Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

taping

Posted by jon p on 3/20/02 at 15:57 (077009)

when taping what potion should the foot / stroke toes be in should I pull my toes in to raise the soleupand tape in that position

Re: taping

Julie on 3/20/02 at 16:23 (077018)

Jon, the position of the foot when taping depends on the tension you need: that varies with the individual, so you need to experiment. I found that dorsiflexing my foot gently (pulling the toes back but not too hard) gave me the right tension. If I held my foot in neutral, the tape was too tight when I stood up.

The right tension is tight enough to give support and relieve pain, not tight enough to cause pain.

Make sure you use a good quality tape - one that holds its tension through a day's activities (they don't all) and make sure you remove it at night to allow the skin to recover. Remove it slowly, peeling it back GENTLY! Don't yank it off quickly (like our John H did).

elise m on 3/20/02 at 16:30 (077020)

The athletic tape shown on this website is not strong enough to provide day long support. Suggest moleskin bought at a pharamacy.

Re: taping - ps

Julie on 3/20/02 at 16:35 (077023)

Leuko tape is excellent - you can buy it on line at http://www.medsupplyco.com/JOB76168.shtml

jon p on 3/21/02 at 05:15 (077071)

Julie

Thanks

I tried it like you suggested taping on a daily basis is not cheap and really requires someone else to put tape on. Do you tape yourself and if so how - along the sole ie heel toe round or what

Julie on 3/21/02 at 07:00 (077077)

No, Jon, you don't need anyone to put the tape on for you. Please check out the simple techniques in the heel pain book. I used the two-strip technique: two strips of tape running from the ball of the foot to the heel (the tape going just about 1/4 inch up the back of the heel). I did not cross the strips over as the illustration shows, just overlapped them a little.

I don't need tape any more, but when I did it was extremely helpful, and well worth the expense. I reckon the Leuko tape, at $15 a roll, would last you up to a month. I'd call 50 cents a day a bargain if it relieved my pain!

john h on 3/21/02 at 09:48 (077094)

Julie: I think I pay $7.95 for the same size roll of Leuko tape. I will check the size of the roll today but the box looks the same.

Julie on 3/21/02 at 09:57 (077097)

That sounds a good price, John. I saw the $15 price on one of the websites. I was paying ?6 (that's 6 pounds in case my pound sign turns into a question mark) which is about equivalent to $7.95. It's not expensive for a strong tension-holding tape.

jon p on 3/21/02 at 16:17 (077128)

Julie

I have just realised I am not sure if dorsiflexing means pulling the toes up as in away from the ground or back towards the heel which has the effect of lifting the sole of the foot of the ground aa bit.

Julie on 3/21/02 at 16:20 (077129)

Dorsiflexing is bending the foot backwards at the ankle (bringing your toes towards you).

Plantarflexing is bending the foot forwards at the ankle (pointing your toes away from you).

Neutral is doing neither.

jon p on 3/22/02 at 09:31 (077187)

Julie

Thanks what is the criteria for a good tape - at the moment I'm using Leuco tape but it is not that available round here, only in London. There are other zinc oxide tapes though

Do you know about other forms of taping - something I've tried or had to try is taping across the shoulders to support and improve posture

Julie on 3/22/02 at 10:01 (077195)

I would say that the criterion for a good tape is strength: the capacity to hold its tension through a day's activities. Leuko tape has this, and as it is the only tape I know, I can't recommend any others.

No, I don't know about other forms of taping. How did you use it on your shoulders, and what did it do for you?

jon p on 3/22/02 at 10:57 (077205)

My physio used it to create good posture by using the tape in an x accross my shoulder and back to persuade my body to be in the correct position thereby allowing muscles to learn how I should be standing.

Short term measure but very efective when my body gets out of alignement

john h on 3/22/02 at 11:00 (077206)

Julie always forgets to tell you that if you are fashion concious the Leuko Tape comes in flesh tone. I order mine from a wholesale house who sell it to me because no one in our area sell it otherwise I would have to be a dealer. I will post their website again but it is at home and not with me here at work. They have a great catalog of all sorts of orthopedic supplies including night splints and rehabilative equipment. I also like the two strip method of taping that Julie first suggested to me because it is fast and does not require much tape.

Julie on 3/22/02 at 11:11 (077211)

I guess I forget because I've never seen it, John. I think it must be a Yankee variation. I'm not especially fashion conscious, but your enthusiasm for flesh-coloured Leuko tape almost makes me wish I had PF again....no, not really.

jon p on 3/22/02 at 11:35 (077217)

In England you get flech coloured Leuco tape in chemists and there is a hospital grade which is white there is also leucoplast what is that. It is late afternoon here is this site based in us

jon p on 4/16/02 at 13:25 (079843)

Is there an optimal tape width ie will several say 4 narrow strips do the same as 4 wider strips

Julie on 3/20/02 at 16:23 (077018)

Jon, the position of the foot when taping depends on the tension you need: that varies with the individual, so you need to experiment. I found that dorsiflexing my foot gently (pulling the toes back but not too hard) gave me the right tension. If I held my foot in neutral, the tape was too tight when I stood up.

The right tension is tight enough to give support and relieve pain, not tight enough to cause pain.

Make sure you use a good quality tape - one that holds its tension through a day's activities (they don't all) and make sure you remove it at night to allow the skin to recover. Remove it slowly, peeling it back GENTLY! Don't yank it off quickly (like our John H did).

elise m on 3/20/02 at 16:30 (077020)

The athletic tape shown on this website is not strong enough to provide day long support. Suggest moleskin bought at a pharamacy.

Julie on 3/20/02 at 16:35 (077023)

Leuko tape is excellent - you can buy it on line at http://www.medsupplyco.com/JOB76168.shtml

jon p on 3/21/02 at 05:15 (077071)

Julie

Thanks

I tried it like you suggested taping on a daily basis is not cheap and really requires someone else to put tape on. Do you tape yourself and if so how - along the sole ie heel toe round or what

Julie on 3/21/02 at 07:00 (077077)

No, Jon, you don't need anyone to put the tape on for you. Please check out the simple techniques in the heel pain book. I used the two-strip technique: two strips of tape running from the ball of the foot to the heel (the tape going just about 1/4 inch up the back of the heel). I did not cross the strips over as the illustration shows, just overlapped them a little.

I don't need tape any more, but when I did it was extremely helpful, and well worth the expense. I reckon the Leuko tape, at $15 a roll, would last you up to a month. I'd call 50 cents a day a bargain if it relieved my pain!

john h on 3/21/02 at 09:48 (077094)

Julie: I think I pay $7.95 for the same size roll of Leuko tape. I will check the size of the roll today but the box looks the same.

Julie on 3/21/02 at 09:57 (077097)

That sounds a good price, John. I saw the $15 price on one of the websites. I was paying ?6 (that's 6 pounds in case my pound sign turns into a question mark) which is about equivalent to $7.95. It's not expensive for a strong tension-holding tape.

jon p on 3/21/02 at 16:17 (077128)

Julie

I have just realised I am not sure if dorsiflexing means pulling the toes up as in away from the ground or back towards the heel which has the effect of lifting the sole of the foot of the ground aa bit.

Julie on 3/21/02 at 16:20 (077129)

Dorsiflexing is bending the foot backwards at the ankle (bringing your toes towards you).

Plantarflexing is bending the foot forwards at the ankle (pointing your toes away from you).

Neutral is doing neither.

jon p on 3/22/02 at 09:31 (077187)

Julie

Thanks what is the criteria for a good tape - at the moment I'm using Leuco tape but it is not that available round here, only in London. There are other zinc oxide tapes though

Do you know about other forms of taping - something I've tried or had to try is taping across the shoulders to support and improve posture

Julie on 3/22/02 at 10:01 (077195)

I would say that the criterion for a good tape is strength: the capacity to hold its tension through a day's activities. Leuko tape has this, and as it is the only tape I know, I can't recommend any others.

No, I don't know about other forms of taping. How did you use it on your shoulders, and what did it do for you?

jon p on 3/22/02 at 10:57 (077205)

My physio used it to create good posture by using the tape in an x accross my shoulder and back to persuade my body to be in the correct position thereby allowing muscles to learn how I should be standing.

Short term measure but very efective when my body gets out of alignement

john h on 3/22/02 at 11:00 (077206)

Julie always forgets to tell you that if you are fashion concious the Leuko Tape comes in flesh tone. I order mine from a wholesale house who sell it to me because no one in our area sell it otherwise I would have to be a dealer. I will post their website again but it is at home and not with me here at work. They have a great catalog of all sorts of orthopedic supplies including night splints and rehabilative equipment. I also like the two strip method of taping that Julie first suggested to me because it is fast and does not require much tape.

Julie on 3/22/02 at 11:11 (077211)

I guess I forget because I've never seen it, John. I think it must be a Yankee variation. I'm not especially fashion conscious, but your enthusiasm for flesh-coloured Leuko tape almost makes me wish I had PF again....no, not really.

jon p on 3/22/02 at 11:35 (077217)

In England you get flech coloured Leuco tape in chemists and there is a hospital grade which is white there is also leucoplast what is that. It is late afternoon here is this site based in us

jon p on 4/16/02 at 13:25 (079843)

Is there an optimal tape width ie will several say 4 narrow strips do the same as 4 wider strips