Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just out of curiosity....

Posted by Carmen H on 3/16/02 at 23:27 (076616)

How is EVERYONE doing? I mean...are we all having quality of life here?
I hope so...!
I have company in from Seattle...I have been shopping like a crazy maniac.$$$$$$$!!!!! And my feet have hurt like hell! Sorry...but they have. I mean...on my feet....for 5-8 hours a day on hard floors and ouch.
BUT...no matter the pain...I have much more enjoyed her being here than worried about the pain. does anyone else feel that way? That there are some things more important than feeling sorry for ourselves or feeling pain etc.?

Re: Just out of curiosity....

Julie on 3/17/02 at 02:34 (076623)

YES Carmen! Definitely some things are more important than feeling sorry for yourself.

(I can't imagine you feeling sorry for yourself.)

I'm glad you enjoyed your pal's visit.

:o)

Ardee W. on 3/17/02 at 08:35 (076627)

YES, YES, YES.....there are definately more important things than feeling sorry for ourselves. I want to have a thankful heart! The goal is for that to be the anchor but it is nice to have a place to validate the real feelings that get to us, also. But, with the goal of coming back to my anchor.

So happy for your great visit! Carmen! I have new relatives coming this week and then a whole family first part of June and then mother in law and her husband in July. I want to be 'up' for these visits.

It is tough, Carmen... I ignored the advice given so much here, about when in doubt, don't. Friday, I gave up on my Pancreatin Enzyme and took TWO dosages of VIOX to help me get through all day shopping on my feet (8-9 hours) at many different places. Had a great time! Didn't feel sorry for myself. The next day, Saturday, yesterday, I couldn't walk across the floor AND I felt pain in my other foot which up to not had been completely pain free! I spent yesterday CRAWLING ON MY KNEES to get anything and I seriously considered having someone bring over a wheel chair if the weather broke enough for me to go to park across the street with grandkids! These are BIG FIRSTS for me and have really put a damper in my 'carefree' attitude about having fun......

Still, you can always find someone else that is worse off. That's a horrible way to be thankful, though. I am thankful today for:

my Lord's never ending mercies that are new every morning
my husband who listens and trys to understand
my grown sons, daughter in law, and five grandchildren!
other friends and family
sunshine......the promise of spring and warmer weather
being in the same neighborhood block of my grandkids!
having a park in our neighborhood!
THIS WEBSITE!
SORRY SO LONG

Sharon W on 3/17/02 at 08:49 (076628)

Carmen,

Absolutely there are things worth enduring the pain! I am one who can no longer work becsuse of PF and TTS, and even such things as routine grocery shopping can be a real trial. But I just got back from Spain, where my husband and I enjoyed our 25th anniversary trip. Yes, there were times when we were exploring museums or investigating the Thieves' Market when the pain got to me so much I had to take Ultram. And the pod made me wear a walking cast, a pneumatic walker, which I was really mad about at first but I'm grateful for now because it helped to make it possible for me to do more on our trip. But the important thing was NOT the pain, it was being with my husband and enjoying this long-time dream trip together! I wasn't going to let ANYTHING, not even pain, take THAT away from me!

-- Sharon

Rich on 3/17/02 at 10:03 (076635)

Don't we all feel that way? I'm so grateful for the friendships that I share. Yes, sometimes it is worth the pain to live a little! Sounds like you are well focused and enjoying life's little pleasures.

Would love to go shopping again, just spent the morning poring over the shoe ads in the Sunday paper...drooling over pretty sandals!

I'm in one of those pneumatic boots and going stir crazy about now!

Have a Great Day!
Rich

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 11:02 (076639)

HI Carmen , It is great to hear you are enjoying your friend ... I think we all have done things fun wise even in pain . I for one try all the time . Just sitting worry about the pain makes things worse for me . If we fill our minds with just pain , of course we will be in pain . It is good to have a balance .

I don't know how anyone can shop for 8 hours , how in the world do you guys do that ? I am lucky if I can go to the store for 30 minutes and even doing that my pain level is so high ... And that is with my cam walker cast on ..

And yes their is much more important things in life then worry about pain ... I like your attitude , go and enjoy all you can ... With me I am in pain 24 / 7 so it does not matter if I am off or on my feet the pain is always there , but I do enjoy doing little things without the rise of my pain level. I just have to be careful...

Laurie R

Tammie on 3/18/02 at 10:41 (076722)

Carmen , I am glad you are enjoying your visit ! My son is home from college for a week break and I to am enjoying him! Being needed and busy keeps the focus off the reality. That has always been why I keep going, the more you go the less you think, and if it is for others it makes all the pain later worth it!

I used to shop all day, every fri my mother and I and my kids when they wee younger would go all day on Fri and shop till we dropped . We did grocery shopping and any other shopping we liked . I miss those days as I think more then the shopping I loved being with my mom! Those days are gone for now but with changing lives new things can appear! We spent some time together a weekend ago , we went to my grannies and mom cleaned and I gave grannie a shower and set her hair. It was so good to be together and actually helping at the same time. We both left in exhaustion but it was a good kind. I am strting to hate the word pain , and thinking of a new word to substitute it, as someday soon i hope to have it in control , instead of it controlling me! I am so glad that friends here are finding some enjoyment in there lives as that is what makes living happier! Take care and hope the pain stays away and you stay healthy!

Suzanne D on 3/18/02 at 14:28 (076744)

Yes, Carmen. You are right! :-) I determined to go with my daughter and her choir no matter what my feet felt like, and I'm glad I did!

I'm happy you're having a good time with your friend! I found a purple silk blouse at an outlet mall on my trip that had been $85 which I got for $9.99. I like that kind of shopping! :-)

Anthony P on 3/18/02 at 15:16 (076750)

Yes I agree Carmen , To sit around and feel sorry for myself only gets depressing for me . I 'm remodeling my home these days. Doing things gets my mind off the pain for that moment . But even tho my feet are killing me the next day
I'm happy that I got some work done that I couldnt get done before. This spring I want to try bike riding after two years . I cant forget to mention going fishing too : ) Glad to read you had a good time Anthony P

Re: thanks guys!

Carmen H on 3/18/02 at 17:40 (076762)

It's nice to hear positive words....thanks everyone. :-)

Julie on 3/17/02 at 02:34 (076623)

YES Carmen! Definitely some things are more important than feeling sorry for yourself.

(I can't imagine you feeling sorry for yourself.)

I'm glad you enjoyed your pal's visit.

:o)

Ardee W. on 3/17/02 at 08:35 (076627)

YES, YES, YES.....there are definately more important things than feeling sorry for ourselves. I want to have a thankful heart! The goal is for that to be the anchor but it is nice to have a place to validate the real feelings that get to us, also. But, with the goal of coming back to my anchor.

So happy for your great visit! Carmen! I have new relatives coming this week and then a whole family first part of June and then mother in law and her husband in July. I want to be 'up' for these visits.

It is tough, Carmen... I ignored the advice given so much here, about when in doubt, don't. Friday, I gave up on my Pancreatin Enzyme and took TWO dosages of VIOX to help me get through all day shopping on my feet (8-9 hours) at many different places. Had a great time! Didn't feel sorry for myself. The next day, Saturday, yesterday, I couldn't walk across the floor AND I felt pain in my other foot which up to not had been completely pain free! I spent yesterday CRAWLING ON MY KNEES to get anything and I seriously considered having someone bring over a wheel chair if the weather broke enough for me to go to park across the street with grandkids! These are BIG FIRSTS for me and have really put a damper in my 'carefree' attitude about having fun......

Still, you can always find someone else that is worse off. That's a horrible way to be thankful, though. I am thankful today for:

my Lord's never ending mercies that are new every morning
my husband who listens and trys to understand
my grown sons, daughter in law, and five grandchildren!
other friends and family
sunshine......the promise of spring and warmer weather
being in the same neighborhood block of my grandkids!
having a park in our neighborhood!
THIS WEBSITE!
SORRY SO LONG

Sharon W on 3/17/02 at 08:49 (076628)

Carmen,

Absolutely there are things worth enduring the pain! I am one who can no longer work becsuse of PF and TTS, and even such things as routine grocery shopping can be a real trial. But I just got back from Spain, where my husband and I enjoyed our 25th anniversary trip. Yes, there were times when we were exploring museums or investigating the Thieves' Market when the pain got to me so much I had to take Ultram. And the pod made me wear a walking cast, a pneumatic walker, which I was really mad about at first but I'm grateful for now because it helped to make it possible for me to do more on our trip. But the important thing was NOT the pain, it was being with my husband and enjoying this long-time dream trip together! I wasn't going to let ANYTHING, not even pain, take THAT away from me!

-- Sharon

Rich on 3/17/02 at 10:03 (076635)

Don't we all feel that way? I'm so grateful for the friendships that I share. Yes, sometimes it is worth the pain to live a little! Sounds like you are well focused and enjoying life's little pleasures.

Would love to go shopping again, just spent the morning poring over the shoe ads in the Sunday paper...drooling over pretty sandals!

I'm in one of those pneumatic boots and going stir crazy about now!

Have a Great Day!
Rich

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 11:02 (076639)

HI Carmen , It is great to hear you are enjoying your friend ... I think we all have done things fun wise even in pain . I for one try all the time . Just sitting worry about the pain makes things worse for me . If we fill our minds with just pain , of course we will be in pain . It is good to have a balance .

I don't know how anyone can shop for 8 hours , how in the world do you guys do that ? I am lucky if I can go to the store for 30 minutes and even doing that my pain level is so high ... And that is with my cam walker cast on ..

And yes their is much more important things in life then worry about pain ... I like your attitude , go and enjoy all you can ... With me I am in pain 24 / 7 so it does not matter if I am off or on my feet the pain is always there , but I do enjoy doing little things without the rise of my pain level. I just have to be careful...

Laurie R

Tammie on 3/18/02 at 10:41 (076722)

Carmen , I am glad you are enjoying your visit ! My son is home from college for a week break and I to am enjoying him! Being needed and busy keeps the focus off the reality. That has always been why I keep going, the more you go the less you think, and if it is for others it makes all the pain later worth it!

I used to shop all day, every fri my mother and I and my kids when they wee younger would go all day on Fri and shop till we dropped . We did grocery shopping and any other shopping we liked . I miss those days as I think more then the shopping I loved being with my mom! Those days are gone for now but with changing lives new things can appear! We spent some time together a weekend ago , we went to my grannies and mom cleaned and I gave grannie a shower and set her hair. It was so good to be together and actually helping at the same time. We both left in exhaustion but it was a good kind. I am strting to hate the word pain , and thinking of a new word to substitute it, as someday soon i hope to have it in control , instead of it controlling me! I am so glad that friends here are finding some enjoyment in there lives as that is what makes living happier! Take care and hope the pain stays away and you stay healthy!

Suzanne D on 3/18/02 at 14:28 (076744)

Yes, Carmen. You are right! :-) I determined to go with my daughter and her choir no matter what my feet felt like, and I'm glad I did!

I'm happy you're having a good time with your friend! I found a purple silk blouse at an outlet mall on my trip that had been $85 which I got for $9.99. I like that kind of shopping! :-)

Anthony P on 3/18/02 at 15:16 (076750)

Yes I agree Carmen , To sit around and feel sorry for myself only gets depressing for me . I 'm remodeling my home these days. Doing things gets my mind off the pain for that moment . But even tho my feet are killing me the next day
I'm happy that I got some work done that I couldnt get done before. This spring I want to try bike riding after two years . I cant forget to mention going fishing too : ) Glad to read you had a good time Anthony P

Re: thanks guys!

Carmen H on 3/18/02 at 17:40 (076762)

It's nice to hear positive words....thanks everyone. :-)