Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pinched nerve in foot

Posted by jean G on 3/18/02 at 10:24 (076719)

Went to the podiatrist and said i have a pinched nerve in my right foot. Only hurts when I walk on it. Feels like a ball under
the third and fourth toe. She put a cast on it for a week and said she would give me cortisone in a week if it is not better. I really don't want cortisone. What treatments would help heal the inflammation...I take aspirin occasionally. I have put some ice on it as well. I feel better wearing flip flops instead of the insert I got a Foot Locker. Will this heal on its own and how long would it take? Also should I stay off of it to heal or still walk 2 miles that I have been doing every day. Would appreciate you writing back to me on my e-mail. Thank you for your time.

Re: pinched nerve in foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/18/02 at 16:17 (076754)

What you have is a neuroma condition. The treatment is rest, new wider shoes. padding. We use alcholic injections that work very well. They can avoid the use of a steriod injection. Very important to get the pressure of the adjacent metatarsal bone away from the nerve.

Re: To Dr. Z pinched nerve in foot

Pauline on 3/18/02 at 19:12 (076775)

What affect does the alcohol injection have on the nerve? Does it kill the nerve?

DR Zuckerman on 3/18/02 at 20:19 (076780)

If blocks the ability of the nerve to transmit pain by injuring the basement membrane of some of the nerve cells. I guess you could say it kills the nerve but there isn't any numbness like you will have from excision of the nerve in neuroma surgery

Re: pinched nerve in foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/18/02 at 16:17 (076754)

What you have is a neuroma condition. The treatment is rest, new wider shoes. padding. We use alcholic injections that work very well. They can avoid the use of a steriod injection. Very important to get the pressure of the adjacent metatarsal bone away from the nerve.

Pauline on 3/18/02 at 19:12 (076775)

What affect does the alcohol injection have on the nerve? Does it kill the nerve?

DR Zuckerman on 3/18/02 at 20:19 (076780)

If blocks the ability of the nerve to transmit pain by injuring the basement membrane of some of the nerve cells. I guess you could say it kills the nerve but there isn't any numbness like you will have from excision of the nerve in neuroma surgery