Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

gym shoes

Posted by christy b on 3/22/02 at 18:34 (077253)

I live on a cruise ship so my cradio training is limited to elliptical, stationary bikes and treadmill machines (walking in Caribbean traffic is life threatening!). I was diagnosed with heel spurs last year in my right foot and was wondering what kind of shoes I should be buying for my cardio training and how often they should be replaced (I go to the gym daily). I have Spenco insoles as well.

Thanks for your help,
Christy

Re: gym shoes

DR Zuckerman on 3/23/02 at 02:50 (077273)

stop the trend mill this will only aggravate the heel pain. Try the power stps that are offered on this site. How bad is the pain. Early treatment is the answer for avoiding long term pain and surgery. See a doctor. What ship are you on .

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/23/02 at 16:18 (077324)

You mentioned that you were diagnosed with heel spurs last year but did not mention what your treatment program includes.

Running shoes, due to the elevated heel and rigid shank (at least on the better ones) tend to be best for walking and standing. It is possible to maintain a decent level of activity with the heel spurs provided that you are actively pursuing a curative treatment plan.
Ed

DR Zuckerman on 3/23/02 at 02:50 (077273)

stop the trend mill this will only aggravate the heel pain. Try the power stps that are offered on this site. How bad is the pain. Early treatment is the answer for avoiding long term pain and surgery. See a doctor. What ship are you on .

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/23/02 at 16:18 (077324)

You mentioned that you were diagnosed with heel spurs last year but did not mention what your treatment program includes.

Running shoes, due to the elevated heel and rigid shank (at least on the better ones) tend to be best for walking and standing. It is possible to maintain a decent level of activity with the heel spurs provided that you are actively pursuing a curative treatment plan.
Ed