Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Well it's official _ I'm falling apart!

Posted by CatherineL on 3/21/02 at 08:45 (077085)

Hi all,
I'm venting...

in January, my rheumetolgists idea of a miracle cure for my PF , was to take doxycyline 200mg/day for the rest of my life. It's supposed to be newest idea in arthritis treatment (which he THINKS may be the underlying cause of the chronic PF)... tetracycline medications to combat bacteria that causes arthritis!

He told me almost nothing, but I've read-up on the web and found some info that says it works, but you'll feel worse for the first 4-6 wks, and then improve... well, a few weeks ago, my PF improved dramatically - which was 5-6 weeks into taking it, but I wasn't sure if it was this med or the daily flexril my dr. has prescribed that was helping, or maybe both.

but... I've had a sore throat and raspy voice for over a month (had the flu in there somewhere)and was trying diff things to help it along, but went to the dr. last night - who by the way says my twisted ankle is a mild sprain, which should be fine in a few weeks and should not cause me further problems, yahhhh! - but now I have Thrush! Another problem, another med... and of course, no more doxycyline, so now in the next few days, I'll find out if the doxycline was helping my PF!

and my birthday is coming up, and its been a crazy week. About this time last year I was in the ER with a kidney stone atack. ;[ had another one a few weeks ago, and thought I may have the same dumb luck this year.

Just needed to vent and whine! and it's -20C here, but with the 'windchill' its equal to -32C. and for those who aren't familiar with 'windchill', it is a factor in cold climates that they calculate in the wind to determine how cold it really feels! But of course, anything below -20 is just D*mn cold!!! Oh wonderful days!

thanx for listening and reading my rant on and on and on!!!
Catherine

Re: Well it's official _ I'm falling apart!

Kathy G on 3/21/02 at 09:06 (077088)

Oh, poor Catherine. You're really having a rough time, aren't you? I'm so sorry! Thrush is no fun but it does respond to medication, in time. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects of being on a long-term antibiotic. How annoying that you won't be able to tell if it really helped your PF or not. Are you still taking the Flexeril? That's a muscle relaxant. Does he think it will help PF? Or maybe just help any other muscle aches you have?

It's too bad it's so cold where you are. Here in NH, we had almost 8' of heavy, wet snow yesterday. This morning, and last night, it was so pretty. The snow was sticking to everything and it was lovely. Today, it's going to go up to 50 and the sky is so blue! Of course, tomorrow and the next three days are supposed to be in the thirties, with windchill factors to make it feel like the teens. Compared to your temperatures, I don't think we have much to complain about. Although I'm not very good at converting Centigrade to Farenheit. I know the formulas but never can remember which is which!

We need water so badly that no one is complaining much about this snow because it may help our summer drought which some are forecasting will be the worst in history. We've had the mildest winter and almost no snow or rain.

I hope you feel better and remember, when it comes to birthdays, given the alternative, it's much better to celebrate a birthday!!

Take care!

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 09:07 (077089)

Wow...you have been taking lots of meds!!!
I am sure you know to stay out of the sun on Tetra? Do you drink enough water to keep kidney stones from recurring?
I hope things get better for you pronto!!!!!!
:-)

Carmen

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 10:02 (077099)

Kathy where about do you live in NH?

CatherineL on 3/21/02 at 10:03 (077100)

thanx

Kathy, the flexril is for C6/7 disk degeneration that is causing daily headaches that turn into migraines! Been trying to deal with that for a couple of years... so, another fun thing I'm going through. Your day sounds like a perfect day to me... Sun, mild, and crisp white snow cover. We've had little precipitation this year as well, so need some, but preferably it will get warmer and rain instead of snow!

Carmen, thanx, but staying out of the sun so far hasn't been a problem. At -30C, its toooo cold to venture out! But I love the sun and would miss lying out in it during the summer!

So, recap... Kidney stones (3 attacks in 12 mths), Severe Chronic Migraines (24yrs), Moderate Disk degeneration, possible arthritis and fibro, chronic PF (2yrs), Thrush, Sprained ankle. Wonder if I've missed anything?

I guess its no wonder I feel like I'm falling apart!

Catherine

Laurie R on 3/21/02 at 11:00 (077103)

Hi Catherine , You sure have been through a lot in the past year.. I wish I had something to say to make you feel better. All I can say is ,we are here for you , we will listen and offer you our support . I will say a prayer for you . Just think you can only get better from here.
My very best to you , Laurie R

Sharon W on 3/21/02 at 12:51 (077110)

Catherine,

Sure sounds like a heavy load of troubles you're carrying. Migraines, kidney stones, Pf, back problems, thrush -- any one of those would be enough to put a lot of people at the end of their rope! You must be a real SURVIVOR...

Are you taking Nystantin Swish & Swallow for your thrush, by any chance? (Most people say that one tastes really NASTY!!!)

An interesting theory your rheumatologist had, though. I wonder if anyone else has tried that therapy for PF, and if so, what results they had? Did your rheumatologist mention anything about results he's had with other patients taking doxycycline?

-- Sharon

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 13:00 (077112)

You say 'possible Fibro' and arthritis? Have the doctors not determined this as a positive diagosis? How severe is your disk degenration? Just curious about the severity that they would put you on Flexeril for that condition. Flexeril is a muscle relaxer correct? Why would they give a muscles relaxer for degeneration I wonder.....Something to ponder anyway. Do you do strengthening exercises for your back? Have you had a urologist look at the reasoning for recurrent stones? WATER is key and should prevent them unless you have an imbalance or problem of some sort that causes your urine to change acidity no matter what you do.
I feel for you....and hope you get btter very soon from all of this!

CatherineL on 3/21/02 at 13:02 (077113)

Sharon,

My rheumetologist is one of the big-and-mightys around here - much to busy and importatnt to converse with the lowly patient- , so he didn't explain ANYTHING... I had to ask, like pulling teeth, and luckly had an appt with my dr. that afternoon so asked my dr. and also looked it all up on the web.

Yes, like most of us here, I am a survivor-type person... but starting to feel it now.

My hubby bought tickets for the annual comedy festival for tomorrow eve., so, although I'm not feeling like looking forward to it, it may be a good distraction. Also, my wonderful co-workers will probably not let me forget my birthday, it'll be a hoot! Maybe it'll all pull me out of this

I'm trying to get a-hold of my dr. to see if I should just switch to monocycline?

Thanx for all the support...
Catherine

Sharon W on 3/21/02 at 13:17 (077115)

Catherine,

Oh. I'm sure most of us have, at one time or another, come across a Dr. like that. Some of them really ARE so good at what they do that it's worth tolerating that type of attitude, but they can be very irritating... After all, YOU were paying HIM, NOT the other way around!

I know that, when a Dr. prescribes something for me, I want to know WHY she's prescribing it and what it's supposed to do for me and how long till it takes effect and what to watch for as far as side effects are concerned. You were smart to ask your regular Dr., and to look it up.

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 3/21/02 at 19:51 (077154)

I'm sorry, Catherine, about all the problems you have been experiencing. It seems that the old saying 'When it rains, it pours' is really true.

Know that you can come here and many people will understand and care! That DOES help! :-)

Speaking of raining and pouring...We have high water, over the road in different places around here. I live very near a river, and it certainly is out of its banks. It is also very cold - brrrr...

'If winter comes, can spring be far behind?!'

Suzanne :-)

Rich on 3/22/02 at 07:47 (077168)

Catherine, my mother suffers from both arthritis and fibro. I have done so much research for her, I feel like I understand how you feel. She is in a support group which helps a bit, though she feels like most are way worse off than she is.

I agree with Carmen...drink lots of water! Also, eating yogurt is always a good idea when you are on antibiotics, I usually keep acidophilus handy to ward off any type of yeast infections (like thrush, etc.)

I took flexeril for lower back pain awhile back. Some basic exercises really helped to stretch the muscles...try doing gentle leg lifts while in bed. With both legs straight out, bring one knee into your chest as much as possible and hold, then the other leg, end with bringing both knees in at the same time. I did about five reps of each move. Really helped and now when I feel the same pain returning, I don't even use the flexeril, I just do those stretches till it improves. And of course...Advil.

Watched an old horror movie the other night...I wouldn't worry about falling apart till body parts start falling off! Just an attempt at humor! LOL

Seriously, it sounds like you have every right to need to vent. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you start feeling better right away! Take care...
Rich

Re: Happy Birthday to You!

Rich on 3/22/02 at 07:50 (077169)

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday dear Catherine,
Happy Birthday to You!

Boy I sure sound better singing here than in person...got a bucket anyone? That's usually the best way for me to carry a tune.

Let me know if the comedy thing doesn't make you laugh and I will send you some Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes!!

Re: Boudreaux and Thibodeaux Jokes

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 08:03 (077171)

Eeek! Rich, for two years or so up until last Christmas, I dated a Blanchard who lives down south of New Iberia. Every time I thought I'd heard them all, he'd come up with another Boudreau and Thibodeaux joke!! He used to even send me the e-mails that go around with those jokes. But I don't think these non-Louisiana people know what they're getting into. Y'all, these will crack you up and there's an infinite number of them so watch out! There are more of these jokes than 'Once there was an Irishman..' LOL

Carole C

Re: THANX TO EVERYONE!!! REALLY!

CatherineL on 3/22/02 at 08:33 (077177)

Wow, what an overwhelming response, you guys have me all teary-eyed!

Carmen,
The Rheumetologist, said, it 'appears' I may have early signs of arthritis... My dr. says I have many of the 'signs' of fibro...

Neither seem to want to say for sure! But 'I'M' sure I have fibro, and I'm not sure about the arthritis... but I've been off the doxycycline for about 3 days now... and I'm aching terrible - my neck, back, legs, FEET!!! (which is all in keeping with the idea of the doxycyline and how it works) so it may be so!

The disk degeneration I've had for about a dozen years... back then it was classified as mild, so no biggy... but now its moderate.
The Idea of the flexril, is cuz of the chronic migraines, which most were triggered by tension in my neck... it loosens the muscles and has reduced my migraines from daily, down to 3/week, which still sound like a lot, but to me is heaven!

And, I'm sure anyone could guess by all the kidneystone trouble... I'm not a water drinker, but have been trying very hard to and I've been having trouble with this lately, cuz of the thrush, I have a metel taste in my mouth, ick, but it is getting better. I was eating yogurt, and when I wasn't I have a bottle of acidophylus capsules in the fridge that I'd take a few times/day... it helped in 'other' areas, but nothing seems to help with the thrush!

and... Rich, thanx for the birthday song! and it sounds great from here. Made me smile :)
thanx all
Catherine

Re: migraine help...

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 09:07 (077186)

Catherine, I also suffer from migraines, but not as often as you. I am sorry, as I know how they feel!

This may sound too simple to be of much help, but just in case you haven't tried this, I thought it was worth mentioning. You wrote that your migraines were triggered by tension in your neck. Have you used one of the 'bed buddies' or other brands with different names? They are cloth and filled with rice. You heat them in the microwave and then lay them around your neck. It feels SO good and really relieves those tense muscles. You can find them at drugstores or Wal-Mart type stores.

I have medicine which I take at the onset of a migraine, but I keep one of these microwave heat packs at school and home and have found that if I use it before the headache gets very strong, I can sometimes get over it without any medicine. It couldn't hurt to try, and they are not expensive.

Keep smiling! :-)
Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:14 (077197)

Suzanne, those sound really appealing even to some of us that don't get migraines! I never heard of them before.

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 10:22 (077198)

Hi, Carole! Check out the section in drugstores where the heating pads and such are sold. Mine is called 'The Original Bed Buddy Microwave Heat-Pack'. I got another brand at a Big Lots store for a spare. My mother-in-law made one for herself on the sewing machine and filled it with rice.

They ARE helpful; I've even laid mine across my knees when they were aching. The bag says it is 'moist heat for aches and pains from your microwave in 2 minutes'. My chiropractor always recommends moist heat, and he is the one who told me about them.

I have let a couple of people borrow mine at school when they had headaches, and both of them went out and bought one for themselves.

Hope you are having a good feet day! :-)
Suzanne

Re: good feet day

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:30 (077201)

Suzanne, I am having a GREAT good feet day! It's my day off, and the weather is lovely, too. Hope you are feeling well today and that your kids are inspiring you even though it's the end of the week. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 11:03 (077207)

Thanks! We're having a good day here. I have read CHARLOTTE'S WEB to them throughout the week. This morning, my daughter who is home from college, came over to help me, and together we gave Accelerated Reader tests to each student on this 5 point book. They all did well! Then at 9:00 'Jump Rope for Heart' began in the gym; this is always a favorite day for the children. Right now they are watching the video of CHARLOTTE'S WEB as a special treat. It is neat to see how much they remember from hearing the book read. The rat just appeared, and several said, 'Here comes Templeton!'

Glad you're having a good day!

Re: Charlotte's Web

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 11:10 (077210)

That's a wonderful book! I loved it so much when I was a youngster and I remember it well. I read it in school, but in about fourth grade, I think. My daughter liked it a lot, too. I've never seen the movie but I'll bet your class is having fun today.

Carole C

Re: Homemade Bed Buddy

Rich on 3/22/02 at 15:05 (077236)

You can even use a tube sock, just fill with rice and tie in a knot. Microwave to heat, the warmth lasts a long time.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 16:14 (077243)

Now pouring some uncooked rice into an old unmatched sock and tying it in a knot, I can get into! I don't sew much any more but I can tie a knot. This is definitely worth a try, even for the 'domestically impaired' such as myself. I don't have a heating pad, so I could use this for a lot of things. Feet, knees, neck, back.....

Carole C

Re: make one yourself

SuzanneK on 3/22/02 at 18:52 (077254)

You can make them quite easily by filling a tube sock with rice. Tie off the end with a rubber band. My 3rd graders make these for Mother's Day. They are a very popular gift!

Re: Good idea, SuzanneK. and Rich! (eom)

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 18:54 (077255)

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 19:02 (077257)

Yes, my class and I had fun today! And you are right: CHARLOTTE'S WEB is written at about a 4th grade reading level. I like to read it to my class in the spring to 'stretch' their comprehension skills by having them listen to a chapter book over a week's time. And the use of language is lovely in the book, so I think it is good for them to hear it read. It seems that many children are not read to these days at home, so it is even more important for them to have this at school.

Sometime when you want to just rest your feet and relax, you might enjoy renting that movie, Carole! It is animated, but has some neat music and really is true to the book.

I know I have probably just been in first grade too long, but I enjoy it ever time I see it!

wendyn on 3/22/02 at 20:15 (077259)

Be careful - if you over heat they can apparently start on fire.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 20:54 (077263)

OK, I will start with just a few seconds. Thanks for the warning.

Carole C

Laurie R on 3/22/02 at 23:35 (077265)

You are so right Wendy . I left my in for to long , it did not catch on fire but I burt it ... I had to throw it away .. Be very careful ...

wendyn on 3/23/02 at 00:35 (077269)

Seriously, I was at work and in a hurry when I fired off that post.

I have seen warnings on these things...I believe that you can only heat them for a certain amount of time, and then only so many times per day.

Maybe cruise the net for a bit and see if you can find some guidelines.

It's a great idea, but I'd hate for someone to hurt themselves!

Re: Heed the warning concerning the Homemade Bed Buddy...

Suzanne D on 3/23/02 at 07:44 (077276)

Thanks, Wendy! I have used the ones I purchased for 3 years with no problems. But I always followed the manufacturers instructions.

My mother-in-law showed me hers last Thanksgiving which she made, so I thought I would just pass that along.

BUT, I would feel TERRIBLE if anyone got hurt, so I recommend the purchased ones with the time specified for those materials.

I never thought of the possibility of a fire or burning. Yikes! Thanks again for pointing that out.

Take heed, everyone! And I suppose one could get hurt with the purchased ones if the time specified in the microwave was not followed. As in many things, more (in this case, time in the microwave) is not necessarily better!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/23/02 at 08:44 (077281)

Maybe I will just stick to a purchased one like Suzanne recommended! Thanks for looking out for me, everyone.. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/21/02 at 09:06 (077088)

Oh, poor Catherine. You're really having a rough time, aren't you? I'm so sorry! Thrush is no fun but it does respond to medication, in time. It's one of the unfortunate side-effects of being on a long-term antibiotic. How annoying that you won't be able to tell if it really helped your PF or not. Are you still taking the Flexeril? That's a muscle relaxant. Does he think it will help PF? Or maybe just help any other muscle aches you have?

It's too bad it's so cold where you are. Here in NH, we had almost 8' of heavy, wet snow yesterday. This morning, and last night, it was so pretty. The snow was sticking to everything and it was lovely. Today, it's going to go up to 50 and the sky is so blue! Of course, tomorrow and the next three days are supposed to be in the thirties, with windchill factors to make it feel like the teens. Compared to your temperatures, I don't think we have much to complain about. Although I'm not very good at converting Centigrade to Farenheit. I know the formulas but never can remember which is which!

We need water so badly that no one is complaining much about this snow because it may help our summer drought which some are forecasting will be the worst in history. We've had the mildest winter and almost no snow or rain.

I hope you feel better and remember, when it comes to birthdays, given the alternative, it's much better to celebrate a birthday!!

Take care!

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 09:07 (077089)

Wow...you have been taking lots of meds!!!
I am sure you know to stay out of the sun on Tetra? Do you drink enough water to keep kidney stones from recurring?
I hope things get better for you pronto!!!!!!
:-)

Carmen

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 10:02 (077099)

Kathy where about do you live in NH?

CatherineL on 3/21/02 at 10:03 (077100)

thanx

Kathy, the flexril is for C6/7 disk degeneration that is causing daily headaches that turn into migraines! Been trying to deal with that for a couple of years... so, another fun thing I'm going through. Your day sounds like a perfect day to me... Sun, mild, and crisp white snow cover. We've had little precipitation this year as well, so need some, but preferably it will get warmer and rain instead of snow!

Carmen, thanx, but staying out of the sun so far hasn't been a problem. At -30C, its toooo cold to venture out! But I love the sun and would miss lying out in it during the summer!

So, recap... Kidney stones (3 attacks in 12 mths), Severe Chronic Migraines (24yrs), Moderate Disk degeneration, possible arthritis and fibro, chronic PF (2yrs), Thrush, Sprained ankle. Wonder if I've missed anything?

I guess its no wonder I feel like I'm falling apart!

Catherine

Laurie R on 3/21/02 at 11:00 (077103)

Hi Catherine , You sure have been through a lot in the past year.. I wish I had something to say to make you feel better. All I can say is ,we are here for you , we will listen and offer you our support . I will say a prayer for you . Just think you can only get better from here.
My very best to you , Laurie R

Sharon W on 3/21/02 at 12:51 (077110)

Catherine,

Sure sounds like a heavy load of troubles you're carrying. Migraines, kidney stones, Pf, back problems, thrush -- any one of those would be enough to put a lot of people at the end of their rope! You must be a real SURVIVOR...

Are you taking Nystantin Swish & Swallow for your thrush, by any chance? (Most people say that one tastes really NASTY!!!)

An interesting theory your rheumatologist had, though. I wonder if anyone else has tried that therapy for PF, and if so, what results they had? Did your rheumatologist mention anything about results he's had with other patients taking doxycycline?

-- Sharon

Carmen H on 3/21/02 at 13:00 (077112)

You say 'possible Fibro' and arthritis? Have the doctors not determined this as a positive diagosis? How severe is your disk degenration? Just curious about the severity that they would put you on Flexeril for that condition. Flexeril is a muscle relaxer correct? Why would they give a muscles relaxer for degeneration I wonder.....Something to ponder anyway. Do you do strengthening exercises for your back? Have you had a urologist look at the reasoning for recurrent stones? WATER is key and should prevent them unless you have an imbalance or problem of some sort that causes your urine to change acidity no matter what you do.
I feel for you....and hope you get btter very soon from all of this!

CatherineL on 3/21/02 at 13:02 (077113)

Sharon,

My rheumetologist is one of the big-and-mightys around here - much to busy and importatnt to converse with the lowly patient- , so he didn't explain ANYTHING... I had to ask, like pulling teeth, and luckly had an appt with my dr. that afternoon so asked my dr. and also looked it all up on the web.

Yes, like most of us here, I am a survivor-type person... but starting to feel it now.

My hubby bought tickets for the annual comedy festival for tomorrow eve., so, although I'm not feeling like looking forward to it, it may be a good distraction. Also, my wonderful co-workers will probably not let me forget my birthday, it'll be a hoot! Maybe it'll all pull me out of this

I'm trying to get a-hold of my dr. to see if I should just switch to monocycline?

Thanx for all the support...
Catherine

Sharon W on 3/21/02 at 13:17 (077115)

Catherine,

Oh. I'm sure most of us have, at one time or another, come across a Dr. like that. Some of them really ARE so good at what they do that it's worth tolerating that type of attitude, but they can be very irritating... After all, YOU were paying HIM, NOT the other way around!

I know that, when a Dr. prescribes something for me, I want to know WHY she's prescribing it and what it's supposed to do for me and how long till it takes effect and what to watch for as far as side effects are concerned. You were smart to ask your regular Dr., and to look it up.

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 3/21/02 at 19:51 (077154)

I'm sorry, Catherine, about all the problems you have been experiencing. It seems that the old saying 'When it rains, it pours' is really true.

Know that you can come here and many people will understand and care! That DOES help! :-)

Speaking of raining and pouring...We have high water, over the road in different places around here. I live very near a river, and it certainly is out of its banks. It is also very cold - brrrr...

'If winter comes, can spring be far behind?!'

Rich on 3/22/02 at 07:47 (077168)

Catherine, my mother suffers from both arthritis and fibro. I have done so much research for her, I feel like I understand how you feel. She is in a support group which helps a bit, though she feels like most are way worse off than she is.

I agree with Carmen...drink lots of water! Also, eating yogurt is always a good idea when you are on antibiotics, I usually keep acidophilus handy to ward off any type of yeast infections (like thrush, etc.)

I took flexeril for lower back pain awhile back. Some basic exercises really helped to stretch the muscles...try doing gentle leg lifts while in bed. With both legs straight out, bring one knee into your chest as much as possible and hold, then the other leg, end with bringing both knees in at the same time. I did about five reps of each move. Really helped and now when I feel the same pain returning, I don't even use the flexeril, I just do those stretches till it improves. And of course...Advil.

Watched an old horror movie the other night...I wouldn't worry about falling apart till body parts start falling off! Just an attempt at humor! LOL

Seriously, it sounds like you have every right to need to vent. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you start feeling better right away! Take care...
Rich

Re: Happy Birthday to You!

Rich on 3/22/02 at 07:50 (077169)

Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday to You!
Happy Birthday dear Catherine,
Happy Birthday to You!

Boy I sure sound better singing here than in person...got a bucket anyone? That's usually the best way for me to carry a tune.

Let me know if the comedy thing doesn't make you laugh and I will send you some Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes!!

Re: Boudreaux and Thibodeaux Jokes

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 08:03 (077171)

Eeek! Rich, for two years or so up until last Christmas, I dated a Blanchard who lives down south of New Iberia. Every time I thought I'd heard them all, he'd come up with another Boudreau and Thibodeaux joke!! He used to even send me the e-mails that go around with those jokes. But I don't think these non-Louisiana people know what they're getting into. Y'all, these will crack you up and there's an infinite number of them so watch out! There are more of these jokes than 'Once there was an Irishman..' LOL

Carole C

Re: THANX TO EVERYONE!!! REALLY!

CatherineL on 3/22/02 at 08:33 (077177)

Wow, what an overwhelming response, you guys have me all teary-eyed!

Carmen,
The Rheumetologist, said, it 'appears' I may have early signs of arthritis... My dr. says I have many of the 'signs' of fibro...

Neither seem to want to say for sure! But 'I'M' sure I have fibro, and I'm not sure about the arthritis... but I've been off the doxycycline for about 3 days now... and I'm aching terrible - my neck, back, legs, FEET!!! (which is all in keeping with the idea of the doxycyline and how it works) so it may be so!

The disk degeneration I've had for about a dozen years... back then it was classified as mild, so no biggy... but now its moderate.
The Idea of the flexril, is cuz of the chronic migraines, which most were triggered by tension in my neck... it loosens the muscles and has reduced my migraines from daily, down to 3/week, which still sound like a lot, but to me is heaven!

And, I'm sure anyone could guess by all the kidneystone trouble... I'm not a water drinker, but have been trying very hard to and I've been having trouble with this lately, cuz of the thrush, I have a metel taste in my mouth, ick, but it is getting better. I was eating yogurt, and when I wasn't I have a bottle of acidophylus capsules in the fridge that I'd take a few times/day... it helped in 'other' areas, but nothing seems to help with the thrush!

and... Rich, thanx for the birthday song! and it sounds great from here. Made me smile :)
thanx all
Catherine

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 09:07 (077186)

Catherine, I also suffer from migraines, but not as often as you. I am sorry, as I know how they feel!

This may sound too simple to be of much help, but just in case you haven't tried this, I thought it was worth mentioning. You wrote that your migraines were triggered by tension in your neck. Have you used one of the 'bed buddies' or other brands with different names? They are cloth and filled with rice. You heat them in the microwave and then lay them around your neck. It feels SO good and really relieves those tense muscles. You can find them at drugstores or Wal-Mart type stores.

I have medicine which I take at the onset of a migraine, but I keep one of these microwave heat packs at school and home and have found that if I use it before the headache gets very strong, I can sometimes get over it without any medicine. It couldn't hurt to try, and they are not expensive.

Keep smiling! :-)
Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:14 (077197)

Suzanne, those sound really appealing even to some of us that don't get migraines! I never heard of them before.

Carole C

Re: Carole...

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 10:22 (077198)

Hi, Carole! Check out the section in drugstores where the heating pads and such are sold. Mine is called 'The Original Bed Buddy Microwave Heat-Pack'. I got another brand at a Big Lots store for a spare. My mother-in-law made one for herself on the sewing machine and filled it with rice.

They ARE helpful; I've even laid mine across my knees when they were aching. The bag says it is 'moist heat for aches and pains from your microwave in 2 minutes'. My chiropractor always recommends moist heat, and he is the one who told me about them.

I have let a couple of people borrow mine at school when they had headaches, and both of them went out and bought one for themselves.

Hope you are having a good feet day! :-)
Suzanne

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 10:30 (077201)

Suzanne, I am having a GREAT good feet day! It's my day off, and the weather is lovely, too. Hope you are feeling well today and that your kids are inspiring you even though it's the end of the week. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 11:03 (077207)

Thanks! We're having a good day here. I have read CHARLOTTE'S WEB to them throughout the week. This morning, my daughter who is home from college, came over to help me, and together we gave Accelerated Reader tests to each student on this 5 point book. They all did well! Then at 9:00 'Jump Rope for Heart' began in the gym; this is always a favorite day for the children. Right now they are watching the video of CHARLOTTE'S WEB as a special treat. It is neat to see how much they remember from hearing the book read. The rat just appeared, and several said, 'Here comes Templeton!'

Glad you're having a good day!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 11:10 (077210)

That's a wonderful book! I loved it so much when I was a youngster and I remember it well. I read it in school, but in about fourth grade, I think. My daughter liked it a lot, too. I've never seen the movie but I'll bet your class is having fun today.

Carole C

Rich on 3/22/02 at 15:05 (077236)

You can even use a tube sock, just fill with rice and tie in a knot. Microwave to heat, the warmth lasts a long time.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 16:14 (077243)

Now pouring some uncooked rice into an old unmatched sock and tying it in a knot, I can get into! I don't sew much any more but I can tie a knot. This is definitely worth a try, even for the 'domestically impaired' such as myself. I don't have a heating pad, so I could use this for a lot of things. Feet, knees, neck, back.....

Carole C

Re: make one yourself

SuzanneK on 3/22/02 at 18:52 (077254)

You can make them quite easily by filling a tube sock with rice. Tie off the end with a rubber band. My 3rd graders make these for Mother's Day. They are a very popular gift!

Re: Good idea, SuzanneK. and Rich! (eom)

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 18:54 (077255)

Suzanne D on 3/22/02 at 19:02 (077257)

Yes, my class and I had fun today! And you are right: CHARLOTTE'S WEB is written at about a 4th grade reading level. I like to read it to my class in the spring to 'stretch' their comprehension skills by having them listen to a chapter book over a week's time. And the use of language is lovely in the book, so I think it is good for them to hear it read. It seems that many children are not read to these days at home, so it is even more important for them to have this at school.

Sometime when you want to just rest your feet and relax, you might enjoy renting that movie, Carole! It is animated, but has some neat music and really is true to the book.

I know I have probably just been in first grade too long, but I enjoy it ever time I see it!

wendyn on 3/22/02 at 20:15 (077259)

Be careful - if you over heat they can apparently start on fire.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 20:54 (077263)

OK, I will start with just a few seconds. Thanks for the warning.

Carole C

Laurie R on 3/22/02 at 23:35 (077265)

You are so right Wendy . I left my in for to long , it did not catch on fire but I burt it ... I had to throw it away .. Be very careful ...

wendyn on 3/23/02 at 00:35 (077269)

Seriously, I was at work and in a hurry when I fired off that post.

I have seen warnings on these things...I believe that you can only heat them for a certain amount of time, and then only so many times per day.

Maybe cruise the net for a bit and see if you can find some guidelines.

It's a great idea, but I'd hate for someone to hurt themselves!

Re: Heed the warning concerning the Homemade Bed Buddy...

Suzanne D on 3/23/02 at 07:44 (077276)

Thanks, Wendy! I have used the ones I purchased for 3 years with no problems. But I always followed the manufacturers instructions.

My mother-in-law showed me hers last Thanksgiving which she made, so I thought I would just pass that along.

BUT, I would feel TERRIBLE if anyone got hurt, so I recommend the purchased ones with the time specified for those materials.

I never thought of the possibility of a fire or burning. Yikes! Thanks again for pointing that out.

Take heed, everyone! And I suppose one could get hurt with the purchased ones if the time specified in the microwave was not followed. As in many things, more (in this case, time in the microwave) is not necessarily better!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/23/02 at 08:44 (077281)

Maybe I will just stick to a purchased one like Suzanne recommended! Thanks for looking out for me, everyone.. :)

Carole C