Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bunion surgey....

Posted by Jessica on 3/15/02 at 16:12 (076535)

hey everyone, my name is Jessica and i am 13 years old.... i just found out i have to have bunion surgery in 13 days and i wanna know more about it.. like i wanna know if it will be very pain full.... and how long the surgery is...... how long i'll be off my foot........ i am a really big worryer... and i've been bugging my mom asking her questions but she doesn't know..... soo i thought maybe you all would know.... if you now any information on this please e-mail me at (email removed)
thanxs
Jessica

Re: bunion surgey....

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 18:21 (076542)

Bunion surgery is not painful. You will probaby be asleep for the procedure . What the specific type of procedure is will depend on how bad you foot deformity is. Your doctor should explain to you everything about the procedure. What to expect before, after. How long ago did you see your foot doctor. He should and will explain the procedures you are going to have done. Typically your foot will be place into a surgical shoes. May need crutches. May have a cast but that is rare. will have some stitches.
Will need to take some pain medication for at least a week. Will need to stay off your foot for two days . Will need to ice the foot for two to three days.

jessica on 3/15/02 at 18:51 (076545)

thanxs for the advice... i saw my doctor and he only told me they would brake my foot... or something.. i've asked my mom to get more information but she never did..... i have one more question... Do you think i could be put to sleep with the gas frist then they put the IV because i am very very very afraid of needles....thats pretty much the only thing i am scared about for the surgery..... if anyone knows the anwser to this question please please write me thanxs

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 19:08 (076546)

Hi

Yes that can be done. I do this all the time for patients that have that same fear I have NEEDLES. Dont be afraid to ask for this method and explain to them why. It is no big deal so long as you have nice viens

jessica on 3/15/02 at 19:13 (076547)

thanxs thanxs thanxs thanxs thanxs, i am soo happy now that i know that.... i am going to beg them....soo much.... now i am not as worried as before.... thanxs again so much.....
Jessica

Jessica on 3/16/02 at 08:44 (076563)

i am sorry Dr. Zuckerman i have one more question, if you don't mind answering. Ok well i am a horseback rider, something i really enjoy and i want to know how long after the surgery will i be able to start riding again...

DR Zuckerman on 3/16/02 at 13:52 (076585)

If I knew the exact procedure I could tell you when , why and how. Find out the name of the procedure if you can and I will tell you if the horses near to stay in the barn

Jessica k on 3/16/02 at 14:33 (076588)

well i don't know the name of the procedure but i was told he ur going to make a cut, then brake a bone in my foot and reline it... thats all i know maybe that would help you but i'll try to find the name ok??

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 18:21 (076542)

Bunion surgery is not painful. You will probaby be asleep for the procedure . What the specific type of procedure is will depend on how bad you foot deformity is. Your doctor should explain to you everything about the procedure. What to expect before, after. How long ago did you see your foot doctor. He should and will explain the procedures you are going to have done. Typically your foot will be place into a surgical shoes. May need crutches. May have a cast but that is rare. will have some stitches.
Will need to take some pain medication for at least a week. Will need to stay off your foot for two days . Will need to ice the foot for two to three days.

jessica on 3/15/02 at 18:51 (076545)

thanxs for the advice... i saw my doctor and he only told me they would brake my foot... or something.. i've asked my mom to get more information but she never did..... i have one more question... Do you think i could be put to sleep with the gas frist then they put the IV because i am very very very afraid of needles....thats pretty much the only thing i am scared about for the surgery..... if anyone knows the anwser to this question please please write me thanxs

DR Zuckerman on 3/15/02 at 19:08 (076546)

Hi

Yes that can be done. I do this all the time for patients that have that same fear I have NEEDLES. Dont be afraid to ask for this method and explain to them why. It is no big deal so long as you have nice viens

jessica on 3/15/02 at 19:13 (076547)

thanxs thanxs thanxs thanxs thanxs, i am soo happy now that i know that.... i am going to beg them....soo much.... now i am not as worried as before.... thanxs again so much.....
Jessica

Jessica on 3/16/02 at 08:44 (076563)

i am sorry Dr. Zuckerman i have one more question, if you don't mind answering. Ok well i am a horseback rider, something i really enjoy and i want to know how long after the surgery will i be able to start riding again...

DR Zuckerman on 3/16/02 at 13:52 (076585)

If I knew the exact procedure I could tell you when , why and how. Find out the name of the procedure if you can and I will tell you if the horses near to stay in the barn

Jessica k on 3/16/02 at 14:33 (076588)

well i don't know the name of the procedure but i was told he ur going to make a cut, then brake a bone in my foot and reline it... thats all i know maybe that would help you but i'll try to find the name ok??

Re: bunion surgery - i'm nervous!

SteveG on 6/12/03 at 20:12 (121698)

Ckaanan - don't be nervious. You can do a search on the web and find out what the surgery entails. I have known people that have had it done - a woman at work just had it done a couple of months ago. Everyone I know that has had it has benefited from the surgery. If you have tried all the conservative measures, then surgery is your next option.

Nelly G on 6/14/03 at 23:36 (121895)

IT's normal to be nervous, after all it is surgery is scary, but it's well worth it.

I had bunion surgery (on both feet at the same time) 10 years ago when I turned 30 yrs. old. I had experienced incredible pain and vividly recall many times my feet hurt so badly that I wanted to throw my shoes out the window, so I was ready for surgery! (bunions run in my family!)
I was on crutches for about 4-5 weeks, and then switched into sneakers. I remember my feet were swollen, and I remember 'learning to walk' again. a month later, I could wear loafers, and eventually shoes with heels.
The recovery part is what it is...recovery. You'll start out slowly and feel improvement on a weekly basis. Rest is important, and so is pacing yourself. After the first few days the pain is minimal.

Take it easy. I just stayed by my pool catching rays!

After I recovered I started walking longer distances and eventually running. I'm hooked on running! So far, I've run one marathon, a hand full of 5K races and three 1/2 marathons. I could never have done all of this without having the bunion surgery. It was the best thing that I could have done for my 30th birthday.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Bobby D. on 6/20/03 at 14:35 (122461)

No need to be nervous! I had my first bunion taken off in 1999. I agree with the others that the pain will decrease as time goes by. Almost four years later, I can do just about anything. I am so pleased that I did this for myself. I was just much too young to have to deal with that for the rest of my life! Best of luck with the operation and recovery.

Linda B on 6/27/03 at 21:48 (123097)

Hi: I had bunion surgery three years ago on my left foot and it was absolutely the best thing I ever did for myself. I had been in constant, almost unbearable pain and have a job where I'm on my feet all day. After the surgery, I went home in an 'equalizer boot', which I wore for about 6 weeks. The first few days I had to keep the foot elevated and ice-packed, and although I had been expecting severe pain, I really didn't have that much. The only real pain I had was at night in bed, when a nerve would become pinched due to the equalizer boot when I wasn't moving around. I would just get up and move around for a few minutes and the pain would disappear. I had quite a bit of soreness for several months after, but I have arthritis in my big toe. My joint looks perfectly normal, feels much better, and there was almost no scar. I would do it all again!

Ann N. on 7/09/03 at 23:25 (123924)

I am about to have surgery on my big toe for hallux limitus. I am very active, running 3-4 miles every day and play tennis, crosscountry ski, etc.
I am so worried I won't be able to do the things I love after this surgery. But the doctor told me if I wait too long the success rate is not as good, I have ended up compensating for the pain, but I know eventually it will just get worse as it has over the last 3 years. I just want to know it's worth it and the recovery is not forever. Thanks.