Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Something to think about for all of us...or not. You choose ;-)

Posted by Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 07:11 (077584)

Don't Whine
Today I saw a lovely girl with golden hair,
envied her and wished I were so fair.
When she rose to go, she hobbled down the aisle.
She had one leg, wore a crutch and a smile.
OH GOD FORGIVE ME WHEN I WHINE
I HAVE TWO LEGS, THE WORLD IS MINE.

Then I stopped by to buy some sweets.
The lad who sold them had such charm.
I talked with him-my being late was no harm.
As I left he said to me 'you've been so kind.
You see,' he said, 'I am blind.'
OH GOD FORGIVE ME WHEN I WHINE
I HAVE TWO EYES THE WORLD IS MINE.

Later, I saw a child with eyes of blue.
Watching others play, not knowing what to do.
'Why don't you join the others, dear.'
He stared ahead he could not hear.
OH GOD FORGIVE ME WHEN I WHINE..........

~author unknown

Just a little somethin to remind us of our fortune....no matter how BAD we think we have it.

Re: Something to think about for all of us...or not. You choose ;-)

Sharon W on 3/26/02 at 11:03 (077595)

Carmen,

TOO TRUE! I LOVED the poem!

When I begin feeling sorry for myself I often think of a lady I know with end stage renal disease (ESRD). ESRD is fatal -- even for people who carefully follow ALL the rules and always show up for kidney dialysis as scheduled, unless they somehow manage to get a kidney transplant.

This lady had surgery to create a new kidney dialysis access in her thigh. But something went terribly wrong -- something called 'steal syndrome' -- and rather than creating new ways of getting blood circulation to the area that had been operated in, her body started shunting its blood supply AWAY FROM that leg, and her foot began to die. I won't go into details, but it was getting pretty ugly by the time they amputated her leg below the knee. Even THAT didn't stop it; her lower leg began to die too, and they had to amputate AGAIN -- ABOVE the knee this time. Then she developed TERRIBLE problems with phantom pain in her leg and foot that were no longer there. The pain, the surgery, and the kidney disease together must have been too much for her, because she then had a heart attack!

But somehow, this sweet, lovable, terrific, TOUGH little lady survived. She was finally released from the hospital to a nursing home. And I heard news of her just a couple of weeks ago; she's back to living at home with her family. She's STILL 'hanging in ther' and she STIll has a positive outlook on life!!

-- Sharon

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 12:27 (077605)

WOW. what a story. I mean she is a tougher person than I could ever be....I don't know. I think there comes a time when you just shrivel up and ask God to take over.
Thaksfor sharing...:-)

Julie on 3/26/02 at 16:26 (077630)

It's precisely when you ask God to take over that you get the strength and the help you need to get through whatever it is.

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 16:46 (077639)

You are so right, Julie. And thanks for the poem, Carmen; it's good to be reminded of all that we have to be thankful for. Sharon, I will pray for the lady your mentioned.

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:47 (077653)

Thank you, Carmen, for putting everything into perspective. And to Julie for once again reinforcing the positive message we all need to hear!

Ardee W. on 3/27/02 at 09:09 (077715)

Thank you, Carmen, for sharing that poem and Sharon for the inspiring story! Do any of you ever listen to Joyce Meyer? She is good for inspiration on enjoying our lives, also. She has a series right now, something like..'Be DETERMINED to enjoy every day of your life'. She says Be determined to keep your joy! Nehemiah says, 'The joy of the Lord is our strength' and satan wants to steal our strength....something else to think about if we choose to...

Rich on 3/27/02 at 10:08 (077719)

Hello Ardee! I had the awesome experience of seeing Joyce live in Houston at Lakewood Church! It was really fantastic. I went with a group of ladies from my church and we really had a good time, albiet a well behaved time! Randy Travis performed from his spiritual CD and we met lots of nice people.

Stealing Back my own Strength...
Rich

Ardee W. on 3/27/02 at 22:37 (077802)

Hi Rich! How is it going for you and the 'boot'? I would like to go see Joyce Meyer sometime - she doesn't get this far west that I have ever seen. I have been watching her every morning lately while I ride my recumbent bicycle. Sure have been encouraged by her 'enjoying life every day' series. Randy Travis! He's great!!

Sharon W on 3/26/02 at 11:03 (077595)

Carmen,

TOO TRUE! I LOVED the poem!

When I begin feeling sorry for myself I often think of a lady I know with end stage renal disease (ESRD). ESRD is fatal -- even for people who carefully follow ALL the rules and always show up for kidney dialysis as scheduled, unless they somehow manage to get a kidney transplant.

This lady had surgery to create a new kidney dialysis access in her thigh. But something went terribly wrong -- something called 'steal syndrome' -- and rather than creating new ways of getting blood circulation to the area that had been operated in, her body started shunting its blood supply AWAY FROM that leg, and her foot began to die. I won't go into details, but it was getting pretty ugly by the time they amputated her leg below the knee. Even THAT didn't stop it; her lower leg began to die too, and they had to amputate AGAIN -- ABOVE the knee this time. Then she developed TERRIBLE problems with phantom pain in her leg and foot that were no longer there. The pain, the surgery, and the kidney disease together must have been too much for her, because she then had a heart attack!

But somehow, this sweet, lovable, terrific, TOUGH little lady survived. She was finally released from the hospital to a nursing home. And I heard news of her just a couple of weeks ago; she's back to living at home with her family. She's STILL 'hanging in ther' and she STIll has a positive outlook on life!!

-- Sharon

Carmen H on 3/26/02 at 12:27 (077605)

WOW. what a story. I mean she is a tougher person than I could ever be....I don't know. I think there comes a time when you just shrivel up and ask God to take over.
Thaksfor sharing...:-)

Julie on 3/26/02 at 16:26 (077630)

It's precisely when you ask God to take over that you get the strength and the help you need to get through whatever it is.

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 16:46 (077639)

You are so right, Julie. And thanks for the poem, Carmen; it's good to be reminded of all that we have to be thankful for. Sharon, I will pray for the lady your mentioned.

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:47 (077653)

Thank you, Carmen, for putting everything into perspective. And to Julie for once again reinforcing the positive message we all need to hear!

Ardee W. on 3/27/02 at 09:09 (077715)

Thank you, Carmen, for sharing that poem and Sharon for the inspiring story! Do any of you ever listen to Joyce Meyer? She is good for inspiration on enjoying our lives, also. She has a series right now, something like..'Be DETERMINED to enjoy every day of your life'. She says Be determined to keep your joy! Nehemiah says, 'The joy of the Lord is our strength' and satan wants to steal our strength....something else to think about if we choose to...

Rich on 3/27/02 at 10:08 (077719)

Hello Ardee! I had the awesome experience of seeing Joyce live in Houston at Lakewood Church! It was really fantastic. I went with a group of ladies from my church and we really had a good time, albiet a well behaved time! Randy Travis performed from his spiritual CD and we met lots of nice people.

Stealing Back my own Strength...
Rich

Ardee W. on 3/27/02 at 22:37 (077802)

Hi Rich! How is it going for you and the 'boot'? I would like to go see Joyce Meyer sometime - she doesn't get this far west that I have ever seen. I have been watching her every morning lately while I ride my recumbent bicycle. Sure have been encouraged by her 'enjoying life every day' series. Randy Travis! He's great!!