Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Torn Plantar Fascia

Posted by Rich C. on 3/26/02 at 15:35 (077622)

I am having an MRI to confirm a possible torn PF. I have been bothered by my PF for about 3 months, and I had one cortisone shot. I am a 42-year old former college basketball player, who continues to play competitively in leagues 3 days a week.

Last week while playing, I heard a pop in my foot and immediately stopped playing. I saw my doctor, and he believes that I tore my PF. I can walk, but not without pain.

Has anyone had this happen? I have read notes and most seemed to just have PF, without a tear.

If anyone has had this, what are your experiences about surgical versus non-surgical treatments. I want to avoid surgery at all costs.

Thank you to anyone who may respond.

Re: Torn Plantar Fascia

BrianJ on 3/26/02 at 16:26 (077631)

Rich --

Sorry to hear about the recent aggravation of your heel pain. Many doctors believe that PF is caused -- at least sometimes -- by small tears in the fascia, or by the fascia tearing the covering (periosteum) away from the heel bone. Thus, 'tears' and PF are not mutually exclusive. Some of these tears may show up on an MRI, but many will not. Though I am not a doctor, I would stongly suggest you stay off the foot as much as possible and see a good doctor promptly. Your best chance of healing is now, when this injury is still in the acute phase.

Best of luck, and let us know how you progress.

john h on 3/27/02 at 08:24 (077707)

Rich: One of my Doctors who is a Foot and Ankle Surgeon (MD) had very bad PF. She was participating in some athletic event and completely tore the fascia loose from her heel. She said it cured her PF. What will happen down the road for her is an unknown. I have talke to a number of NBA basketball players including Corliss Williamson and Scotty Pipping. PF is more common in the NBA than most people realize. PLayers tend to hide this from their coaches because of big salaries,etc. Many players wear orthotics as a prevenative measure. Some have gone to Canada for ESWT treatments. My doctor who tore her fascia alse described a loud pop. Some years ago I was playing basketall and heard a pop and felt a slight twinge in the back of my calf. I thouhgt a stray ball from the handball court had hit my calf. I continued to play but within one hour I was in excruating pain. I had torn a calf muscle. It took several months to heal and I had trouble walking. I have no idea what happens when you have a partial tear of the fascia. One of the docs will probably tell you. I have read of several NFL players tearing their fascia the past couple of years and the articles always say they will be out for 6 or more weeks. I really find that hard to beleive as a fascia release typically takes a year for it to completely heal. I will be interested to hear what your MRI shows and how they treat it.

dave on 3/27/02 at 08:47 (077713)

I believe that my fascia completely tore off resulting from two cortizone shots that i had. When it tore i went right to the ground. That took over a year to heal up. I still have plantar fasciitis four years later.

dave on 3/27/02 at 12:22 (077734)

I am not sure that it tore completely away. But i am sure that when it was healing i could actually feel it reattaching itself over a longtime. It was very unnerving. My original pf started at the insertion point. thats when i had the cortizone shots. Since then, my pain seems to come from a spot alot further back. Back when i thought the fascia tore my heels where so soar i couldnt even walk to feet. I crawled around the house for months. I had to quit the job that i loved. Now i have a desk job with a much lower pay. At least now (four years later) i am able to come to work and sit down. I am also finally able to feed my dogs and do the dishes without severe pain. My condition has improved over the years to the point that i do have a quality of life again. I will be having the eswt treatmet on friday by doctor z. I am flying out of Milwaukee. I am hopeful that i will have some improvement. It would be worth it then . My insurance wont cover the procedure at all so i am going to tap into my savings for this .

John h on 3/27/02 at 18:06 (077761)

Best of luck Dave. You will enjoy your visit to Dr. Z's. I am anxious to hear how it all goes and follow your recovery. I spent much of my youth not to far from Milwaukee on the North Shore in Lake Forest and Highland Park.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/28/02 at 20:16 (077902)

A torn plantar fascia can often act like a surgical plantar fascial release---painful initially but actually leads to resolution of the problem.
Ed

john h on 3/29/02 at 10:57 (077966)

Dr. Ed: what sort of treatment do you do for a torn fasica or one that has completely torn free. I see this sometimes with football players. Also Dr. Ed in your experience what would you say your success rate for surgery (Pf Release) has been? About what percentage would you say were worse after surgery than before. I have talked to a number of doctors who have done a lot of Pf releases and the success numbers I hear range from 75%-95% with very low numbers of people who have been made worse. The few people I am personally familiar with seem to have done well.

dave on 4/01/02 at 12:09 (078165)

Wow, i grew up in Muskego. Now i live in a small town called Mayville, its near horicon marsh. You are right about seeing doctor z. He really has it together over there. Not your typical office where you are moved around like animals. the procedure itself was a piece of cake. I had a foot block and doctor z used the new machine on me. You will need a foot block let me tell ya. Even with the block there where some unnerving times. After the procedure we sat around and talked . It was actually 'fun'. I will go back to see him if i need to. And those of you that are sceptic to travel, well all i can say is it was worth the trip. Even though i had to pay for everything myself. The first day i had no pain at all. the second day i only had a little pain. Today i am back to work. I am a little sore. I am hopefull that this will help me. I will be very thankfull if i get some releaf from this. I have wanted this procedure done for the last year.

BrianJ on 3/26/02 at 16:26 (077631)

Rich --

Sorry to hear about the recent aggravation of your heel pain. Many doctors believe that PF is caused -- at least sometimes -- by small tears in the fascia, or by the fascia tearing the covering (periosteum) away from the heel bone. Thus, 'tears' and PF are not mutually exclusive. Some of these tears may show up on an MRI, but many will not. Though I am not a doctor, I would stongly suggest you stay off the foot as much as possible and see a good doctor promptly. Your best chance of healing is now, when this injury is still in the acute phase.

Best of luck, and let us know how you progress.

john h on 3/27/02 at 08:24 (077707)

Rich: One of my Doctors who is a Foot and Ankle Surgeon (MD) had very bad PF. She was participating in some athletic event and completely tore the fascia loose from her heel. She said it cured her PF. What will happen down the road for her is an unknown. I have talke to a number of NBA basketball players including Corliss Williamson and Scotty Pipping. PF is more common in the NBA than most people realize. PLayers tend to hide this from their coaches because of big salaries,etc. Many players wear orthotics as a prevenative measure. Some have gone to Canada for ESWT treatments. My doctor who tore her fascia alse described a loud pop. Some years ago I was playing basketall and heard a pop and felt a slight twinge in the back of my calf. I thouhgt a stray ball from the handball court had hit my calf. I continued to play but within one hour I was in excruating pain. I had torn a calf muscle. It took several months to heal and I had trouble walking. I have no idea what happens when you have a partial tear of the fascia. One of the docs will probably tell you. I have read of several NFL players tearing their fascia the past couple of years and the articles always say they will be out for 6 or more weeks. I really find that hard to beleive as a fascia release typically takes a year for it to completely heal. I will be interested to hear what your MRI shows and how they treat it.

dave on 3/27/02 at 08:47 (077713)

I believe that my fascia completely tore off resulting from two cortizone shots that i had. When it tore i went right to the ground. That took over a year to heal up. I still have plantar fasciitis four years later.

dave on 3/27/02 at 12:22 (077734)

I am not sure that it tore completely away. But i am sure that when it was healing i could actually feel it reattaching itself over a longtime. It was very unnerving. My original pf started at the insertion point. thats when i had the cortizone shots. Since then, my pain seems to come from a spot alot further back. Back when i thought the fascia tore my heels where so soar i couldnt even walk to feet. I crawled around the house for months. I had to quit the job that i loved. Now i have a desk job with a much lower pay. At least now (four years later) i am able to come to work and sit down. I am also finally able to feed my dogs and do the dishes without severe pain. My condition has improved over the years to the point that i do have a quality of life again. I will be having the eswt treatmet on friday by doctor z. I am flying out of Milwaukee. I am hopeful that i will have some improvement. It would be worth it then . My insurance wont cover the procedure at all so i am going to tap into my savings for this .

John h on 3/27/02 at 18:06 (077761)

Best of luck Dave. You will enjoy your visit to Dr. Z's. I am anxious to hear how it all goes and follow your recovery. I spent much of my youth not to far from Milwaukee on the North Shore in Lake Forest and Highland Park.

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/28/02 at 20:16 (077902)

A torn plantar fascia can often act like a surgical plantar fascial release---painful initially but actually leads to resolution of the problem.
Ed

john h on 3/29/02 at 10:57 (077966)

Dr. Ed: what sort of treatment do you do for a torn fasica or one that has completely torn free. I see this sometimes with football players. Also Dr. Ed in your experience what would you say your success rate for surgery (Pf Release) has been? About what percentage would you say were worse after surgery than before. I have talked to a number of doctors who have done a lot of Pf releases and the success numbers I hear range from 75%-95% with very low numbers of people who have been made worse. The few people I am personally familiar with seem to have done well.

dave on 4/01/02 at 12:09 (078165)

Wow, i grew up in Muskego. Now i live in a small town called Mayville, its near horicon marsh. You are right about seeing doctor z. He really has it together over there. Not your typical office where you are moved around like animals. the procedure itself was a piece of cake. I had a foot block and doctor z used the new machine on me. You will need a foot block let me tell ya. Even with the block there where some unnerving times. After the procedure we sat around and talked . It was actually 'fun'. I will go back to see him if i need to. And those of you that are sceptic to travel, well all i can say is it was worth the trip. Even though i had to pay for everything myself. The first day i had no pain at all. the second day i only had a little pain. Today i am back to work. I am a little sore. I am hopefull that this will help me. I will be very thankfull if i get some releaf from this. I have wanted this procedure done for the last year.