Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lump on inside of heel

Posted by Wanda C. on 3/15/02 at 20:47 (076555)

I have had plantar fascitis for some years, and I have managed the pain with ice, stretching, good shoes, but mostly by just ignoring the pain. I am overweight, (short, low center of gravity), stand a lot for my work as a school librarian on a stone floor (17 yrs). In 91 I had surgery on heel spur on my right foot, which took about 2 yrs. to heal, after extensive physical therapy.

My left heel is very painful now, and I can tell I am walking in a distorted way to compensate for the pain. About a week ago,I noticed a lump on the inside of my left heel, about halfway between the ankle and the bottom back of my foot. It is very tender to touch, and feels boney, not soft. It is about 1 inch in diameter.

Have you seen this before, and is it just a part of the PF? What are your recommendations? I can't take NAISDs because of stomach ulcers, taping helped some with the other foot but only for a day until the tape got too loose. Cortesone injections were not helpful. Thank you for any information.

Re: lump on inside of heel

DR Zuckerman on 3/16/02 at 06:07 (076560)

Hi

Has your podiatrist seen the lump. It could be a plantar fibroma, it could be a tear in the plantar fasicia. I would get an x-ray immediately. Rest and stay off your foot as much as possible. IF you have a boot cast use it

Wanda C. on 3/16/02 at 09:22 (076564)

Thank you for your reply. You have definitely raised my level of concern. I am not currently seeing a podiatrist, nor do I have a boot cast, but I will make an appt. as soon as I can. Wanda C.

Wanda C. on 3/19/02 at 23:24 (076937)

Saw my GP who took an xray, and showed me a heel spur on the bottom of the foot, and also one on the back of the foot. The one on the back looked like bone had broken off to my uneducated eye. It looked really scary. He said I can ice and wrap with an ace bandage, but pretty much just have to live with it. I'm going to find a podiatrist as soon as possible. Am also reading Scott's book, which looks like it has all the answers there are. Thanks.

DR Zuckerman on 3/16/02 at 06:07 (076560)

Hi

Has your podiatrist seen the lump. It could be a plantar fibroma, it could be a tear in the plantar fasicia. I would get an x-ray immediately. Rest and stay off your foot as much as possible. IF you have a boot cast use it

Wanda C. on 3/16/02 at 09:22 (076564)

Thank you for your reply. You have definitely raised my level of concern. I am not currently seeing a podiatrist, nor do I have a boot cast, but I will make an appt. as soon as I can. Wanda C.

Wanda C. on 3/19/02 at 23:24 (076937)

Saw my GP who took an xray, and showed me a heel spur on the bottom of the foot, and also one on the back of the foot. The one on the back looked like bone had broken off to my uneducated eye. It looked really scary. He said I can ice and wrap with an ace bandage, but pretty much just have to live with it. I'm going to find a podiatrist as soon as possible. Am also reading Scott's book, which looks like it has all the answers there are. Thanks.