Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

No Pain No Gain My Foot!!!

Posted by Shawn on 3/25/02 at 14:50 (077518)

I had TT surgery 11-16-01 and started PT the second week of Jan, 2002. I was given steroids, Ibuprofen and Vicodin. The first 3 weeks of PT went well. I had very little pain and was given many exercises to do. The fourth week my condition went down hill fast. Pain, swelling and bruising intensified and continued the next 4 weeks. I went back to my doctor and he gave me a cortisone shot, steroids, and Celebrex. My condition remained the same for 3 more weeks. The next 9 days I had big improvement and continued with PT. Now I'm back to square one. My foot hurts. I have muscle spasims, shooting pain and bruising. I am in almost as much pain as I was prior to surgery. I have about a 6 inch scar that starts at the center of the arch of my foot and contnues up the the side of my ankle. Bruising is visable on the upper half of my scar. When I walk or stand for too long (which isn't very long) the swelling and pain increases. It has been almost 5 months since surgery is this normal?
The injury happened at work. It had been pouring down rain that day (6-30-01) and the ground was flooded. I was walking back to my truck and stepped into a hole that was 18 inches deep causing the toe end of my foot to bend upward towards my leg. I had an MRI and a EMG done. The doctor that conducted the EMG said that I had nerve damage and that it would heal and that I would regain feeling behind my heel that I had lost. If that had been the only symptom I would have went back to work, but it wasn't. I had so much pain that I couldn't hardly walk on that foot. The orthopedic surgeon that I was seeing said that it was TTS and suggested surgery. This is the way the surgeon put it. I had fallen into a hole tearing the nerve and blood ran down the nerve canal forming scar tissue balling the nerve up in a knot. Surgery proved him to be right.
I'm do to see my doctor next week and fear that I might have to have the sugery again. Has anyone had the same experience with the surgery as I have? If so what did you do? Thank You.

Re: No Pain No Gain My Foot!!!

Wanda T. on 3/26/02 at 12:10 (077602)

I had surgery done 12-22-01 on one foot and the other one done.2-6-02. I had no injury they just diagnosed tarsel tunnel. I have no arthritis and doctor did not know why I have this. I have always been very active. My feet still hurt and I am worried that they may never get better even though I have tried the surgery.

Re: No Pain No Gain My Foot!!!

Wanda T. on 3/26/02 at 12:10 (077602)

I had surgery done 12-22-01 on one foot and the other one done.2-6-02. I had no injury they just diagnosed tarsel tunnel. I have no arthritis and doctor did not know why I have this. I have always been very active. My feet still hurt and I am worried that they may never get better even though I have tried the surgery.