Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

rowing machines or elliptical trainers--good or bad?

Posted by Ellen on 3/16/02 at 08:10 (076561)

Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone has good or bad experience with either rowing machines or elliptical trainers. I used to row before getting P.F. but now am hesistant to try it since I don't know if it can cause reinjury. (Rowing did not cause my P.F, as I had stopped awhile before that.) Am also looking at the elliptical trainer at the fitness center but am hesitant to try for the same reasons.
Ellen

Re: rowing machines or elliptical trainers--good or bad?

sandy h on 3/18/02 at 02:00 (076704)

I was told rowing is bad for back pain. dunno if you have that. i'd like to know about elliptical trainers too. i tried a bit and no harm but only 5 mins at a time certaintly not as bad as jogging or tut tut kung fu (which i did with my daughter last week and hurt like anything two days after). did a slow hike for 3 hours on flat surface yesterday and no major after effects and no bad effects from yoga. Anything with power or violent jerks in it and i find it bad.

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 10:26 (076720)

Hi Sandy,
I'll give the rower a try in a few days after my feet calm down from a flare-up. I did a search on this site and different people have experienced different things. Some have good success with rowers because they are non-impact whereas others seem to think it stretches the achilles tendon a bit too much. I'm thinking that if a person is well stretched before rowing that maybe it would be OK. I've been examining the angle of people's feet while on the Concept 2 rowers and there does appear to be a fairly extreme foot angle while in the forward postion. I won't know 'till I try it, however, and will let you know what I find out.
Ellen

Pamela S on 3/18/02 at 17:17 (076758)

I liked the elliptical trainers, and they didn't aggravate my feet while my PF was fairly acute. I'm almost over it now (it's taken a LONG time!).

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 19:51 (076779)

Hi Pamela,
It's good to know that the elliptical machine might work for some of us. I hope to try it soon.
So glad to hear you are almost over PF! Remember to be extra careful at the stage you are at and not let yourself get reinjured due to feeling too good. I just learned the hard way and can hardly walk at the moment. I'm so happy for you and thanks for sending along your great news, as it makes me feel good whenever I hear that someone is getting better. It gives the rest of us some hope. Also, thanks for your thoughts on the elliptical trainer.
Ellen

John h on 3/19/02 at 18:01 (076875)

there are so many different causes of back pain that i do not think you can identify one particular exercise and say it is good or bad for your particular problem.

sandy h on 3/18/02 at 02:00 (076704)

I was told rowing is bad for back pain. dunno if you have that. i'd like to know about elliptical trainers too. i tried a bit and no harm but only 5 mins at a time certaintly not as bad as jogging or tut tut kung fu (which i did with my daughter last week and hurt like anything two days after). did a slow hike for 3 hours on flat surface yesterday and no major after effects and no bad effects from yoga. Anything with power or violent jerks in it and i find it bad.

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 10:26 (076720)

Hi Sandy,
I'll give the rower a try in a few days after my feet calm down from a flare-up. I did a search on this site and different people have experienced different things. Some have good success with rowers because they are non-impact whereas others seem to think it stretches the achilles tendon a bit too much. I'm thinking that if a person is well stretched before rowing that maybe it would be OK. I've been examining the angle of people's feet while on the Concept 2 rowers and there does appear to be a fairly extreme foot angle while in the forward postion. I won't know 'till I try it, however, and will let you know what I find out.
Ellen

Pamela S on 3/18/02 at 17:17 (076758)

I liked the elliptical trainers, and they didn't aggravate my feet while my PF was fairly acute. I'm almost over it now (it's taken a LONG time!).

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 19:51 (076779)

Hi Pamela,
It's good to know that the elliptical machine might work for some of us. I hope to try it soon.
So glad to hear you are almost over PF! Remember to be extra careful at the stage you are at and not let yourself get reinjured due to feeling too good. I just learned the hard way and can hardly walk at the moment. I'm so happy for you and thanks for sending along your great news, as it makes me feel good whenever I hear that someone is getting better. It gives the rest of us some hope. Also, thanks for your thoughts on the elliptical trainer.
Ellen

John h on 3/19/02 at 18:01 (076875)

there are so many different causes of back pain that i do not think you can identify one particular exercise and say it is good or bad for your particular problem.