Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treatment of accessory ossicle

Posted by Natalie R. on 3/26/02 at 11:01 (077594)

Hi. I posted a message about my recent diagnosis of accessory ossicle--either from an old fracture or from an accessory bone. This problem is at my navicular bone. I was having pain while running that had gotten worse recently. The x-ray revealed the ossicle.

So, what's the treatment like for this problem? I'm in physical therapy, and the pt said whether it's an unhealed fracture or an accessory bone, the treatment is the same.

I'm in an air cast, and pt is dealing with my mechanics problems (pelvis was out of alignment making my injured leg seem shorter than the other one. Will solving the mechanics problems heal the injury? When can I expect to return to running?

I'm getting so frustrated from not understanding.

Thanks!

Re: Treatment of accessory ossicle

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/02 at 11:32 (077599)

The aircast, the physical therapy and resolving the mechanical foot and lower extremity problems will help to heal and return you to running. The cast if for rest, the physical therapy is for reduction of swelling, strengthing of the posterior tibial tendon. You will probaby need biomechanical orthosis to control the abnormal foot motion.

Re: Treatment of accessory ossicle

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/26/02 at 11:32 (077599)

The aircast, the physical therapy and resolving the mechanical foot and lower extremity problems will help to heal and return you to running. The cast if for rest, the physical therapy is for reduction of swelling, strengthing of the posterior tibial tendon. You will probaby need biomechanical orthosis to control the abnormal foot motion.