Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had treatment with Dr. Z yesterday

Posted by AndrewS on 3/24/02 at 11:22 (077392)

I guess I am the last of the patients who will get Dr. Z's O machine, but as was explained to me, the difference between the machines from the patient's perspective is non existant. THe treatment for me was painful and I required a nerve block. Once that was given the procedure was quite tolerable. What hurt was the hammer like thumping directly applied to the painful area. It really does feel like a small hammer banging on your sore heel, directly pin pointed on the most painful area.

I was sore after the block wore off but was able to shop and walk around all night just fine.

Today, I am sore, but nothing to speak of. Too soon to tell if the procedure was sucessful, but I am optomistic. I can tell you the normal intense getting out of bed pain was less this morning.

Wish me luck!
Andrew

Re: Had treatment with Dr. Z yesterday

Mary Beth S on 3/24/02 at 12:22 (077398)

Hey Andrew - you wimp you!! Only kidding (smile). I too had both feet treated yesterday at Dr. Z's place. Definitely had to have blocks! Don't know how anyone can have this procedure done without local.
Flew in from Boston and got banged in NJ!!
My most chronic foot on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most painful this morning is a 3.5. My right foot on the otherhand ranks about an 8. This one I am icing because of the sharpness but my other foot I'm doing warm soaks. Only time will tell. MB

BrianG on 3/24/02 at 23:56 (077464)

Hi Mary Beth,

Just wondering what airline you used, and how much it cost? Did you fly into Philly? Did you stay over night? Good luck with your treatments. It must have been quite a day!

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 04:38 (077467)

Hi Brian. I used frequent flyer miles from Delta and flew from Boston to Philly. I took the 12:15pm flight and arrived in Philly at 1:40pm. took 'Rapid Rover' to Dr Z's office for my 2:30pm appointment. Went back the same day. Took the 6:15pm flight back home. Yes, it was a long day!

dave on 3/25/02 at 07:05 (077469)

I see doctor Z on friday this week. I am looking forward to it. We will see if i am able to take the hammer on both of my feet without a nerve block. I will probably be a big wimp. Although i will act like a tough guy

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:20 (077475)

You can still be a tough guy and get a nerve block! Though, I never said the nerve block is a piece of cake either. Just make sure Dr. Z isn't frugal with the freon to freeze your skin first! MB

dave on 3/25/02 at 08:23 (077476)

Tough guy it is!!!!! I will ask about the nerve block. Thanks for the info!!!!! How are you doing today

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:27 (077477)

I'm feeling much better today although the right foot is still pretty sore. I'm soaking my feet in warm h2o as I type! I plan on going for a bike ride today if the temps stay around 38 degrees.
Very difficult to find a substitute for running though. MB

dave on 3/25/02 at 08:28 (077478)

It would be nice to be able to run again, i agree. I havent been able to run for five years.

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:33 (077479)

I was told to wait 4 weeks postop before I could start back running. If you know where I can buy 'patience' pills let me know!
Good luck on Friday and let me know how you make out.

BrianG on 3/25/02 at 09:18 (077480)

Thanks Mary Beth,

You did well, considering airport security, driving in an unfamilia area, and having a procedure! Hope you'll be healing soon.

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 11:40 (077497)

As long as you don't have anything to check, and you have your ticket - it's a piece of cake. MB

Re: Had treatment with Dr. Z (DAY2)

AndrewS on 3/25/02 at 23:08 (077554)

Less soreness 2 days post treatment. Still sore but less painful to walk than pre procedure. Still too soon to call...but after initial morning pain and pain when first rise to walk after sitting for long, noticably less painful.
How was your day 2 Mary Beth?

Mary Beth S on 3/26/02 at 14:20 (077615)

Good to hear from you. Like you, the soreness/tenderness is beginning to subside. I'm soaking a couple times a day. Initial wakeup and long periods of sitting then going to get up is when I am the most sore. If I'm going to be on my feet longer than I'd like, I'll tape for additional support. Already spoke with someone from Dr. Z's office who said that is OK to do.
On my way to the Gym.
P.S. Now you don't have any more excuses (smile). MB

Mary Beth S on 3/24/02 at 12:22 (077398)

Hey Andrew - you wimp you!! Only kidding (smile). I too had both feet treated yesterday at Dr. Z's place. Definitely had to have blocks! Don't know how anyone can have this procedure done without local.
Flew in from Boston and got banged in NJ!!
My most chronic foot on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the most painful this morning is a 3.5. My right foot on the otherhand ranks about an 8. This one I am icing because of the sharpness but my other foot I'm doing warm soaks. Only time will tell. MB

BrianG on 3/24/02 at 23:56 (077464)

Hi Mary Beth,

Just wondering what airline you used, and how much it cost? Did you fly into Philly? Did you stay over night? Good luck with your treatments. It must have been quite a day!

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 04:38 (077467)

Hi Brian. I used frequent flyer miles from Delta and flew from Boston to Philly. I took the 12:15pm flight and arrived in Philly at 1:40pm. took 'Rapid Rover' to Dr Z's office for my 2:30pm appointment. Went back the same day. Took the 6:15pm flight back home. Yes, it was a long day!

dave on 3/25/02 at 07:05 (077469)

I see doctor Z on friday this week. I am looking forward to it. We will see if i am able to take the hammer on both of my feet without a nerve block. I will probably be a big wimp. Although i will act like a tough guy

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:20 (077475)

You can still be a tough guy and get a nerve block! Though, I never said the nerve block is a piece of cake either. Just make sure Dr. Z isn't frugal with the freon to freeze your skin first! MB

dave on 3/25/02 at 08:23 (077476)

Tough guy it is!!!!! I will ask about the nerve block. Thanks for the info!!!!! How are you doing today

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:27 (077477)

I'm feeling much better today although the right foot is still pretty sore. I'm soaking my feet in warm h2o as I type! I plan on going for a bike ride today if the temps stay around 38 degrees.
Very difficult to find a substitute for running though. MB

dave on 3/25/02 at 08:28 (077478)

It would be nice to be able to run again, i agree. I havent been able to run for five years.

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 08:33 (077479)

I was told to wait 4 weeks postop before I could start back running. If you know where I can buy 'patience' pills let me know!
Good luck on Friday and let me know how you make out.

BrianG on 3/25/02 at 09:18 (077480)

Thanks Mary Beth,

You did well, considering airport security, driving in an unfamilia area, and having a procedure! Hope you'll be healing soon.

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 3/25/02 at 11:40 (077497)

As long as you don't have anything to check, and you have your ticket - it's a piece of cake. MB

AndrewS on 3/25/02 at 23:08 (077554)

Less soreness 2 days post treatment. Still sore but less painful to walk than pre procedure. Still too soon to call...but after initial morning pain and pain when first rise to walk after sitting for long, noticably less painful.
How was your day 2 Mary Beth?

Mary Beth S on 3/26/02 at 14:20 (077615)

Good to hear from you. Like you, the soreness/tenderness is beginning to subside. I'm soaking a couple times a day. Initial wakeup and long periods of sitting then going to get up is when I am the most sore. If I'm going to be on my feet longer than I'd like, I'll tape for additional support. Already spoke with someone from Dr. Z's office who said that is OK to do.
On my way to the Gym.
P.S. Now you don't have any more excuses (smile). MB