Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

which problem?

Posted by DW on 3/20/02 at 19:48 (077039)

I had pf release/heel spur removal/nerve release in December. All in all, my foot feels much better than it did pre-surgery. I'm definitely walking better and without pain for longer periods of time. However, the pain I AM having may not be tied to the surgery at all. I have a fairly large bunion on my big toe that will one day need to be addressed....but I'm putting that off. It doesn't particularly hurt at the joint, but radiates out across the top of my foot to the lateral edge. Some shoes are becoming a little tight across that point of my foot and feels as though they are 'squeezing' across my foot. It's not the same as the pain pre-surgery, so I'm wondering if this is tied to the bunion instead? And is there any rule of thumb for bunion-surgery? (I had bone removed from the other foot about 20 years ago due to the same problem.)
Thanks for any info.
DW

Re: which problem?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/21/02 at 19:12 (077149)

Some of the decision making factors in considering bunion surgery include:
size of the bunion -- adaptability of shoegear to the deformity, pain or degenerative joint disease in the bunion joint, lateral deviation of the big toe (movement of the big toe toward the second toe), changes in gait caused by the bunion.
Ed

Re: which problem?

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/21/02 at 19:12 (077149)

Some of the decision making factors in considering bunion surgery include:
size of the bunion -- adaptability of shoegear to the deformity, pain or degenerative joint disease in the bunion joint, lateral deviation of the big toe (movement of the big toe toward the second toe), changes in gait caused by the bunion.
Ed