Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tiny knot on bottom of foot

Posted by carol w on 3/17/02 at 19:19 (076675)

I have had pf on and off for years. I am not overweight. I do have very high arches and don't wear high heels. For many years I wore flats most of the time and went barefoot at home. I have learned this was not optimal care for my type of foot. I am usually good about stretching before I exercise so I have reduced the frequency of my episodes. I love to have my feet rubbed with a high degree of pressure. About eight weeks ago the nail technican discovered a a small knot on the inner boarder of the bottom of my right foot. It is right on the tendon which moves the big toe. The knot is about an inch from the bottom of the ball of the foot. It is not really painful but but sometimes at the end of a day of long walks or a lot of standing I know that it is there, it aches a bit. My boyfriend (Ph.D in physiology and M.D.- not in orthopedics or podiatry) says that it is scar tissue from years of strain. What is this knot/ What casued it? Will it go away? Will it become more painful? Will I get more? I would appreciate being directed to information about this condition.
Thanks!

Re: Tiny knot on bottom of foot

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 19:27 (076677)

Hi

It is probaby a plantar fibrom on the medial distal aspect of the plantar fascia. Good supportive shoes and possible orthosis is important to reduce the stress and strain. These can become painful if not treated correctly

carol w on 3/17/02 at 19:37 (076678)

Thanks for the quick reply! I hae never had an orthotic that was comfortable. I always felt worse while wearing one and afterwards too. I now wear soes with a two inch heel unless I am wearing cross trainers. Not sure what else I should look for in supportive shoes.

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 20:22 (076683)

Use plastizole inserts. You can buy them in any orthopedic shoe store. If you can't find them let me know at (email removed) and I will get them for you

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 19:27 (076677)

Hi

It is probaby a plantar fibrom on the medial distal aspect of the plantar fascia. Good supportive shoes and possible orthosis is important to reduce the stress and strain. These can become painful if not treated correctly

carol w on 3/17/02 at 19:37 (076678)

Thanks for the quick reply! I hae never had an orthotic that was comfortable. I always felt worse while wearing one and afterwards too. I now wear soes with a two inch heel unless I am wearing cross trainers. Not sure what else I should look for in supportive shoes.

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 20:22 (076683)

Use plastizole inserts. You can buy them in any orthopedic shoe store. If you can't find them let me know at (email removed) and I will get them for you