Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF causing knee pain?

Posted by Dana L. on 3/18/02 at 08:57 (076713)

I was diagnosed with PF a few years back. I haven't had any symptoms of this in over a year until a couple of weeks ago. It felt like it was flaring up again but only in the right foot. This time, I am also experiencing knee pain in the right leg. Could my foot be affecting my knee as well? I am a runner, but I have not changed my routine at all. I have been running pain free for a long time now. I don't understand why all of a sudden, I'm having pains in my knee. Thank you.

Re: PF causing knee pain?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/02 at 12:18 (076732)

I am not a foot doctor, but a fellow PF sufferer who also has knee pain. Could it be that when your PF flared up, it may have altered your gait slightly and this might be what is bothering your knee? Just a thought.

Carole C

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 15:16 (076749)

HI Dana,
I'm not a doctor either, but I'm a P.F. sufferer who also got knee pain about a year and a half ago. It lasted for the whole year and a half because I didn't know that exercises to strengthen the Vastus Medialis were so important for runners. I don't know if a weak Vastus Medialis could be causing your problem or if, as Carol mentioned, your gait may have changed or for some other reason. Have you seen a doctor? The problem I had went by different names: Runner's Knee, Patellofemoral Syndrome and Chondromalacia, etc. I tried those little exercises that the doctor prescribed and they weren't quite enough for me (though they work for lots of people) so I developed a technique on the leg extension machine at the gym which really worked without stressing the knee and my knee is fine now. I hope you have seen a doctor to find out the true cause of your knee pain. I've learned that the sooner you can get diagnosed, the better off you are.
Ellen J.

Carmen H on 3/18/02 at 17:40 (076763)

I think it's pretty common to have knee pain with foot problems.

Dana L. on 3/19/02 at 08:40 (076821)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. No, I haven't gone to the doctor concerning this but I plan to soon. Thanks.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/02 at 12:18 (076732)

I am not a foot doctor, but a fellow PF sufferer who also has knee pain. Could it be that when your PF flared up, it may have altered your gait slightly and this might be what is bothering your knee? Just a thought.

Carole C

Ellen on 3/18/02 at 15:16 (076749)

HI Dana,
I'm not a doctor either, but I'm a P.F. sufferer who also got knee pain about a year and a half ago. It lasted for the whole year and a half because I didn't know that exercises to strengthen the Vastus Medialis were so important for runners. I don't know if a weak Vastus Medialis could be causing your problem or if, as Carol mentioned, your gait may have changed or for some other reason. Have you seen a doctor? The problem I had went by different names: Runner's Knee, Patellofemoral Syndrome and Chondromalacia, etc. I tried those little exercises that the doctor prescribed and they weren't quite enough for me (though they work for lots of people) so I developed a technique on the leg extension machine at the gym which really worked without stressing the knee and my knee is fine now. I hope you have seen a doctor to find out the true cause of your knee pain. I've learned that the sooner you can get diagnosed, the better off you are.
Ellen J.

Carmen H on 3/18/02 at 17:40 (076763)

I think it's pretty common to have knee pain with foot problems.

Dana L. on 3/19/02 at 08:40 (076821)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. No, I haven't gone to the doctor concerning this but I plan to soon. Thanks.