Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Recovery from surgery

Posted by ty j on 3/26/02 at 17:58 (077647)

Its been six months since my surgery for my heel spur. I still am having alot of pain and soreness. Is this normal??? It hurts so bad sometimes i cant walk on it, Ive tried soaking it and iceing it, What should I do. Im not getting much out of my doctor.

Re: Recovery from surgery

BrianG on 3/26/02 at 22:52 (077676)

Hi Ty,

Do you remember which type of surgery you had, it will probably make a difference. Taping is one of only two things will will help my own heels, have you tried it yet? You can find the instructions in Scott's book. Most of us seem to be using the two strip method for normal activities. Good luck

BrianG

ty j on 3/27/02 at 08:50 (077714)

I had the spur removed with an incesion in the side of my foot. I have tried taping. But i think that i shouldnt be having the pain im having after six months. Its almost as bad now as it was before my surgery.

Sharon W on 3/27/02 at 09:38 (077717)

Ty,

I wonder if it would help to see another Dr., since you say you aren't getting much out of the current one? Maybe someone else would have new ideas, or at least order some new tests to help explain what's going on.

-- Sharon

John S on 3/28/02 at 16:29 (077862)

ty

I had the same surgery that you had. I was a distance runner and eventually I required surgery on my foot. They did the same procedure. They made an incision on the side of my foot and did a release and removed the spur. It took a year before I could run on my foot. I couldn't believe how long it took before it healed. I was so happy to be running again until I then acquired tibal tendonitis. I think as a result of the surgery. Only after another year and orthotics did I resume running. Not a 100% cured even then. But workable.

JudyS on 3/29/02 at 10:37 (077957)

Wow, what fun it is being a 'wife' on the boards these days. The real reason John S got TTS was because he hit the stairmaster heavily a few months after PF surgery - put it at it's highest level and went at it for an hour from day one. He didn't get TTS as a result of surgery. He started telling me he had this whole new soreness in his foot about a month after he started the stairclimber so I asked him if he thought it could be from his 'attack' on the stairclimber. Oh No, he said, it couldn't possibly be......and he kept at it. His foot got more and more sore, he was diagnosed with TTS, and orthotics took care of the problem. What a guy. Clearly he's not gonna be able to hide here on Heelspurs.com!

ty j on 3/29/02 at 10:48 (077960)

Well I went to the doctor this week and he told me i have tts and i havent done any extra exercise. Im convinced that the surgury caused the tts.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 14:00 (077984)

LOL! Judy, some of us suspected it was that he started running again (too much and too soon). It's so tempting to overdo. But then how would I know what he did? I said nothing. But, I'm not surprised it was the stairmaster.

You'd better watch it though! We'd hate to cause any disputes between you two. :)

Carole C

Eleanor B. on 3/30/02 at 12:02 (078044)

I had bunion surgery ten monthes ago, but my feet kept swelling after a lot of walking etc. Cortisone injections helped for a while but I still need them. How long before they go back to normal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/02 at 12:36 (078047)

Are your bones healed yet. Do you any problems with your viens.Did you have surgery on both feet.?

ty j on 3/30/02 at 14:02 (078058)

I think my bones are healed, sometimes it feel like im stepping on something. I have numbness in my feet and toes and sometimes at night i get cramps in my arch. I only had the left foot done. I have soreness in the ankle area of my foot. It hurts when i push on it with my fingers.

BrianG on 3/26/02 at 22:52 (077676)

Hi Ty,

Do you remember which type of surgery you had, it will probably make a difference. Taping is one of only two things will will help my own heels, have you tried it yet? You can find the instructions in Scott's book. Most of us seem to be using the two strip method for normal activities. Good luck

BrianG

ty j on 3/27/02 at 08:50 (077714)

I had the spur removed with an incesion in the side of my foot. I have tried taping. But i think that i shouldnt be having the pain im having after six months. Its almost as bad now as it was before my surgery.

Sharon W on 3/27/02 at 09:38 (077717)

Ty,

I wonder if it would help to see another Dr., since you say you aren't getting much out of the current one? Maybe someone else would have new ideas, or at least order some new tests to help explain what's going on.

-- Sharon

John S on 3/28/02 at 16:29 (077862)

ty

I had the same surgery that you had. I was a distance runner and eventually I required surgery on my foot. They did the same procedure. They made an incision on the side of my foot and did a release and removed the spur. It took a year before I could run on my foot. I couldn't believe how long it took before it healed. I was so happy to be running again until I then acquired tibal tendonitis. I think as a result of the surgery. Only after another year and orthotics did I resume running. Not a 100% cured even then. But workable.

JudyS on 3/29/02 at 10:37 (077957)

Wow, what fun it is being a 'wife' on the boards these days. The real reason John S got TTS was because he hit the stairmaster heavily a few months after PF surgery - put it at it's highest level and went at it for an hour from day one. He didn't get TTS as a result of surgery. He started telling me he had this whole new soreness in his foot about a month after he started the stairclimber so I asked him if he thought it could be from his 'attack' on the stairclimber. Oh No, he said, it couldn't possibly be......and he kept at it. His foot got more and more sore, he was diagnosed with TTS, and orthotics took care of the problem. What a guy. Clearly he's not gonna be able to hide here on Heelspurs.com!

ty j on 3/29/02 at 10:48 (077960)

Well I went to the doctor this week and he told me i have tts and i havent done any extra exercise. Im convinced that the surgury caused the tts.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 14:00 (077984)

LOL! Judy, some of us suspected it was that he started running again (too much and too soon). It's so tempting to overdo. But then how would I know what he did? I said nothing. But, I'm not surprised it was the stairmaster.

You'd better watch it though! We'd hate to cause any disputes between you two. :)

Carole C

Eleanor B. on 3/30/02 at 12:02 (078044)

I had bunion surgery ten monthes ago, but my feet kept swelling after a lot of walking etc. Cortisone injections helped for a while but I still need them. How long before they go back to normal?

Dr. Zuckerman on 3/30/02 at 12:36 (078047)

Are your bones healed yet. Do you any problems with your viens.Did you have surgery on both feet.?

ty j on 3/30/02 at 14:02 (078058)

I think my bones are healed, sometimes it feel like im stepping on something. I have numbness in my feet and toes and sometimes at night i get cramps in my arch. I only had the left foot done. I have soreness in the ankle area of my foot. It hurts when i push on it with my fingers.