Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercising while healing?

Posted by Carol B. on 3/17/02 at 20:06 (076680)

I do step aerobics 4-5 times per week, and for the last 3 months I have had heal pain. I recently bought new cross training shoes, because I thought my shoes were the problem, but the pain just keeps getting worse. I have read several articles about plantar faciitis and my symtoms match. I am going to start these extra stretches. Do I also have to stop exercising for the pain to stop, and then how do I prevent the injury from coming back?

Re: Exercising while healing?

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 20:23 (076684)

yes. and see a doctor to get a complete evaluation as to what you have and what you need to do to prevent for pain and expensive treatment

IAN D on 3/19/02 at 03:43 (076803)

I have recently had Plantar F. diagnosed and am also unclear about the amount of exercise I am allowed to do in order to allow healing to take place. Up to the diagnosis I was running about 30 miles a week on hard surfaces. I am 57 years old and have never previously had problems. Now I restrict myself to workouts in the gym with only a short amount of time spent on a treadmill. I have prchased new shoes with additional support and also tape my feet when exercising.I have enterd for a half marathon in September 2002. Any advice which would aid a speedy recovery would be gratefully received.

DR Zuckerman on 3/17/02 at 20:23 (076684)

yes. and see a doctor to get a complete evaluation as to what you have and what you need to do to prevent for pain and expensive treatment

IAN D on 3/19/02 at 03:43 (076803)

I have recently had Plantar F. diagnosed and am also unclear about the amount of exercise I am allowed to do in order to allow healing to take place. Up to the diagnosis I was running about 30 miles a week on hard surfaces. I am 57 years old and have never previously had problems. Now I restrict myself to workouts in the gym with only a short amount of time spent on a treadmill. I have prchased new shoes with additional support and also tape my feet when exercising.I have enterd for a half marathon in September 2002. Any advice which would aid a speedy recovery would be gratefully received.