Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shot

Posted by john h on 3/25/02 at 15:18 (077522)

It is day four after my shot into left foot. Pain level still less than one (1) and although I have not done any formal walking I am doing my normal activities. Interesting! The last time I got a shot was about 3 years ago and the effect lasted 3 days but at that time I did some heavy duty walking after the shot. Have been wearing birk sandals 90% of the time since the shot. The foot I did not get the shot in is also about at the same pain level. Perhaps the cortisone is absorbed into the blood stream and has some other effect on the both feet as some have suggested. I am going to ask the doctor again what is his medical reasoing behind the phenomena.

Re: shot

Carole C in NOLA on 3/25/02 at 16:07 (077529)

FANTASTIC!!! Four days down, and I think you are on a roll. I sure hope so. Let's see how long this can keep up!!! Birkenstocks are great. I wear mine around the house a lot, but if I wear them to work for more than one day, my feet get tired of them.

As for the reduction of pain in your other foot, I do not know the reason. However I do have some ideas but they are difficult to express in anything but the simplest terms, and maybe they are wrong, so I won't even try to speculate. Think of it this way; the pain is gone, and its not unexpected, so does it really matter why?

I don't think it's 'all in the head', if that's what you were thinking, but more likely just the way the body sometimes responds.

Carole C

Sharon W on 3/25/02 at 16:50 (077530)

John,

Four days is a good start! You're right, it may have been the 'heavy duty walking' that made it last only 3 days last time. Or the difference may be some healing in your feet that has taken place since that injection you had before, and THIS time the steriod was enough to make you feel better for weeks, or even months! I really hope it will.

Or, as you say, it might be the sandals. I've been reading a lot of posts that mention Birks and I need to check into them. I REALLY don't want to have to wear sweaty shoes all summer!

-- Sharon

Re: John, how's the shot doing?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 20:27 (077792)

Are you still pain free? Today is day six so maybe not. I hope you are still 'being good' and not straining your feet.

Carole C (in mother hen mode)

john h on 3/28/02 at 08:53 (077824)

Carole: As I expected the pain has returned on day 6. Not as bad as before shot but I did have a few totally pain free days. I had forgot what that was all about. I am glad I got the shot because I think I can discard any thoughts of any other disease process except PF. I do know I do much better in the warm weather than the winter so thankfully the heat is on the way. 72 today. I look forward to the 80's and up. I guess I spent to much time in the jungle. You Oceanographers probably would like the artic waters but I thought Greenland and anything north of the artic circle sucked.Stay in the Gulf and enjoy the sharks and dolphins.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 11:43 (077838)

Darn, sorry to hear that the pain returned. I guess I thought it might have, but one can always hope. At least you were pain free for a few days longer, and that is encouraging. I've never had one of those shots, and it seems to me that a person would have to be exceedingly brave or nearly desperate to ask for one. I don't think there's one person here who has not felt pretty desperate at one point or other in their PF, though. Anyway, now that the shot's worn off, I hope the pain level today at least remains relatively low.

It does sound like there is not much room for lingering doubt about you having PF. I'm really glad that you do better in the warm weather! My feet seem to like the cooler, sunny, and crisp as a bell winter highs. Easy to say, since I've never been north of Vermont and that was only for summer camp when I was a kid. Haven't lived north of Norfolk during the winter as an adult, unless San Francisco is further north. Well, except for England in 1972. The cold water that splashed over the deck (and repeatedly seemed to drench me) at sea a couple of weeks ago was exhilarating and great.

The timing of seasonal changes may work out pretty well for me too, since I've been improving quite a bit during the past month or so and now I'm working on slowly regaining mobility. This is a phase that demands all the patience that I have been learning with PF. The temptation is to jump into any and all exercise whole-hog, but that would be so imprudent. I'm still riding my recumbent bike (with orthotics and sensibly) and I'm adding a few minutes a day to my 'brisk-housework-for-exercise' schedule, in orthotics also just to stay on the safe side. After resembling a pig-sty for several months due to all my resting, my apartment thanks me!

Today is a typical day at work for me as an oceanographer; commenting on a draft report of a study we are funding, reviewing the plans for another study that might be funded this spring, and thinking of starting to write my section of an environmental document. And planning my retirement as I work.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 3/25/02 at 16:07 (077529)

FANTASTIC!!! Four days down, and I think you are on a roll. I sure hope so. Let's see how long this can keep up!!! Birkenstocks are great. I wear mine around the house a lot, but if I wear them to work for more than one day, my feet get tired of them.

As for the reduction of pain in your other foot, I do not know the reason. However I do have some ideas but they are difficult to express in anything but the simplest terms, and maybe they are wrong, so I won't even try to speculate. Think of it this way; the pain is gone, and its not unexpected, so does it really matter why?

I don't think it's 'all in the head', if that's what you were thinking, but more likely just the way the body sometimes responds.

Carole C

Sharon W on 3/25/02 at 16:50 (077530)

John,

Four days is a good start! You're right, it may have been the 'heavy duty walking' that made it last only 3 days last time. Or the difference may be some healing in your feet that has taken place since that injection you had before, and THIS time the steriod was enough to make you feel better for weeks, or even months! I really hope it will.

Or, as you say, it might be the sandals. I've been reading a lot of posts that mention Birks and I need to check into them. I REALLY don't want to have to wear sweaty shoes all summer!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 20:27 (077792)

Are you still pain free? Today is day six so maybe not. I hope you are still 'being good' and not straining your feet.

Carole C (in mother hen mode)

john h on 3/28/02 at 08:53 (077824)

Carole: As I expected the pain has returned on day 6. Not as bad as before shot but I did have a few totally pain free days. I had forgot what that was all about. I am glad I got the shot because I think I can discard any thoughts of any other disease process except PF. I do know I do much better in the warm weather than the winter so thankfully the heat is on the way. 72 today. I look forward to the 80's and up. I guess I spent to much time in the jungle. You Oceanographers probably would like the artic waters but I thought Greenland and anything north of the artic circle sucked.Stay in the Gulf and enjoy the sharks and dolphins.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 11:43 (077838)

Darn, sorry to hear that the pain returned. I guess I thought it might have, but one can always hope. At least you were pain free for a few days longer, and that is encouraging. I've never had one of those shots, and it seems to me that a person would have to be exceedingly brave or nearly desperate to ask for one. I don't think there's one person here who has not felt pretty desperate at one point or other in their PF, though. Anyway, now that the shot's worn off, I hope the pain level today at least remains relatively low.

It does sound like there is not much room for lingering doubt about you having PF. I'm really glad that you do better in the warm weather! My feet seem to like the cooler, sunny, and crisp as a bell winter highs. Easy to say, since I've never been north of Vermont and that was only for summer camp when I was a kid. Haven't lived north of Norfolk during the winter as an adult, unless San Francisco is further north. Well, except for England in 1972. The cold water that splashed over the deck (and repeatedly seemed to drench me) at sea a couple of weeks ago was exhilarating and great.

The timing of seasonal changes may work out pretty well for me too, since I've been improving quite a bit during the past month or so and now I'm working on slowly regaining mobility. This is a phase that demands all the patience that I have been learning with PF. The temptation is to jump into any and all exercise whole-hog, but that would be so imprudent. I'm still riding my recumbent bike (with orthotics and sensibly) and I'm adding a few minutes a day to my 'brisk-housework-for-exercise' schedule, in orthotics also just to stay on the safe side. After resembling a pig-sty for several months due to all my resting, my apartment thanks me!

Today is a typical day at work for me as an oceanographer; commenting on a draft report of a study we are funding, reviewing the plans for another study that might be funded this spring, and thinking of starting to write my section of an environmental document. And planning my retirement as I work.

Carole C