Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Julie

Posted by Carmen H on 3/25/02 at 13:55 (077508)

Will you read my post in the doctors section andtell me what you think? I am off to the Pod tomorrow and would like to go with some ammo. Actually just some ideas to discuss with him and I value your input on the biomechanics of the body.

Re: Carmen

Julie on 3/26/02 at 03:12 (077579)

Carmen, I've been keeping up with it, and this morning I looked at the picture. I agree with Ed that over-pronation seems to be your problem. That turning in of the ankle is a sure sign, and I would suspect that it is your root cause. I can't believe three pods have told you you don't pronate.

Julie on 3/26/02 at 03:25 (077580)

And speaking of ankles...I was heading towards Charing Cross Station last night on my way home from my class, and in Leicester Square I saw two young girls walking in front of me. One of them was wearing four-inch stiletto winklepickers, and her right ankle was turning in so much it almost hit the pavement.

So I thought to myself - there goes a lovely future case of PF.

Re: winklewhat?

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 07:01 (077582)

What in the name of Sam is a Winklepicker?? Sounds painful whatever it is....just the visual I got hurts me.
:-)
hee hee.
Yes...I am pursuing the whole thing and my therapist is studying my hips and wondering if that has to do with internal rotation as well.
She's awesome.
Thanks Julie!
:o)

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 07:38 (077587)

Carmen, you and I often sound like we were 'cut from the same mold'

I have problems with rotation too - and many doctors have completly overlooked or missed it.

It's usually only after I say 'No - look again' - and I point, then the say 'Oh - my goodness'.

Drives me nuts.

Re: ?'

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 07:39 (077588)

Winklepicker must be one of those British phrses, sounds like it!

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 07:56 (077591)

I know it! I think that too when reading some of your psots. ;-)
Hey...it's a good mold right?

Julie on 3/26/02 at 16:25 (077629)

Carmen, Wendy, you're too young to have heard of winklepickers. But John will know what they are. They are shoes with VERY pointy toes. Horrible shoes. They were fashionable in the States around Elvis Presley's heyday, in the 50s. They aren't British - though for all I know they were fashionable here, too.

Carmen, it's entirely likely, I should think, that internal rotation has affected your hips. It's good you have such an observant physio.

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 16:29 (077634)

I know exactly the shoes you speak of!
ONE word and a sentence.
OUCH
and
THANK the lord I wasn't born at that time! ouch again.

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:53 (077654)

Well, Julie, I'm 52 and was about 8 when Presley was starting out. I have a sister who's 7 years older than I, butI don't remember her wearing or talking about winklepickers. Maybe it wasn't a term used in conservative New England. I DO just love the sound of the word, though! I was sure it was an English expression because you have a wonderful way with words over there!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:19 (077669)

I'm 53 and I don't remember winklepickers in St. Louis either (which was where I was living when Elvis started out). I had two big brothers that lived at home and were frat rats (but in that era even they had ducktails, of course! LOL or else flattops other years), but I never heard of winklepickers. I think Julie must have hung out with a very 'with it' bunch back then! (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 21:31 (077670)

I'm 49 and remember women wearing what were called 'spike heels' when I was a little girl. (Kind of like the shoes my Barbie doll wore. And look at THOSE feet; permanently in that high arched position!) :-) I never heard of winklepickers, but then we were never at the forefront of fashion terms in my 'neck of the woods'! :-)

It's an interesting word, though, I must say! I think my first graders would like saying it...Winklepicker, winklepicker...

Can you all tell that I am already missing them on this first night of spring break?!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:47 (077672)

Yes! I remember those 'spike heels' too, and I remember women complaining of pain in their toes and forefeet from the narrow, rigidly pointed toes of those shoes. They were very fashionable.

I agree, first graders would love to chant about winklepickers! The word has a rhythmic sound and reminds me of a nursery rhyme - - the one about Wee Willie Winkie (Runs through the Town, Upstairs and Downstairs in his Night Gown!). I never did figure the meaning of THAT one out! LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 22:45 (077675)

'Winklepicker Winklepicker!' sort of reminds me of 'Nosepicker nosepicker!' ...sounds like a derogatory 6 year old insult.

Re: Happy to have found you

Susan K on 3/27/02 at 07:13 (077704)

I just found this area after suffering with PF for 10 months & this is like an oasis in the desert! I feel like I talk about it all the time to people who have no idea what it is. It would have helped my sanity to have found all of you sooner. Doctors who are supposed to know about this condition didnt even mention stretching to me. Incredible! Well I'm so glad to read your posts. I dont feel quite so alone. Susan

Julie on 3/27/02 at 07:20 (077705)

...even if all we ever talk about is winklepickers???

We're happy you found us, Susan. It really does help to have PF friends.

JudyS on 3/27/02 at 10:19 (077721)

I don't remember ever hearing that term (winklepickers) either...and I'm pretty old! At first I thought you were calling John h a less-than-flattering name..........:)
John WP h

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 10:55 (077725)

It makes me think of a playground 'jump rope rhyme'. You know, something like -
Winklepicker, winklepicker, my best friend.
Winklepicker, winklepicker, count to ten.
1, 2, 3, 4...

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 10:57 (077727)

Welcome, Susan! I, too, have had PF for 10 months now. I am quite a bit better, thanks in a large part to the information and support I found here!

Keep reading and posting. You'll be glad you did!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 14:21 (077737)

Susan, I'm so glad you found this area too! It must have been awful to have nobody to talk to about this except people with healthy feet. They try to understand, but they just can't.

Have you read the heel pain book on this website? It's free and has lots of ideas about how you can help your feet to heal. It's a good starting point and then posting on the message board helps a lot too.

Carole C

Re: Magnetic shoe inserts

Susan K on 3/28/02 at 17:28 (077868)

Hi All! Has anyone ever tried magnetic shoe inserts? Upon looking in the internet & finding 1,000 sites I'm confused. The magnets that I attach to my foot @ night are great, but maybe an insole would help too. Everyday is a new challange w/ PF. A male runner wrote me about his condition, but he runs 91 miles a week!!! Funny it seems to strike the avid exercisers and the not-so-avid!! Susan

Julie on 3/26/02 at 03:12 (077579)

Carmen, I've been keeping up with it, and this morning I looked at the picture. I agree with Ed that over-pronation seems to be your problem. That turning in of the ankle is a sure sign, and I would suspect that it is your root cause. I can't believe three pods have told you you don't pronate.

Julie on 3/26/02 at 03:25 (077580)

And speaking of ankles...I was heading towards Charing Cross Station last night on my way home from my class, and in Leicester Square I saw two young girls walking in front of me. One of them was wearing four-inch stiletto winklepickers, and her right ankle was turning in so much it almost hit the pavement.

So I thought to myself - there goes a lovely future case of PF.

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 07:01 (077582)

What in the name of Sam is a Winklepicker?? Sounds painful whatever it is....just the visual I got hurts me.
hee hee.
Yes...I am pursuing the whole thing and my therapist is studying my hips and wondering if that has to do with internal rotation as well.
She's awesome.
Thanks Julie!
:o)

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 07:38 (077587)

Carmen, you and I often sound like we were 'cut from the same mold'

I have problems with rotation too - and many doctors have completly overlooked or missed it.

It's usually only after I say 'No - look again' - and I point, then the say 'Oh - my goodness'.

Drives me nuts.

Re: ?'

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 07:39 (077588)

Winklepicker must be one of those British phrses, sounds like it!

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 07:56 (077591)

I know it! I think that too when reading some of your psots. ;-)
Hey...it's a good mold right?

Julie on 3/26/02 at 16:25 (077629)

Carmen, Wendy, you're too young to have heard of winklepickers. But John will know what they are. They are shoes with VERY pointy toes. Horrible shoes. They were fashionable in the States around Elvis Presley's heyday, in the 50s. They aren't British - though for all I know they were fashionable here, too.

Carmen, it's entirely likely, I should think, that internal rotation has affected your hips. It's good you have such an observant physio.

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 16:29 (077634)

I know exactly the shoes you speak of!
ONE word and a sentence.
OUCH
and
THANK the lord I wasn't born at that time! ouch again.

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:53 (077654)

Well, Julie, I'm 52 and was about 8 when Presley was starting out. I have a sister who's 7 years older than I, butI don't remember her wearing or talking about winklepickers. Maybe it wasn't a term used in conservative New England. I DO just love the sound of the word, though! I was sure it was an English expression because you have a wonderful way with words over there!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:19 (077669)

I'm 53 and I don't remember winklepickers in St. Louis either (which was where I was living when Elvis started out). I had two big brothers that lived at home and were frat rats (but in that era even they had ducktails, of course! LOL or else flattops other years), but I never heard of winklepickers. I think Julie must have hung out with a very 'with it' bunch back then! (grin)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 21:31 (077670)

I'm 49 and remember women wearing what were called 'spike heels' when I was a little girl. (Kind of like the shoes my Barbie doll wore. And look at THOSE feet; permanently in that high arched position!) :-) I never heard of winklepickers, but then we were never at the forefront of fashion terms in my 'neck of the woods'! :-)

It's an interesting word, though, I must say! I think my first graders would like saying it...Winklepicker, winklepicker...

Can you all tell that I am already missing them on this first night of spring break?!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:47 (077672)

Yes! I remember those 'spike heels' too, and I remember women complaining of pain in their toes and forefeet from the narrow, rigidly pointed toes of those shoes. They were very fashionable.

I agree, first graders would love to chant about winklepickers! The word has a rhythmic sound and reminds me of a nursery rhyme - - the one about Wee Willie Winkie (Runs through the Town, Upstairs and Downstairs in his Night Gown!). I never did figure the meaning of THAT one out! LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 3/26/02 at 22:45 (077675)

'Winklepicker Winklepicker!' sort of reminds me of 'Nosepicker nosepicker!' ...sounds like a derogatory 6 year old insult.

Susan K on 3/27/02 at 07:13 (077704)

I just found this area after suffering with PF for 10 months & this is like an oasis in the desert! I feel like I talk about it all the time to people who have no idea what it is. It would have helped my sanity to have found all of you sooner. Doctors who are supposed to know about this condition didnt even mention stretching to me. Incredible! Well I'm so glad to read your posts. I dont feel quite so alone. Susan

Julie on 3/27/02 at 07:20 (077705)

...even if all we ever talk about is winklepickers???

We're happy you found us, Susan. It really does help to have PF friends.

JudyS on 3/27/02 at 10:19 (077721)

I don't remember ever hearing that term (winklepickers) either...and I'm pretty old! At first I thought you were calling John h a less-than-flattering name..........:)
John WP h

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 10:55 (077725)

It makes me think of a playground 'jump rope rhyme'. You know, something like -
Winklepicker, winklepicker, my best friend.
Winklepicker, winklepicker, count to ten.
1, 2, 3, 4...

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 10:57 (077727)

Welcome, Susan! I, too, have had PF for 10 months now. I am quite a bit better, thanks in a large part to the information and support I found here!

Keep reading and posting. You'll be glad you did!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 14:21 (077737)

Susan, I'm so glad you found this area too! It must have been awful to have nobody to talk to about this except people with healthy feet. They try to understand, but they just can't.

Have you read the heel pain book on this website? It's free and has lots of ideas about how you can help your feet to heal. It's a good starting point and then posting on the message board helps a lot too.

Carole C

Re: Magnetic shoe inserts

Susan K on 3/28/02 at 17:28 (077868)

Hi All! Has anyone ever tried magnetic shoe inserts? Upon looking in the internet & finding 1,000 sites I'm confused. The magnets that I attach to my foot @ night are great, but maybe an insole would help too. Everyday is a new challange w/ PF. A male runner wrote me about his condition, but he runs 91 miles a week!!! Funny it seems to strike the avid exercisers and the not-so-avid!! Susan