Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ganglion cyst

Posted by Suzanne M on 3/25/02 at 09:53 (077484)

I have had a cyst on the top of my foot for some time now. In the past it has bothered me only after it was rubbed hard while taking off my shoe or injury by one of my little ones stepping on it. Recently it started bothering more since running on a more consistent basis. I saw a podiatrist who gave me a shot of cortizone to see if it would help...not really discussing it before he did it. That was about 5 weeks ago. After about 2 days of the tendon having spasms (i.e., tightening up) it seems to have helped. It did not bother me until about a week ago. Currently, it seems to be rubbing quiet a bit on the nerves running to my second and third toes. If I move it any other way but straight or aligned I was getting shooting pains in my toes. I have gotten to where I am almost afraid to walk on it. Could the cortizone shot have injured the tendon or made the cyst worse? Is surgery the best option? I really need to get back to running and am not sure what to do at this point.

Re: ganglion cyst

BG CPed on 3/25/02 at 19:21 (077544)

I would talk to your Doc and or maybe a second opinion. Also go to a running store and have them show you how to lace that shoe to create a window around the pressure point. This is easy to do, rather than have the lace criss cross over the tendet spot run the lace up 2 or 3 holes on the same side then cross them at the top. If you do it you should have a soft tongue area with no lace touching the hot spot.

Re: ganglion cyst

BG CPed on 3/25/02 at 19:21 (077544)

I would talk to your Doc and or maybe a second opinion. Also go to a running store and have them show you how to lace that shoe to create a window around the pressure point. This is easy to do, rather than have the lace criss cross over the tendet spot run the lace up 2 or 3 holes on the same side then cross them at the top. If you do it you should have a soft tongue area with no lace touching the hot spot.