Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 and a half weeks post-op ANY suggestions?

Posted by Ken A. on 3/17/02 at 03:39 (076624)

Greetings gang. Just wanted to stop by and give you guys an update of my TTS release on 2-28. Everything is still going OK. The first four days I was mostly numb and didnt really feel anything....In the time after that the left foot finally decided to 'wake up'. Some times are better than others...There are some times when I dont feel a thing and sometimes when
I need to pop a pill...I get my stitches out on Monday (3-18) so you guys wish me luck...Following the advice of my DPM and this board, Ice and elevation have reigned supreme...I have been mostly in my bed..the Dr told me that rest is my best ally because then, the body can start to heal itself...My Dr. also told me that everything went well with the surgery...There was a problem with scar tissue and there was a little 'something' in the tunnel that the dr had checked...turned out to be scar tissue and was probably a side effect of the cortizone injections I took...it still hurts sometimes just to have my foot resting (i think its just gravity) and i get a shocking pain, but it is different than before surgery...The doc said the nerve is 'checking itself' and not to worry...There will be no rushing back to work right now and my doc said that we will stay with this as along as it takes and contrary to some of the horror stories I've read, seems to genuinely care...Are there any tips you guys can pass along to me? any clue of recover time? (Dr said at least 8 wks before we know the deal) and any encouragement you guys could pass along would be very helpful...I need it because people just dont understand the disorder and thing after surgery I'm 'Magically healed'...I know my job is gonna try and get me back as early as possible so anything you guys can tell me to help would be appreciated (they leaned on my last Dr. and it created a big mess...) Well I've taken enough of you guys time...I only intended a paragraph and all this happened...well on to pop a pain med
Ken

Re: 2 and a half weeks post-op ANY suggestions?RE KEN

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 10:55 (076638)

Hi Ken , Thank you for your up date . You sound like you are doing really well , keep up with the positive attitude .. Now for your job , my advise is , don't rush going back to work . Listen to your doctor . Everyone heals at a different rate , you did not just go through to mess things up . Time my friend . How many stitches did you get ? I will be having TT release and a fascia release and a fibroma removed soon , I asked my Pod if I would have many stitches and he said no . I have no clue how my foot will hold together ... So did you only have a TT release ? Or did you have a PF release as well?

I wish you only the best on your recovery ... Please don't let anyone rush you back to work ... Laurie R

Re: 2 and a half weeks post-op ANY suggestions?

Missy B on 3/17/02 at 11:43 (076644)

Ken - I am new to this board but posted my experience under - 9 Weeks post
TT/FP surgery - reading this will let you know how I have progressed. Best advice I can give - DO NOT RUSH your recovery. My podiatrist was adamant about taking enough time off for healing because my job requires a lot of standing and walking - but I am going to learn to sit every chance I get. I found 2 other people who had TT/PF surgery years ago and they both have had a complete recovery with no residual pain. Their advice to me was not to rush back to work, follow a daily exercise routine to keep the ligaments and muscles stretched, and limit the amount of time I am on my foot for 6-8 months. This may cramp my summer fun a little, but if I have a chance to live pain free, I will gladly sit out much of this year.

Tammie on 3/18/02 at 12:43 (076734)

Good to hear things are going well for you! Keep it that way !Take each day with alot of patience. Every one heals at there own speed! Dending on the type of work you do will decide when you might return. From what I have heard 12 weeks at least to see more of where u are at in healing. I would expect each will have there own date for healing tho. It seems not to be unusual for longer as for feet seem to take longer. As you walk on them not like a arm where u can put in a sling or cast and you dont need to stand on the arm haha. But just think of this, you are getting stitches out and that is a big step! Hopefully it is healing wonderful and continues to . You have only been at healing for a bit over 2 weeks , that is only a very short time. Relax and dont worry what others think as by now u know if there is nothing to see people cannot understand . I can relate to your frustrated feeling, but remember dont allow them to rush you into healing when you know you are not ready . Take each day a little bit at a time. Do what your dr. advises and dont cheat! Take the medications they recomend and dont play the hero, you want to give your body a break from pain and get your rest! Last of all post here where others really understand what you are feeling and they are great to give you the support on good days and bad! We sure hope the best outcome for you and hope that you keep us posted so that YOU are the next sunshine in our lives to say the surgery worked and you feel great! Praying for you ! Keep the sunshine alive!

Re: Ken

wendyn on 3/18/02 at 13:57 (076738)

Ken, feet heal very slowly - it's going to take a while.

I remember the 'zapping' pain from when I had bunion surgery. It was weird...but I know that everyone told me it was normal.

Good luck with the stiches!! IF you've never had stiches out, it usually is no big deal...unless you are my son when he was 4 and terrified of doctors (he had stitches by his eye so there was no way to hide what they were doing!)

Ken A. on 3/19/02 at 01:54 (076800)

Well went to the doc today (3-18) and he decided to keep the stichs in just to be sure...Doc checkeg my dressing and bandaged me back up...everything's still ok...my job involves standing, walking, running, bending, stooping bending...a very active job...They said everything is gonna be ok...at least for 12 wks as part of FMLA (family medical leave) i hope they will leave me be... I go back next monday...anymore suggestions will be welcomed.....
Thanks all
Ken

Re: 2 and a half weeks post-op ANY suggestions?RE KEN

Laurie R on 3/17/02 at 10:55 (076638)

Hi Ken , Thank you for your up date . You sound like you are doing really well , keep up with the positive attitude .. Now for your job , my advise is , don't rush going back to work . Listen to your doctor . Everyone heals at a different rate , you did not just go through to mess things up . Time my friend . How many stitches did you get ? I will be having TT release and a fascia release and a fibroma removed soon , I asked my Pod if I would have many stitches and he said no . I have no clue how my foot will hold together ... So did you only have a TT release ? Or did you have a PF release as well?

I wish you only the best on your recovery ... Please don't let anyone rush you back to work ... Laurie R

Missy B on 3/17/02 at 11:43 (076644)

Ken - I am new to this board but posted my experience under - 9 Weeks post
TT/FP surgery - reading this will let you know how I have progressed. Best advice I can give - DO NOT RUSH your recovery. My podiatrist was adamant about taking enough time off for healing because my job requires a lot of standing and walking - but I am going to learn to sit every chance I get. I found 2 other people who had TT/PF surgery years ago and they both have had a complete recovery with no residual pain. Their advice to me was not to rush back to work, follow a daily exercise routine to keep the ligaments and muscles stretched, and limit the amount of time I am on my foot for 6-8 months. This may cramp my summer fun a little, but if I have a chance to live pain free, I will gladly sit out much of this year.

Tammie on 3/18/02 at 12:43 (076734)

Good to hear things are going well for you! Keep it that way !Take each day with alot of patience. Every one heals at there own speed! Dending on the type of work you do will decide when you might return. From what I have heard 12 weeks at least to see more of where u are at in healing. I would expect each will have there own date for healing tho. It seems not to be unusual for longer as for feet seem to take longer. As you walk on them not like a arm where u can put in a sling or cast and you dont need to stand on the arm haha. But just think of this, you are getting stitches out and that is a big step! Hopefully it is healing wonderful and continues to . You have only been at healing for a bit over 2 weeks , that is only a very short time. Relax and dont worry what others think as by now u know if there is nothing to see people cannot understand . I can relate to your frustrated feeling, but remember dont allow them to rush you into healing when you know you are not ready . Take each day a little bit at a time. Do what your dr. advises and dont cheat! Take the medications they recomend and dont play the hero, you want to give your body a break from pain and get your rest! Last of all post here where others really understand what you are feeling and they are great to give you the support on good days and bad! We sure hope the best outcome for you and hope that you keep us posted so that YOU are the next sunshine in our lives to say the surgery worked and you feel great! Praying for you ! Keep the sunshine alive!

wendyn on 3/18/02 at 13:57 (076738)

Ken, feet heal very slowly - it's going to take a while.

I remember the 'zapping' pain from when I had bunion surgery. It was weird...but I know that everyone told me it was normal.

Good luck with the stiches!! IF you've never had stiches out, it usually is no big deal...unless you are my son when he was 4 and terrified of doctors (he had stitches by his eye so there was no way to hide what they were doing!)

Ken A. on 3/19/02 at 01:54 (076800)

Well went to the doc today (3-18) and he decided to keep the stichs in just to be sure...Doc checkeg my dressing and bandaged me back up...everything's still ok...my job involves standing, walking, running, bending, stooping bending...a very active job...They said everything is gonna be ok...at least for 12 wks as part of FMLA (family medical leave) i hope they will leave me be... I go back next monday...anymore suggestions will be welcomed.....
Thanks all
Ken