Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

nerve blocks?

Posted by Susie on 3/25/02 at 08:15 (077474)

Hello everyone, Has anyone had nerveblocks? My Dr wants to start nerve blocks. I know that they will be sympathetic blocks but I not sure what will be in the injection. Is there one type that works better than others? I am very jerky about this whole thing I have had rsd now for 10 months but they say this will make it official and help with the pain.
Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Susie

Re: nerve blocks?

Laurie R on 3/25/02 at 10:00 (077487)

Hello Susie , Yes I have had 7 of them since Oct of this year . I just had one done about a week and half ago . Yes they do use these sympathetic nerve blocks as a diagnosis for RSD . I too have RSD in my right foot. I will be real honest with you . They really work in controling the RSD pain . The only thing is they don't last long . But when my RSD pain is bad it is worth the short relief.
I hope you will have the blocks done at a hospital or surgery center .

I had 6 sympathetic nerve blocks and 1 epidural block . The epidural did not help at all .

It is awesome when you wake from the blocks , my RSD pain woould be gone .

If I can help you in any way please feel free to ask me.

Where do you have RSD ? and do you have any other foot problems?

Laurie R

RonB on 3/26/02 at 07:33 (077586)

Hi Susie,

I've had two nerve blocks, one injection in each foot. The injections I received contained an anesthetic (numbing agent) and an anti-inflammatory called Aristocort. The anesthetic lasted about 8 hours (I felt great for a day) and the anti-inflammatory for about 3 days. The injections were only a minor discomfort but for me all of the pain returned after the numbness of anesthetic wore off.

Ron

Re: nerve blocks? question on the blocks

Susie on 3/27/02 at 09:52 (077718)

The block that I am having will be a injection near the spin in the sympathic nerves. (sounds like the kind laurie had).
I was told I would be awake but very dopppy. They think I have rsd in the right limb to the knee. I have some of the symtoms
but not all so this will be used has a dignostic procedure and them more blocks if I am positive for rsd. How did you feel
after the blocks? sore? They are also using die to make sure there is no blockage in the limb. I am very nerves about ths whole thing but also want it done so Iknow what is wrong....Clue me in on how you felt during and after the procedure. Many thanks..Susie

Laurie R on 3/27/02 at 10:58 (077728)

Hi Susie , Yes I think we are talking about the same type of blocks . They are sympathic nerve blocks . And yes they use these to diagnose RSD . I think they give the injections in the T2 and T4 in the spine . After the blocks when I would wake up the RSD pain would be gone . It is the best feeling in the world . My foot and leg all the way up to my hip would be warm . My foot is always like ice . So I would welcome the new warm feeling . What I feel after a SNB is a sorness in my back for a few days . Not pain , it feels like someone kicked me in my back . Now everyone is different . MY cousin also has RSD in her foot like I do and she goes to work the next day as a waitress .

I don't know about the dye , I have never have that .

I will be honest , I was scared to death before I had my first one done. My sweet friend that had them done told me everything , so I knew what to expect .

Where are you having these done ? In a hospital or surgery center? I had all 7 done at a surgery center . I have heard that some have them done in a doctor's office . Their is no way I would .

What they do is put an IV in you. This way all the meds they give you go through the IV . They alway give me a little versade to relax me before they bring me to the OR . You lay on your stomach and they put heart montitors on you and BP cup . Then they give me the good meds ... Seriously you have no clue as to what they are doing and don't care what they are doing. Then before you know it , it is all done and you are in recovery .

I have woke up two times in the middle of the injections and did not feel a thing. My Pain doc would give me more meds . You are not all the way out , but you don't know what is going on .

Make sure that your doctor is going to use florascope(SP) x-ray to see where to put the needles ..

I wish you the best , RSD is very complex and hard to understand .

If I can help you in any other way please ask .... Laurie R

Re: Susie

Tammie on 3/28/02 at 11:24 (077836)

I am thinking of you and hoping that all goes well with your blocks ! I t must be very frightening of the unknown! Take care and we will keep u in our prayers!

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 17:51 (077874)

Hi Laurie,

Is there any chance of scar tissue building up, with multiple nerve block injections? My doctor did not recommend them, as he apparently did not think they would help PF.

Thanks
BrianG

Laurie R on 3/25/02 at 10:00 (077487)

Hello Susie , Yes I have had 7 of them since Oct of this year . I just had one done about a week and half ago . Yes they do use these sympathetic nerve blocks as a diagnosis for RSD . I too have RSD in my right foot. I will be real honest with you . They really work in controling the RSD pain . The only thing is they don't last long . But when my RSD pain is bad it is worth the short relief.
I hope you will have the blocks done at a hospital or surgery center .

I had 6 sympathetic nerve blocks and 1 epidural block . The epidural did not help at all .

It is awesome when you wake from the blocks , my RSD pain woould be gone .

If I can help you in any way please feel free to ask me.

Where do you have RSD ? and do you have any other foot problems?

Laurie R

RonB on 3/26/02 at 07:33 (077586)

Hi Susie,

I've had two nerve blocks, one injection in each foot. The injections I received contained an anesthetic (numbing agent) and an anti-inflammatory called Aristocort. The anesthetic lasted about 8 hours (I felt great for a day) and the anti-inflammatory for about 3 days. The injections were only a minor discomfort but for me all of the pain returned after the numbness of anesthetic wore off.

Ron

Susie on 3/27/02 at 09:52 (077718)

The block that I am having will be a injection near the spin in the sympathic nerves. (sounds like the kind laurie had).
I was told I would be awake but very dopppy. They think I have rsd in the right limb to the knee. I have some of the symtoms
but not all so this will be used has a dignostic procedure and them more blocks if I am positive for rsd. How did you feel
after the blocks? sore? They are also using die to make sure there is no blockage in the limb. I am very nerves about ths whole thing but also want it done so Iknow what is wrong....Clue me in on how you felt during and after the procedure. Many thanks..Susie

Laurie R on 3/27/02 at 10:58 (077728)

Hi Susie , Yes I think we are talking about the same type of blocks . They are sympathic nerve blocks . And yes they use these to diagnose RSD . I think they give the injections in the T2 and T4 in the spine . After the blocks when I would wake up the RSD pain would be gone . It is the best feeling in the world . My foot and leg all the way up to my hip would be warm . My foot is always like ice . So I would welcome the new warm feeling . What I feel after a SNB is a sorness in my back for a few days . Not pain , it feels like someone kicked me in my back . Now everyone is different . MY cousin also has RSD in her foot like I do and she goes to work the next day as a waitress .

I don't know about the dye , I have never have that .

I will be honest , I was scared to death before I had my first one done. My sweet friend that had them done told me everything , so I knew what to expect .

Where are you having these done ? In a hospital or surgery center? I had all 7 done at a surgery center . I have heard that some have them done in a doctor's office . Their is no way I would .

What they do is put an IV in you. This way all the meds they give you go through the IV . They alway give me a little versade to relax me before they bring me to the OR . You lay on your stomach and they put heart montitors on you and BP cup . Then they give me the good meds ... Seriously you have no clue as to what they are doing and don't care what they are doing. Then before you know it , it is all done and you are in recovery .

I have woke up two times in the middle of the injections and did not feel a thing. My Pain doc would give me more meds . You are not all the way out , but you don't know what is going on .

Make sure that your doctor is going to use florascope(SP) x-ray to see where to put the needles ..

I wish you the best , RSD is very complex and hard to understand .

If I can help you in any other way please ask .... Laurie R

Re: Susie

Tammie on 3/28/02 at 11:24 (077836)

I am thinking of you and hoping that all goes well with your blocks ! I t must be very frightening of the unknown! Take care and we will keep u in our prayers!

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 17:51 (077874)

Hi Laurie,

Is there any chance of scar tissue building up, with multiple nerve block injections? My doctor did not recommend them, as he apparently did not think they would help PF.

Thanks
BrianG