Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MY "Trip" and things I learned!!!!!

Posted by CatherineL on 3/19/02 at 11:00 (076828)

Hi all,

I took a trip too!!!

Late last night!,,, in the parking lot of the university

I tripped over a mound of snow, went over on my ankle, stumbled like a fool trying to keep my balance with an armfull, and hobbled the remaining 10feet to my car.

So, now I have chronic PF in both feet and a sore right foot! Maybe the walking boot/cast would be a good idea about now, to help both my problems (not that I only have two problems - that would be nice, just that I have two on one foot now!!!)

Something I 'learned' on my 'trip' - Never think things couldn't get worse ;-]

Catherine

Re: MY "Trip" and things I learned!!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 12:09 (076837)

Oh no! Catherine, I'm so sorry about what happened to you.

That instinct not to drop things when we trip has really messed me up in the past too. Months later I may still hurt from a fall, even though I don't remember what I tried so hard not to drop!

Don't forget ice, gentle stretching, anti-inflammatories... whatever works for you.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 18:32 (076884)

I'm sorry about your 'trip', Catherine. Before my trip which I wrote about in a thread below, you may have read about my fall from standing in a chair in my classroom hanging up decorations. My ankle twisted, too, and I fell hard on my backside. Ouch! And I did it in front of all my first graders who will no doubt remember into adulthood their teacher doing such a graceful stunt! :-)

I hope you feel better soon! I ended up going to a chiropractor as the pain in my behind was getting worse. That seemed to help.

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 18:41 (076886)

How are you feeling now, Suzanne? Are the aftereffects from your fall still hurting? I hope not.

As I recall, you have been teaching over 20 years, and maybe 25 kids per class? That would be 500 wonderful, valuable human beings you have taught and helped to grow into good and effective adults. I think you deserve a nice sturdy stepstool (and more!) for your efforts. Actually, you deserve a dreamhouse, a snazzy sports car, and a European holiday, but lets start one step at a time here with a stepstool. (grin)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/19/02 at 18:53 (076888)

Oh Catherine, thta is not the kind of trip you should be taking!

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. Make sure you have the foot looked at. I sprained my ankle back in October and it still is swollen and hurts. I suppose that one way to look at it is that if your feet are going to hurt, they may as well hurt everywhere not just in a few places!

I hope you feel better real soon!

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 18:54 (076889)

Thanks, Carole! You can always lift my spirits! :-) A dreamhouse, snazzy sports car, and a European holiday...Let's see - that brings to mind Magnum P.I. in his snazzy car; if he could get his long legs in it, surely I could, too! :-) I could do without a dreamhouse if I just had someone to help clean the house I'm in! But a trip to see Julie in England and Clara in Sweden and then Wendy in Canada would be terrific! :-) Nice to think about...

In the meantime, I think I'll buy a stepstool.

I'm still a little sore, but it's much better than it was. Thanks for asking.

Suzanne :-)

Sharon W on 3/20/02 at 07:34 (076952)

Catherine,

Sorry that happened to you; it sounds very painful.

I did the same thing once, but not quite so glamorous. Lights were out in the living room, kids were watching some scary movie and my daughter had taken her shoes off and left them in the passageway... Of course, I tripped over them -- didn't actually fall down, just landed real hard on my bad foot and I could FEEL my PF tear. Took several weeks to get back to 'normal'.

-- Sharon

Re: MY "Trip" - update!!!

CatherineL on 3/20/02 at 10:39 (076971)

Thanx all,

I feel fairly good today, all things considered. Last night we had a town meeting, and was there until 11p.m., after a full day of work. Needless to say, my foot was quite swollen, but not hobbling any worse today. Swelling was goin this a.m. and I'm still considering whether or not to get it checked - It's lightly brused on the leftside from bottom of the ankle to near the 2 outter toes of my left foot and my whole foot below the ankle swells just enough to make my shoe very snugg - but still fit.

Suzanne, I read your trip post and thought of my 'trip' and thought it was a funny way to title my own post and I started chuckling away to myself - at work in my little cubicle, all by myself. Warped sense of humor that day. I remember your post about your fall. I was lucky enough not to actually fall on my face - or backside and injure anything ELSE! Hope your back and ankle are much better!

My stunt was VERY graceful as well, and witnessed by several university classmates! Lucky it was dark - so the whole world didn't see me do that! In retrospect, it would have looked MUCH more graceful to have just allowed myself to fall on my face - than stumble uncontrolably for 10 feet!

Thanx
Catherine

Re: Before you try the boot..read this

Rich on 3/20/02 at 16:23 (077017)

I just had to reply about your trip...my first day in the boot/cast, my 'gracefulness' eluded me. I was wheeling myself to the wastebasket, trying to be useful and using my office chair instead of putting weight on my foot, when the chair slid out from under me. I sprawled on the floor, luckily cushioned by an ample rear end with the chair on top of me. My kids freaked out, ran to get my husband who came running to my rescue. Imagine his surprise, then anger, when he realized the tears running down my face were from laughter not pain. He almost left me there on the floor! It was not very graceful getting back up with this clumsy boot! Thankfully, this happened at home with few 'witnesses'! LOL

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 12:09 (076837)

Oh no! Catherine, I'm so sorry about what happened to you.

That instinct not to drop things when we trip has really messed me up in the past too. Months later I may still hurt from a fall, even though I don't remember what I tried so hard not to drop!

Don't forget ice, gentle stretching, anti-inflammatories... whatever works for you.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 18:32 (076884)

I'm sorry about your 'trip', Catherine. Before my trip which I wrote about in a thread below, you may have read about my fall from standing in a chair in my classroom hanging up decorations. My ankle twisted, too, and I fell hard on my backside. Ouch! And I did it in front of all my first graders who will no doubt remember into adulthood their teacher doing such a graceful stunt! :-)

I hope you feel better soon! I ended up going to a chiropractor as the pain in my behind was getting worse. That seemed to help.

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/19/02 at 18:41 (076886)

How are you feeling now, Suzanne? Are the aftereffects from your fall still hurting? I hope not.

As I recall, you have been teaching over 20 years, and maybe 25 kids per class? That would be 500 wonderful, valuable human beings you have taught and helped to grow into good and effective adults. I think you deserve a nice sturdy stepstool (and more!) for your efforts. Actually, you deserve a dreamhouse, a snazzy sports car, and a European holiday, but lets start one step at a time here with a stepstool. (grin)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/19/02 at 18:53 (076888)

Oh Catherine, thta is not the kind of trip you should be taking!

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. Make sure you have the foot looked at. I sprained my ankle back in October and it still is swollen and hurts. I suppose that one way to look at it is that if your feet are going to hurt, they may as well hurt everywhere not just in a few places!

I hope you feel better real soon!

Suzanne D on 3/19/02 at 18:54 (076889)

Thanks, Carole! You can always lift my spirits! :-) A dreamhouse, snazzy sports car, and a European holiday...Let's see - that brings to mind Magnum P.I. in his snazzy car; if he could get his long legs in it, surely I could, too! :-) I could do without a dreamhouse if I just had someone to help clean the house I'm in! But a trip to see Julie in England and Clara in Sweden and then Wendy in Canada would be terrific! :-) Nice to think about...

In the meantime, I think I'll buy a stepstool.

I'm still a little sore, but it's much better than it was. Thanks for asking.

Suzanne :-)

Sharon W on 3/20/02 at 07:34 (076952)

Catherine,

Sorry that happened to you; it sounds very painful.

I did the same thing once, but not quite so glamorous. Lights were out in the living room, kids were watching some scary movie and my daughter had taken her shoes off and left them in the passageway... Of course, I tripped over them -- didn't actually fall down, just landed real hard on my bad foot and I could FEEL my PF tear. Took several weeks to get back to 'normal'.

-- Sharon

Re: MY "Trip" - update!!!

CatherineL on 3/20/02 at 10:39 (076971)

Thanx all,

I feel fairly good today, all things considered. Last night we had a town meeting, and was there until 11p.m., after a full day of work. Needless to say, my foot was quite swollen, but not hobbling any worse today. Swelling was goin this a.m. and I'm still considering whether or not to get it checked - It's lightly brused on the leftside from bottom of the ankle to near the 2 outter toes of my left foot and my whole foot below the ankle swells just enough to make my shoe very snugg - but still fit.

Suzanne, I read your trip post and thought of my 'trip' and thought it was a funny way to title my own post and I started chuckling away to myself - at work in my little cubicle, all by myself. Warped sense of humor that day. I remember your post about your fall. I was lucky enough not to actually fall on my face - or backside and injure anything ELSE! Hope your back and ankle are much better!

My stunt was VERY graceful as well, and witnessed by several university classmates! Lucky it was dark - so the whole world didn't see me do that! In retrospect, it would have looked MUCH more graceful to have just allowed myself to fall on my face - than stumble uncontrolably for 10 feet!

Thanx
Catherine

Re: Before you try the boot..read this

Rich on 3/20/02 at 16:23 (077017)

I just had to reply about your trip...my first day in the boot/cast, my 'gracefulness' eluded me. I was wheeling myself to the wastebasket, trying to be useful and using my office chair instead of putting weight on my foot, when the chair slid out from under me. I sprawled on the floor, luckily cushioned by an ample rear end with the chair on top of me. My kids freaked out, ran to get my husband who came running to my rescue. Imagine his surprise, then anger, when he realized the tears running down my face were from laughter not pain. He almost left me there on the floor! It was not very graceful getting back up with this clumsy boot! Thankfully, this happened at home with few 'witnesses'! LOL