Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. Ed and Dr. Z

Posted by Carmen H on 3/24/02 at 18:00 (077438)

I haven't posted too much about my feet lately b/c I wanted to see how this PT went. Well..I have a question. My therapist did a test on my feet the other day where she was sitting on the floor behind me and had her hands on my feet wrapped around my ankles. Her fingers rested on a couple of bones in the front top of my feet. she had me roll gently to the right and left a few times then STOP right in the middle and had me hold it. She measured my ankles and had me do it again. Then she had me relax in my normal stance and measured my ankles then.
Both sides, both times my ankles turned 'down' 10 degrees. This is where she wants to really investigate my biomechanics. she thinks (ME too....but other Pods have said I don't have a bio problem) that my ankles turning in could be causing the pain in my hips, knees, and keeping that tendon and fascia on both feet from getting a chance to heal. Each time I stand up and walk the ankles go downward (she said it wasn't completely a pronation issue) and my feet eventually start to burn and ache again.
What is your opinion on this? Are there orthotics (besides the crappy pair I have now) that can correct this downward slide in my ankles?
Forgive me if this question seems elementary after all the reading I have done on this...I want to approach it like I don't know a thing about PF and see if I can start from scratch.

Re: Dr. Ed and Dr. Z

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/25/02 at 15:02 (077519)

It is a bit difficult to come up with a good answer without seeing what is happening. You sure are describing what sounds like a biomechanical problem which is at variance with what you have been told.

I am unsure what is meant by the ankles 'turned down 10 degrees.' Do you mean 'inwards?'

Unfortunately, this is where the big limitation of being online leaves us... we would need very specific descriptions of what the therapist sees. Perhaps your therapist can write a brief report that we can look at.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/02 at 15:59 (077526)

I would tape your feet in a neutral or correct bimechanical position and see how you response. IF you feel better then I would re visit orthosis

Carmen H on 3/25/02 at 16:05 (077528)

Yes I mean inwards...sorry....it just looks like it's down from above.
;-)
I see the inflammation on the inside of my arch (on the side of my foot) from the pressure being put there. When I stand it's puffy. Not visibly to anyone else except the therapist or the pod...but it is.
I will get a report and you know what? I will get her to take a picture for me if I think of it.
thanks Dr. Ed. :o)

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/25/02 at 15:02 (077519)

It is a bit difficult to come up with a good answer without seeing what is happening. You sure are describing what sounds like a biomechanical problem which is at variance with what you have been told.

I am unsure what is meant by the ankles 'turned down 10 degrees.' Do you mean 'inwards?'

Unfortunately, this is where the big limitation of being online leaves us... we would need very specific descriptions of what the therapist sees. Perhaps your therapist can write a brief report that we can look at.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/25/02 at 15:59 (077526)

I would tape your feet in a neutral or correct bimechanical position and see how you response. IF you feel better then I would re visit orthosis

Carmen H on 3/25/02 at 16:05 (077528)

Yes I mean inwards...sorry....it just looks like it's down from above.
;-)
I see the inflammation on the inside of my arch (on the side of my foot) from the pressure being put there. When I stand it's puffy. Not visibly to anyone else except the therapist or the pod...but it is.
I will get a report and you know what? I will get her to take a picture for me if I think of it.
thanks Dr. Ed. :o)