Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

An act of bravery or foolishness

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 17:22 (077641)

I just rode my recumbent bicycle 0.2 miles in 1:16 on the very lowest tension. This is not an Olympic feat but since I injured my PF riding it, I want to be extremely careful to start. To tell you the truth, this was scary! but enticing at the same time.

I put the seat forward so that my knees don't hyperextend on it any more. I wore my Birkenstocks. (I think next time I'll wear my tie-up shoes though... I think that would be safer). I turned the bike tension down to the lowest level.

It felt SO GOOD but I am trying not to ride it much more today. I'm going to do some more stretching. Maybe I might ride it a little more later tonight, but first I will stretch and then ice and then we'll see.

I have recovered from my PF so much that it seems reasonable for me to try to do this now. Next week our Weight Watchers At Work session may start up again (if we have enough people). I want to work on my ability to exercise at least a little bit while I'm doing Weight Watchers so that I will lose more consistently. As you all know, I'm the 'Queen of Rest' around here. Doesn't mean that I like it, though. (blech!)

Carole C

Re: Good luck, Carole!

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 18:16 (077650)

It sounds as if you are being sensible, Carole, and I do hope you have success with your exercise bike! Your SAS shoes probably would be safer to ride in and give you the best support, as you said.

You always seem to keep looking ahead to a new goal, and that is to be admired! Be careful, and keep up the good work.

Suzanne :-)

Re: An act of bravery or foolishness

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:55 (077655)

Good for you, Carole! I was so happy back in October, before I sprained my ankle, when I began to ride my recumbent bicycle! I know what you mean, you feel like you've just finished a marathon or something. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:09 (077668)

Thanks... I did my stretching and icing, and then rode another 0.4 miles in 1:55. This time I wore my orthotics which are in big tie-up shoes, and I could tell it was much better for my feet that way (thanks, Suzanne!). I feel like a million bucks, and I bounce when I walk (and that makes me smile happily!). I hope I feel that way tomorrow and the next day too! I never seem to feel the effects of doing the wrong thing until a day or two have passed.

Probably this is all just fine to do. I hope so. I am just nervous about the recumbent bicycle. The way I injured my PF was riding it very vigorously, barefoot and with the tension all the way up, and the seat too far back (and then I kept riding it like that for a few weeks after I got PF). I didn't know any better then but now I do.

Today I started doing Weight Watchers again and I stuck to it nicely, so with the exercise I'm feeling great. If I don't mess up my feet, I want to build up slowly and ride my exercycle every day for a few miles eventually. People always say 'why don't you do this exercise or that one' because they assume that riding a recumbent bike is boring and no fun. But I *like* to ride mine! LOL It's cool.

Carole C

Julie on 3/27/02 at 02:35 (077697)

Carole, that's great. It really does sound as though you've turned a corner and are on your way back to a full and active life. I'm glad for you, that you've got to that crucial point where you 'dare' to do something you haven't done for so long. Wonderful.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 01:10 (077927)

So far, so good. This is the third day of recumbent bicycling, and I am not feeling any bad effects (though I'm doing everything 'right' to try to be nice to my feet.) I stepped it up a notch, to 5 minutes and 1 mile.

I will try to be patient and leave it at that for a few days before I step it up to 10 minutes and 2 miles. That would earn me one Weight Watchers 'point' every day, and meets the Weight Watchers minimum exercise suggestions for me at this time.

Now that my pain is down below a 1 on a scale of 1-10, I've started increasing my exercise in daily life too. I time myself and work briskly for ten minutes each day without stopping, doing light housework such as laundry, vacuuming, doing dishes, mopping, putting things away, and so on. This does not sound like much but it is when you have been sitting for months doing little else but stretching and icing. Patience, Carole, patience.

Carole C

Re: Good luck, Carole!

Suzanne D on 3/26/02 at 18:16 (077650)

It sounds as if you are being sensible, Carole, and I do hope you have success with your exercise bike! Your SAS shoes probably would be safer to ride in and give you the best support, as you said.

You always seem to keep looking ahead to a new goal, and that is to be admired! Be careful, and keep up the good work.

Suzanne :-)

Kathy G on 3/26/02 at 18:55 (077655)

Good for you, Carole! I was so happy back in October, before I sprained my ankle, when I began to ride my recumbent bicycle! I know what you mean, you feel like you've just finished a marathon or something. Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/26/02 at 21:09 (077668)

Thanks... I did my stretching and icing, and then rode another 0.4 miles in 1:55. This time I wore my orthotics which are in big tie-up shoes, and I could tell it was much better for my feet that way (thanks, Suzanne!). I feel like a million bucks, and I bounce when I walk (and that makes me smile happily!). I hope I feel that way tomorrow and the next day too! I never seem to feel the effects of doing the wrong thing until a day or two have passed.

Probably this is all just fine to do. I hope so. I am just nervous about the recumbent bicycle. The way I injured my PF was riding it very vigorously, barefoot and with the tension all the way up, and the seat too far back (and then I kept riding it like that for a few weeks after I got PF). I didn't know any better then but now I do.

Today I started doing Weight Watchers again and I stuck to it nicely, so with the exercise I'm feeling great. If I don't mess up my feet, I want to build up slowly and ride my exercycle every day for a few miles eventually. People always say 'why don't you do this exercise or that one' because they assume that riding a recumbent bike is boring and no fun. But I *like* to ride mine! LOL It's cool.

Carole C

Julie on 3/27/02 at 02:35 (077697)

Carole, that's great. It really does sound as though you've turned a corner and are on your way back to a full and active life. I'm glad for you, that you've got to that crucial point where you 'dare' to do something you haven't done for so long. Wonderful.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 01:10 (077927)

So far, so good. This is the third day of recumbent bicycling, and I am not feeling any bad effects (though I'm doing everything 'right' to try to be nice to my feet.) I stepped it up a notch, to 5 minutes and 1 mile.

I will try to be patient and leave it at that for a few days before I step it up to 10 minutes and 2 miles. That would earn me one Weight Watchers 'point' every day, and meets the Weight Watchers minimum exercise suggestions for me at this time.

Now that my pain is down below a 1 on a scale of 1-10, I've started increasing my exercise in daily life too. I time myself and work briskly for ten minutes each day without stopping, doing light housework such as laundry, vacuuming, doing dishes, mopping, putting things away, and so on. This does not sound like much but it is when you have been sitting for months doing little else but stretching and icing. Patience, Carole, patience.

Carole C