Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Factors for successful surgery

Posted by John k on 3/17/02 at 14:52 (076652)

When it comes to successful PF release surgery or TTS surgery what are predictors of good or bad outcomes?

Re: Factors for successful surgery

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 15:20 (076655)

1. correct diagnosis
2. correct type of surgery
3. skill of doctor
4 experience of doctor
5 luck of the Irish

John k on 3/18/02 at 06:41 (076705)

My pod told me the only person in my area he would let cut on him was a dr. waller so I am going to him. He is ankle and foot orthopedic surgeon. I will check him out and seriously consider his comments or suggestions. I talked to a letter carrier who went from have foot pain to being totally disabled on work comp and walking with a cane due to botched surgery. And now they want to go in for more corrective surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/21/02 at 19:09 (077148)

I would like to believe that numbers 3 and 4 are the most important but that would be a delusion. Number 5 is really the biggest factor.

A surgeon can do ten cases with the utmost of skill and caution -- most will turn out well but some will fail for no identifiable reason.
Ed

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:35 (079237)

For TTS John I think it is very much the skill of the surgeon. Since you are not messing with the stability of the foot like with a PF. Unless your doc accidentally cuts some nerves or something else if he does his job right TTS will not leave you with a lasting problem so he should have good hands, experience, and smart. He can be ugly as that does not count. I have had a TTS exploration and the scar is a good 6' long from edge of heel to well above ankle. No after effects at all.

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:37 (079238)

Dr. Z: In all my reading I do not remember one person that said they were cured of anything from a TTS release or exploration. There must be someone out there but do you not think that this might be an area where to much surgery is performed?

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 15:20 (076655)

1. correct diagnosis
2. correct type of surgery
3. skill of doctor
4 experience of doctor
5 luck of the Irish

John k on 3/18/02 at 06:41 (076705)

My pod told me the only person in my area he would let cut on him was a dr. waller so I am going to him. He is ankle and foot orthopedic surgeon. I will check him out and seriously consider his comments or suggestions. I talked to a letter carrier who went from have foot pain to being totally disabled on work comp and walking with a cane due to botched surgery. And now they want to go in for more corrective surgery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/21/02 at 19:09 (077148)

I would like to believe that numbers 3 and 4 are the most important but that would be a delusion. Number 5 is really the biggest factor.

A surgeon can do ten cases with the utmost of skill and caution -- most will turn out well but some will fail for no identifiable reason.
Ed

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:35 (079237)

For TTS John I think it is very much the skill of the surgeon. Since you are not messing with the stability of the foot like with a PF. Unless your doc accidentally cuts some nerves or something else if he does his job right TTS will not leave you with a lasting problem so he should have good hands, experience, and smart. He can be ugly as that does not count. I have had a TTS exploration and the scar is a good 6' long from edge of heel to well above ankle. No after effects at all.

john h on 4/11/02 at 11:37 (079238)

Dr. Z: In all my reading I do not remember one person that said they were cured of anything from a TTS release or exploration. There must be someone out there but do you not think that this might be an area where to much surgery is performed?