Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My trip and things I learned...:-)

Posted by Suzanne D on 3/18/02 at 14:20 (076741)

Oh, my, I guess I do sound like a teacher...'things I learned'. That's just the first thing I thought of when I started typing! :-)

I returned last night from four good days in Branson, Missouri with my daughte'rs high school choirs. They performed in a choir festival, and we had some time to enjoy shows and shop as well. I was immensely thankful that my feet held up rather well, and I was able to do everything I needed/wanted to do. I don't take that for granted anymore!

Here are some things I learned on the trip! (Excuse my rambling; you all know by now that I can go on and on with a story!) :-)

-High schoolers aren't all that different from first graders: they need and want attention and affirmation that they are special. I ended up fixing many of the girl's hair. That was funny as I never have fixed anyone's hair but mine and my daughters'. But I did used to enjoy fixing all my doll's hair! The girls in the show choir (of which my daughter is a part) were to have their hair curly with a fancy barrette at the top. Four of the seven said they couldn't, theirs wouldn't hold curl, etc. So I set to work armed with electric rollers which we borrowed from anyone who brought them and my gel and hair spray which would hold in the weather on Carole's ship! They were so happy and felt so special when we were done that it made me feel good. Then the next night when we were going on a boat to eat and see a show, several came up and asked me to fix their hair. Some of these were in the other choirs - one especially tugged at my heart. She didn't have any pretty clothes with her or anything for her hair. She came up and asked me if I would curl her hair. I asked how she would like it fixed, and she said, 'Just make me pretty. Can you do that?' I told her with her huge brown eyes, she was beautiful, and we went to work. I don't think she had ever had her hair curled, and it did well. We borrowed a barrette, and she said, 'I AM pretty, aren't I? Do you think anyone else will say so?' I think she had a nice evening.

-Stretching, stretching, stretching really does help! I don't think I've done it enough! On the trip, I really was concerned about the long time sitting on the bus (12 hours) and how stiff I would be. But luckily I ended up on the front seat, next to the aisle. My long legs were just the right length to stretch completely out and press my foot flat against a metal pole. I did this, switching legs, continually. To my surprise, after 2 - 3 hours of sitting, when I stood, my feet, knees and legs felt better than when I drive 20 minutes to town and get out at a store.

-Good supportive walking shoes really were a must. I was so thankful I had gotten my SAS Free Time shoes a week or so before the trip. As much as I like my Birks, walking up and down hills (in the rain) would not have been easy in them. The Birk inserts inside these shoes really seem to be a good combination for me.

-Attitude really does make a difference in everything. Since I was 34 when my youngest was born, I knew I would be 10 years or more older than many of the other moms. But there seemed to be two groups of us adults: the complainers who were looking for the kids to mess up and the positive ones who (though we got tired!) kept going and smiled and tried to look for the good in the kids and show them we cared. I think we had the best time.

Well, sorry for the 'sermonizing' here, but I wanted to share with you some of my thoughts. I want you all to know that I thought of you each and every day and hoped for good things for each of you. I was glad to get home to see the rest of my family and to catch up on the lives of my friends who post here.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Suzanne :-)

Re: My trip and things I learned...:-)

wendyn on 3/18/02 at 15:02 (076747)

Thanks Suzanne - it sounds like you had a great time!

Laurie R on 3/18/02 at 15:42 (076752)

Dear Suzanne , It does sound like you had a wonderful trip . I love kids of all ages , I also have a teen she is 14 , I love her friends , then I have a daughter that is going to be 9 . I feel teens need more attention then little ones. They try to be grown ups , but they still have that little child inside them . Bless your heart for doing the one girls hair , of course she was beautiful .Your right with a positive attitude you can have the best times , even with kids.....LOL .... I glad you had fun ..... Laurie R

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/02 at 17:32 (076760)

Suzanne, I think grown-ups are a lot like first graders too. We all want attention and affirmation that we are special. I think that a good supervisor recognizes this and tries to make each employee feel that they contribute something special to the group, and gives each employee some attention.

That must be SOME hair spray to hold that well! LOL My hair on the ship got blown every which way and stood some of it almost on end (part? what part?) and the wind and saltwater simultaneously curled it up like Shirley Temple (but still long and grey). Actually it looked kind of cute, I thought. Sort of the 'mad as a hatter Shirley' look. (grin)

I'm so glad that the stretching and your new SAS shoes worked out so well for you! It sounds like you all had a great time. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/19/02 at 18:50 (076887)

Suzanne,

I saw an ad for Bronson over the weekend and thought of you and wondered if you were having a good time. Just like I would if a friend of mine was there. Then I realized, you ARE a friend of mine and I thought thatsome good has come from having PF!

I'm so glad your feet held out and you had a good time. I bet the girls really enjoyed having you along. One of the best things about really good teachers are that they relate to all kids, no matter what their age. And I think you obviously are a good teacher and love kids. I'll bet you made that girl feel pretty and that's so important. Good for you!

It's true - teenagers are much like first graders. Because I only worked part-time, I was home when my kids came home from school and it was amazing how many of their friends would come over and the things they would want to talk about. It was like they needed an adult to share their day with them - right then, not later. I have always been so grateful that I was able to have that time. And I often look back on the advice I gave and hope it was right! Luckily, they mostly just needed someone to listen. I found this to be true of both my son and daughter but more so with the girls. High school can be so tough.

Now, a question for you and it's really stupid. I read back on past postings but I can't figure it out. Are SAS shoes built like running shoes? You know, oxford type shoes? Or are they more like a Birk? And do you just buy them in a shoe store? I would just love to wear something other than my Asics and if my orthotics fit into SAS shoes, maybe they would work.

Thanks a lot and I'm so glad that after that very rough few weeks, you had a good trip! Welcome home!

Re: for Kathy...

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 19:26 (076896)

I always enjoy reading your posts, Kathy. You are positive and kind, and I appreciate you!

Your children's friends were lucky to have you there for them. I'm sure you gave them good advice and that they will appreciate what you did for them more and more in years to come.

Thanks for your nice comments to me.

As for your question, first, it is not stupid! As far as SAS shoes go, I did not realize until coming to this board how hard they can be to find. There is no website, but I have here a brochure that I received when I bought my shoes. I would be more than happy to mail it to you if you would like to e-mail your mailing address to me:

(email removed)

The brochure shows pictures of the 22 styles of shoes they sell and explains their construction. I buy them in a shoe store near me which is not a chain and has been there for many years. They carry many different brands, including SAS, and will order SAS shoes - any size, style - if they don't have what you need.

The walking shoes which I have are built something like an athletic shoe for lack of another comparison. They lace up and have a removable foot bed. I usually wear a narrow but got a medium which allows room for my Birk inserts.

Here is an address and phone number which is listed on the brochure:
SAS Shoemakers
1717 SAS Drive
San Antonio, TX 78224

(210)921-7415

Just send me an e-mail if you would like the brochure. I'd be happy to send it to you!

wendyn on 3/18/02 at 15:02 (076747)

Thanks Suzanne - it sounds like you had a great time!

Laurie R on 3/18/02 at 15:42 (076752)

Dear Suzanne , It does sound like you had a wonderful trip . I love kids of all ages , I also have a teen she is 14 , I love her friends , then I have a daughter that is going to be 9 . I feel teens need more attention then little ones. They try to be grown ups , but they still have that little child inside them . Bless your heart for doing the one girls hair , of course she was beautiful .Your right with a positive attitude you can have the best times , even with kids.....LOL .... I glad you had fun ..... Laurie R

Carole C in NOLA on 3/18/02 at 17:32 (076760)

Suzanne, I think grown-ups are a lot like first graders too. We all want attention and affirmation that we are special. I think that a good supervisor recognizes this and tries to make each employee feel that they contribute something special to the group, and gives each employee some attention.

That must be SOME hair spray to hold that well! LOL My hair on the ship got blown every which way and stood some of it almost on end (part? what part?) and the wind and saltwater simultaneously curled it up like Shirley Temple (but still long and grey). Actually it looked kind of cute, I thought. Sort of the 'mad as a hatter Shirley' look. (grin)

I'm so glad that the stretching and your new SAS shoes worked out so well for you! It sounds like you all had a great time. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/19/02 at 18:50 (076887)

Suzanne,

I saw an ad for Bronson over the weekend and thought of you and wondered if you were having a good time. Just like I would if a friend of mine was there. Then I realized, you ARE a friend of mine and I thought thatsome good has come from having PF!

I'm so glad your feet held out and you had a good time. I bet the girls really enjoyed having you along. One of the best things about really good teachers are that they relate to all kids, no matter what their age. And I think you obviously are a good teacher and love kids. I'll bet you made that girl feel pretty and that's so important. Good for you!

It's true - teenagers are much like first graders. Because I only worked part-time, I was home when my kids came home from school and it was amazing how many of their friends would come over and the things they would want to talk about. It was like they needed an adult to share their day with them - right then, not later. I have always been so grateful that I was able to have that time. And I often look back on the advice I gave and hope it was right! Luckily, they mostly just needed someone to listen. I found this to be true of both my son and daughter but more so with the girls. High school can be so tough.

Now, a question for you and it's really stupid. I read back on past postings but I can't figure it out. Are SAS shoes built like running shoes? You know, oxford type shoes? Or are they more like a Birk? And do you just buy them in a shoe store? I would just love to wear something other than my Asics and if my orthotics fit into SAS shoes, maybe they would work.

Thanks a lot and I'm so glad that after that very rough few weeks, you had a good trip! Welcome home!

Re: for Kathy...

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 19:26 (076896)

I always enjoy reading your posts, Kathy. You are positive and kind, and I appreciate you!

Your children's friends were lucky to have you there for them. I'm sure you gave them good advice and that they will appreciate what you did for them more and more in years to come.

Thanks for your nice comments to me.

As for your question, first, it is not stupid! As far as SAS shoes go, I did not realize until coming to this board how hard they can be to find. There is no website, but I have here a brochure that I received when I bought my shoes. I would be more than happy to mail it to you if you would like to e-mail your mailing address to me:

(email removed)

The brochure shows pictures of the 22 styles of shoes they sell and explains their construction. I buy them in a shoe store near me which is not a chain and has been there for many years. They carry many different brands, including SAS, and will order SAS shoes - any size, style - if they don't have what you need.

The walking shoes which I have are built something like an athletic shoe for lack of another comparison. They lace up and have a removable foot bed. I usually wear a narrow but got a medium which allows room for my Birk inserts.

Here is an address and phone number which is listed on the brochure:
SAS Shoemakers
1717 SAS Drive
San Antonio, TX 78224

(210)921-7415

Just send me an e-mail if you would like the brochure. I'd be happy to send it to you!