Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

follow-up question for doctors about navicular fracture/accessory bone

Posted by Natalie R. on 3/25/02 at 09:52 (077483)

Thanks for the insight about my injury. I'm wondering now whether I should see a second opinion. Dr. Zuckerman said I should be immobilizied. I wonder whether this mean the air cast that I am already in or something more confining? Is this only recommended if it turns out the problem is an old fracture?

Right now, it doesn't seem as if the dr I'm seeing is too worried about whether or not it is an old fracture or an accessory bone. I'm in physical therapy, where they said my pelvis is out of whack. They think this is what caused the foot to start hurting in the first place because essentially right now my right leg is longer than my left from this misalignment. I've been given exercises to treat the misalignment problem.

But I'm worried that the foot itself is not being addressed? What would your recommendation be for seeking a second opinion. Should I be scheduled for an mri or bone scan? I get the impression that the dr I am currently seeing is waiting to see whether the pain resolves itself before scheduling these tests. But it seems to me important to find out for sure whether it is an improperly healed fracture? If it is, won't the pain come right back? Same thing for an accessory bone?

I'm so confused, and it is making me very frustrated. One last thing, the pt said I could bike to keep up my cardio fitness. but the bike seems to aggrevate my foot. should I lay off? I guess it's common sense, but she said it should be fine so maybe it doesn't matter if it hurts?

Thank you!!

Re: follow-up question for doctors about navicular fracture/accessory bone

Julie on 3/26/02 at 02:44 (077575)

Natalie, I think it does matter if it hurts. It always matters, but particularly if you have an injury. I would be inclined to lay off the bike. If you can swim, swim for cardiovascular exercise.

Re: follow-up question for doctors about navicular fracture/accessory bone

Julie on 3/26/02 at 02:44 (077575)

Natalie, I think it does matter if it hurts. It always matters, but particularly if you have an injury. I would be inclined to lay off the bike. If you can swim, swim for cardiovascular exercise.