretchy removabl tape and puts an oval cotton-like biscuit thingy--for lak of the correct terminology---at my arch. This gives great arch support and is removable and reusable. Only holds up for a few days and then its stretched out and doesn't work.
I'll try the taping that is shown on the site and see if it helps.

Thanks, Paula

nancy s. on 3/15/02 at 16:29 (076540)

paula, i'm sorry but i have to say it: i hope you get a wheelchair for your trip *before* you become miserable, because ... why become miserable? and make others miserable along with you? and believe me, they WILL feel miserable even if you manage a higher level of stoicism than you ever imagined -- they will know if you're in pain.

i know it seems like a weird idea if you've never used one. i hadn't used one either, but after a year and a half of pf and other foot tendonitis problems, i finally got smart and rented a wheelchair for two separate trips, one to my husband's family in michigan and one to mexico.

my husband's father was ill in a nursing home, so it doesn't exactly compare to disney. but without that wheelchair, the long walk from the parking lot and through this huge nursing home to get to my father-in-law would've killed my feet, and my being in a wheelchair allowed all kinds of additional things: (1) my husband could focus on his dad and other family instead of on my pain. (2) i participated more in the family outings and other doings because i wasn't in pain. (3) my husband and i actually went to a park with trails and did other things for relaxation that we couldn't have done without me in the wheelchair. so, in sum, EVERYONE was happier with me in the wheelchair, including myself.

it surprised me how much more we both could enjoy the time, and it surprised me that the wheelchair was not a pain in the neck at all but instead a freedom-giver.

please don't wait till you get miserable on your trip and then collapse in despair into a wheelchair! start out with it -- you'll be much less of a burden to yourself or anyone else if you do. and your feet will definitely thank you at the end.

have a great time!

nancy

Jan W on 3/16/02 at 18:24 (076600)

Hi Paula:

I went to Universal Studios about 2 years ago and we bought a 3 day pass, I think. This allowed us to go in at 7 am. 7 to 10 am, we were the only ones there and there were no lines. Standing is the worse for me, so this was much better.

Also, you can rent scooter type things. See their website for info.

Good Luck!

Jan Walsh

Re: Been there with PF! HELP! I'm going to Disney with PF!!!

Jill P on 3/17/02 at 23:24 (076702)

Paula, I know exactly what you mean about not being able to think of being in a wheelchair at Disney. I felt the same exact way last spring when our trip was approaching. I felt just like you and wanted to walk until I was miserable and then realized I would be setting myself back that much more. In the end, we did rent a wheelchair each day. It was well worth it and after my initial cry, I found it was not like I thought it would be. I didn't have anyone glaring at me or giving me any other odd looks.

I was determined that we would not use the handicapped entrances to the rides because after all I could wait sitting just not standing. This worked out just fine on the first ride we tried (Dumbo) and at some point they opened a bar that brought us to a loading zone but we waited there and seemed to be no farther ahead than those we'd waited with in the regular line. I thought this would be great at all the rides until we tried this at our second ride which was the Merry Go Round. I made it down the first part of the line and then got stuck. We had to have everyone back out of the line so we could get me and the chair back out. This was really upsetting for me because in trying not to get special treatment, I ended up being a bother to many people who had to back out of the line (they were all nice about it though). From that point on, we realized that the best thing to do was to go to the handicapped entrance with our whole party (we tried having the others wait in line but then it was hard to get back together and threw off their efficent loadings to regroup us).

My advice, bring your handicapped parking permit. DON'T park in the part of the lot that is handicapped though because unless you have your own chair in your car this is a VERY long walk. As you pull in, mention to those directing the parking that you need an end spot which are saved for those with permits so you will have a very short walk to the tram. Get a wheel chair or more expensive scooter (we did the scooter one day mid week to give me some independence and my DH and parents a break). If they don't give you one automatically with the chair, ask for the pamphlet for guests with disabilities. Each of the parks has one and it will tell you how to enter each attraction (it will tell you if you wait in the regular line or show you where to find a handicapped enterance). Also one thing that wasn't clear in the info was that ANY attraction that has a fast pass, you have to get a fast pass for as they use the same enterance as the FP holders so you can't get in without the passes for your party. We loved the PFs by the way.

I have to get to bed, but please email me ((email removed)) if you want any more info or have questions. Disney was actually a really good place to go on vacation as they are set up well for those who need some extra assistance like a wheelchair. I hope your vacation is fabulous!!!

Mikt T on 3/19/02 at 12:47 (076840)

Paula, if a wheel chair is not something you wish to do, I would suggest as Dave did in a later response to your inquiry. Try taping the bottom of your feet with athletic tape to provide support for the fascia. I have had PF in both feet for over 5 years now and have tried all the conservative treatments without much luck. I took my family to Disney this past Thanksgiving and had a great time, but my feet did suffer quite a bit. I did not use tape, but relied more on my orthotics and thick socks. I have however, used taping with great success at times when I have had to stand on my feet a lot or if I am participating in some type of athletic activity. Be aware, there is some art to the taping so you may wish to give it some practice before heading off to Disney. Improperly taped feet can be uncomfortable as well. Good luck with your trip and if you need to go for a wheel chair, then so be it. I was impressed not only with how well Disney moves people around at the parks, but also how well they accomodate those with special needs.

Dan L on 3/19/02 at 20:34 (076914)

I have had PF (quite severe) for approx 6 years. My wife & I went to Disney several months ago. Get there early and you can rent a scooter. It is soooooooo convenient and makes life easy for sufferers like us. I'm 47 (not so old) and frequently find myself in a wheelchair or scooter. And, yes. The pride thing 'kicks in' on occassion but I like being able to enjoy myself. Also, my wife and I get a kick out of the 'pity smiles' people give me when our eyes meet and I'm in a scooter!! It's like they feel 'oh so sorry' for me with that sheepish sideways grin. The wheelchair works fine at Disney but it is a LOT OF WORK for the one pushing. Plus, in a scooter, YOU get to decide which way you want to go instead of being dependent on another. Go to Disney, rent a scooter and say hello to Mickey! You'll have a great time!!!!

David G. on 3/20/02 at 08:56 (076962)

When you get to Magic Kingdom, go to Town Hall and ask for a Handi-capped pass so you don't have to wait on line.