Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Let Scott work on your computer

Posted by Scott R on 3/17/02 at 17:50 (076666)

I found a program that lets me work on other people's computer from my computer. It's like I'm sittgin at their keyboard and they're watching what i do, but it's over the internet and I'm at my own keyboard looking at their computer screen. I'm gonna start charging my family for using my skills, but for friends it'll be free (that was a joke). Maybe I'll sell my time someday over the internet. It only works for Windows PC. So if you want to help me test it out, go to
http://heelspurs.com/ra
I'll be out of town tonight and tomorrow, but maybe when I get back I'll have time to play with it, if anyone wants to help me out.

Re: Let Scott work on your computer

JudyS on 3/17/02 at 18:59 (076673)

I have that software also, Scott. I think it's the NetMeeting function via Microsoft Office 2K, .........my son and I use it occasionally when we want to swap files or when I ask him to check out something on my computer. (He's in Sacramento, I'm 500 miles south of him in San Diego)

Scott R on 3/17/02 at 19:46 (076679)

Judy, do you have windows XP? I've that's the only one that can do. Can you watch your son move your cursor around, take over your keyboard, and execute programs?

wendyn on 3/17/02 at 21:13 (076693)

We have something similar at work. It allows the folks at the help desk to take over your computer while you're talking to them on the phone.

It's weird because you can see your pointer clicking and moving - but no one is moving the mouse.

JudyS on 3/18/02 at 11:26 (076724)

No, Scott, I don't have XP. Neil and I both have Win98-2E......we use NetMeeting - it's a componant of Office2K. And yes, he can move my cursor around and open my files......he essentially 'sees' my desktop.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 17:31 (076870)

Sounds like a Trojan horse. My daughter and her boyfriend infect each others computers with them just to play around and see what they can do. Her boyfriend also uses it at work to manage other company computers over their LAN (he gets paid for that).

But for me, no thanks. Not my cup of tea! I won't even let her infect my computer even though I trust her motives completely. I'm just the little old lady type and Trojan horses and viruses scare me too much. :)

Carole C

Scott R on 3/19/02 at 20:07 (076903)

Yes, a close friend also refused becuase of what the 'trojan horse' program does, but then it just means i won't be able to fix his computer when it breaks or really gets infected.

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 12:59 (078170)

Oh no Scott..this scares me! I hope you are using some sort of encryption to encrypt a nice encrypted tunnel to keep sniffers out!
Argggh! I sell computer security products for a living trying to prevent people from being HACKED.

There was one experiment when once of my collegues left a couple computers alone...and montiored to see how often they were hacked. He did this a couple years ago and then recently. Guess what? A couple years ago, nothing much happened.
Recent experiment, ALL computers were hacked into, one more than a couple times!

Ok, I will hush up now. I am sort of technically challenge (I am in sales) and so I will stop being a mother hen.

-Melissa

Diane O. on 4/27/02 at 20:58 (081390)

Hi Scott
Maybe you can help me with my keyboardÉÉÉÉÉ That is what happens when I press the question sign. ÈÈÈÈwhen I press the quotation sign. I am Canadian, know a bit of french , but not bilingual in any sense of the imagination..LOL
Plus I am very computer stupid
Thanks
Diane O. .É
ÉÉéééÈÈÈèèèÀÀÀàààÇÇÇççç

What the !@#..((&

Scott R on 4/27/02 at 23:23 (081417)

Diane,
If you following the directions on the web page below, maybe I can help.
http://www.heelspurs.com/ra/

JudyS on 3/17/02 at 18:59 (076673)

I have that software also, Scott. I think it's the NetMeeting function via Microsoft Office 2K, .........my son and I use it occasionally when we want to swap files or when I ask him to check out something on my computer. (He's in Sacramento, I'm 500 miles south of him in San Diego)

Scott R on 3/17/02 at 19:46 (076679)

Judy, do you have windows XP? I've that's the only one that can do. Can you watch your son move your cursor around, take over your keyboard, and execute programs?

wendyn on 3/17/02 at 21:13 (076693)

We have something similar at work. It allows the folks at the help desk to take over your computer while you're talking to them on the phone.

It's weird because you can see your pointer clicking and moving - but no one is moving the mouse.

JudyS on 3/18/02 at 11:26 (076724)

No, Scott, I don't have XP. Neil and I both have Win98-2E......we use NetMeeting - it's a componant of Office2K. And yes, he can move my cursor around and open my files......he essentially 'sees' my desktop.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 17:31 (076870)

Sounds like a Trojan horse. My daughter and her boyfriend infect each others computers with them just to play around and see what they can do. Her boyfriend also uses it at work to manage other company computers over their LAN (he gets paid for that).

But for me, no thanks. Not my cup of tea! I won't even let her infect my computer even though I trust her motives completely. I'm just the little old lady type and Trojan horses and viruses scare me too much. :)

Carole C

Scott R on 3/19/02 at 20:07 (076903)

Yes, a close friend also refused becuase of what the 'trojan horse' program does, but then it just means i won't be able to fix his computer when it breaks or really gets infected.

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 12:59 (078170)

Oh no Scott..this scares me! I hope you are using some sort of encryption to encrypt a nice encrypted tunnel to keep sniffers out!
Argggh! I sell computer security products for a living trying to prevent people from being HACKED.

There was one experiment when once of my collegues left a couple computers alone...and montiored to see how often they were hacked. He did this a couple years ago and then recently. Guess what? A couple years ago, nothing much happened.
Recent experiment, ALL computers were hacked into, one more than a couple times!

Ok, I will hush up now. I am sort of technically challenge (I am in sales) and so I will stop being a mother hen.

-Melissa

Diane O. on 4/27/02 at 20:58 (081390)

Hi Scott
Maybe you can help me with my keyboardÉÉÉÉÉ That is what happens when I press the question sign. ÈÈÈÈwhen I press the quotation sign. I am Canadian, know a bit of french , but not bilingual in any sense of the imagination..LOL
Plus I am very computer stupid
Thanks
Diane O. .É
ÉÉéééÈÈÈèèèÀÀÀàààÇÇÇççç

What the !@#..((&

Scott R on 4/27/02 at 23:23 (081417)

Diane,
If you following the directions on the web page below, maybe I can help.
http://www.heelspurs.com/ra/