Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT followup

Posted by AnnabelM on 3/21/02 at 21:21 (077157)

My second ESWT treatment was with Dr. Z in Jan 01. My heel stayed pretty sore for a long time, but now that it has been over a year, I walk a mile 3x a week, have none of the walking on broken glass pain.. Most days, I forget about my foot!!! !What a relief!!!Hallelujah!! I stopped the exercises as they caused tendonitis. I put my numerous orthotics in a bag. I use a small soft heel pad, and NB , Asic Gels, Hytec low cut walking shoes, and Birkenstocks. Changing shoes, 3-4 times a day. Thank you Dr. Z.

Re: Recovering, and TLC for tendons

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 07:12 (077163)

Annabel, I am so happy for you! It sounds like you are nearly recovered. I'm one of the lucky ones who is getting better without ESWT, though for a while I wasn't sure that I would. I still change my shoes a lot like that too, and only wear the shoes that work best for me, like you (SAS and a variety of Birkenstocks and Birkenstock Tatamis for me; I don't seem to wear my NB very often for some reason). I still don't go barefoot much, and never in the shower. In general, it is wonderful to be able to live a relatively normal life again, without my feet usually dictating what I can do and when.

My tendons have been a big part of my problem from the start. Now, they do best if I wear my Birkenstocks a few hours a day but wear something else without the 'lowered heel' that Birkenstocks have, most of the time. I sort of play it by ear; my tendons usually tell me when to change shoes. I still do some very gentle gentle stretching. For me, that's sitting with my leg stretched out in front of me on a bed, and gently pointing my toes towards my nose and holding for 30 seconds; followed by gentle ankle rotations to loosen up my calves and feet. Sometimes I pull gently on my toes with my hand, after doing the point-and-hold a couple of times for warm up. It's hard to remember to stretch when I'm not hurting, but if I don't then my tendons bother me later on.

Carole C

Re: Recovering, and TLC for tendons

Carole C in NOLA on 3/22/02 at 07:12 (077163)

Annabel, I am so happy for you! It sounds like you are nearly recovered. I'm one of the lucky ones who is getting better without ESWT, though for a while I wasn't sure that I would. I still change my shoes a lot like that too, and only wear the shoes that work best for me, like you (SAS and a variety of Birkenstocks and Birkenstock Tatamis for me; I don't seem to wear my NB very often for some reason). I still don't go barefoot much, and never in the shower. In general, it is wonderful to be able to live a relatively normal life again, without my feet usually dictating what I can do and when.

My tendons have been a big part of my problem from the start. Now, they do best if I wear my Birkenstocks a few hours a day but wear something else without the 'lowered heel' that Birkenstocks have, most of the time. I sort of play it by ear; my tendons usually tell me when to change shoes. I still do some very gentle gentle stretching. For me, that's sitting with my leg stretched out in front of me on a bed, and gently pointing my toes towards my nose and holding for 30 seconds; followed by gentle ankle rotations to loosen up my calves and feet. Sometimes I pull gently on my toes with my hand, after doing the point-and-hold a couple of times for warm up. It's hard to remember to stretch when I'm not hurting, but if I don't then my tendons bother me later on.

Carole C