Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What variables increase the success of ESWT

Posted by Shari G on 3/15/02 at 09:36 (076499)

I have been suffering with PF for about 6 months. I have tried the followiing: denial of condition (only works for a short time), taping, night splints, cortisone shot, insoles, physical therapy and denial again.
I have gone to both a podiatrist and an orthopedic surgeon, who wants to put my foot in a cast. From the postings I have read, that does not seem too successful. I have young kids and can't afford to lose my driving ability.My goal is to be pain free by the beginning of the summer, so I can resume my life? Is this unrealistic?

I am considering ESWT. My podiatrist said it was a great alternative procedure to surgery, but it is done in the hospital. I recetnly learned about a version done out patient, and am going for a consult in PIscataway NJ.I am not sure if my insurance covers it. My question is what is the success rate for this treatment? Does it differ by length of suffering(do you get better results for 6 month sufferrs vs 2 year sufferers), age, severity of pain, etc.? Is the treatment administered in the hospital the same strength as the version done out patient? What is the reoccurance rate of PF among patients who have had a successful procedure?

I have also heard there is a version of orthoscopic surgery, with a short healing time vs radical foot surgery? Has anyone heard of this?

Re: What variables increase the success of ESWT

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 15:05 (076531)

Who are you seeing for the outpateint ESWT procedure. If its Dr. Wishnie you have a great ESWT doctor. He has done well over one hundred treatments.

The sucess of the treatment depends on proper evaluation and diagnostic work-up. Having a surgical background is very important. Having experience in the use of ESWT equipment and proper focusing of the ESWT energy. In plain english your doctor has to be experienced in the surgical, medical and ESWT management of chronic heel pain.

Re: What variables increase the success of ESWT

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 15:05 (076531)

Who are you seeing for the outpateint ESWT procedure. If its Dr. Wishnie you have a great ESWT doctor. He has done well over one hundred treatments.

The sucess of the treatment depends on proper evaluation and diagnostic work-up. Having a surgical background is very important. Having experience in the use of ESWT equipment and proper focusing of the ESWT energy. In plain english your doctor has to be experienced in the surgical, medical and ESWT management of chronic heel pain.