Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heel pain

Posted by Frances B. on 3/20/02 at 00:05 (076939)

I have a heel pain that does not go away. It is so bad when I am driving that I have to talke my shoe off. I am on my feet a lot but, please help.

Re: heel pain

Carmen H on 3/20/02 at 07:31 (076951)

Frances read the heel pain book on the home page of this site and get your questions and your history of your pain together. You will receive the best help if you have what you have tried so far to treat it written down for the doctors review.

Erika O on 3/21/02 at 08:52 (077086)

For a few months I have had heel pains. During the night if I had to go to the bathroom I felt like an old person (39 years). My heels were very painful. It felt like swolen heels with a little bit of pin and needles feeling. Now it is so bad that my heels pain the whole day. If I had walked and I sit down it pain. If I start walking it is sore and eventually the pain leeves until I sit down again. It is terrible. It started to change my shoes, buth it didn't help. One year ago I started with low blood platelets. My bloodplates is never more than 90. I have blue markes on my legs and my arms. Sometimes there is nothing on my arm. The next minute there is a little 'blue mark' and then I realise there was bleeding inside. My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon because he is afraid that the low blood platelets have something to do with my heels. He also made a diagnoses. He thinks I have idiopatic trombocitomy. Well the orthopaedic surgeon believes that I am in the beginning of forming sporangium (I do not know how you say it in English and hope the word is correct). It was not on the X-rays. According to him something start to calcify and then this is formed and because it is in the beginning stage you cannot see it on the X-ray. Because there is inflammation in my heel he suggested that I come for 4 Cortizone injections in each heel. I do no the side-effects of cortizone. What must I do? Is this the best medication/treatment? If I stay like this - going on with the pain. What will be the end-result?

I hope you can help me.

Thanking you in anticipation

Erika Oosthuysen

Frances B. on 3/21/02 at 11:07 (077105)

Thank you for the e-mail. Sorry you are in so much pain from your heels. I do not know if the shots work or not. But, I say anything is worth a try. If the shots work let me know. I have such pain in my right heel I can barely walk. I work as a c.n.a. which is bad for my feet. My pain goes from one side of my heel to the other. When I get up in the morning I look like one of the patients that I take care of. I have had this condition for about six months. I haven't been to a doctor yet,but, intend to shortly. My pain never goes away. It is there day and night only less severe at night. I would love to hear about you progress with your heels. Please write me back. Thanks for the e-mail

Frances Betourne

Julie on 3/21/02 at 16:05 (077125)

Frances: please see a doctor right away. Your heel pain will not get better without a diagnosis and treatment that addresses the cause of the pain. Six months is TOO LONG to have had it without consulting a doctor. Plantar fasciitis does not go away by itself and can become chronic if not dealt with.

richie e on 3/24/02 at 07:01 (077375)

My mother is 78 years and has a heel spur. She is having alot of pain and I was wondering what the best treatment would be for her. She is putting ice on it, and taking pain medicine. Could she soak her foot in epson salt. What do you suggest. Thanks!

Richie

Re: RICHIE and ERIKA

Carmen H on 3/24/02 at 17:53 (077434)

Please repost your information again and use 'Attn: Doctors' as your subject line.

Carmen H on 3/20/02 at 07:31 (076951)

Frances read the heel pain book on the home page of this site and get your questions and your history of your pain together. You will receive the best help if you have what you have tried so far to treat it written down for the doctors review.

Erika O on 3/21/02 at 08:52 (077086)

For a few months I have had heel pains. During the night if I had to go to the bathroom I felt like an old person (39 years). My heels were very painful. It felt like swolen heels with a little bit of pin and needles feeling. Now it is so bad that my heels pain the whole day. If I had walked and I sit down it pain. If I start walking it is sore and eventually the pain leeves until I sit down again. It is terrible. It started to change my shoes, buth it didn't help. One year ago I started with low blood platelets. My bloodplates is never more than 90. I have blue markes on my legs and my arms. Sometimes there is nothing on my arm. The next minute there is a little 'blue mark' and then I realise there was bleeding inside. My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon because he is afraid that the low blood platelets have something to do with my heels. He also made a diagnoses. He thinks I have idiopatic trombocitomy. Well the orthopaedic surgeon believes that I am in the beginning of forming sporangium (I do not know how you say it in English and hope the word is correct). It was not on the X-rays. According to him something start to calcify and then this is formed and because it is in the beginning stage you cannot see it on the X-ray. Because there is inflammation in my heel he suggested that I come for 4 Cortizone injections in each heel. I do no the side-effects of cortizone. What must I do? Is this the best medication/treatment? If I stay like this - going on with the pain. What will be the end-result?

I hope you can help me.

Thanking you in anticipation

Erika Oosthuysen

Frances B. on 3/21/02 at 11:07 (077105)

Thank you for the e-mail. Sorry you are in so much pain from your heels. I do not know if the shots work or not. But, I say anything is worth a try. If the shots work let me know. I have such pain in my right heel I can barely walk. I work as a c.n.a. which is bad for my feet. My pain goes from one side of my heel to the other. When I get up in the morning I look like one of the patients that I take care of. I have had this condition for about six months. I haven't been to a doctor yet,but, intend to shortly. My pain never goes away. It is there day and night only less severe at night. I would love to hear about you progress with your heels. Please write me back. Thanks for the e-mail

Frances Betourne

Julie on 3/21/02 at 16:05 (077125)

Frances: please see a doctor right away. Your heel pain will not get better without a diagnosis and treatment that addresses the cause of the pain. Six months is TOO LONG to have had it without consulting a doctor. Plantar fasciitis does not go away by itself and can become chronic if not dealt with.

richie e on 3/24/02 at 07:01 (077375)

My mother is 78 years and has a heel spur. She is having alot of pain and I was wondering what the best treatment would be for her. She is putting ice on it, and taking pain medicine. Could she soak her foot in epson salt. What do you suggest. Thanks!

Richie

Re: RICHIE and ERIKA

Carmen H on 3/24/02 at 17:53 (077434)

Please repost your information again and use 'Attn: Doctors' as your subject line.