Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by jeremy p on 3/26/02 at 19:04 (077656)

I was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis two years ago and had twice weekly visits to a physical therapist. The problem has never gone away and recently it started to get worse again. My podiatrist says I also have a heel spur now. I have the problem in both feet and my pain is mainly where the plantar attaches to the heel. I have been fitted with orthodics and just finished my 11th visit to the therapist. This problem does not seem to be going away. I am 39 years old and in good shape. Do you recommend surgery when all else fails? I am currently not running, but am scheduled to run a marathon next January.

Re: Surgery

ty j on 3/26/02 at 19:20 (077659)

Ive been recovering from my surgery since sept and i would never recomend it to anyone. Im still having pain every day. If i had it to do all over again i would have just lived with the pain. This is worse.

Julie on 3/27/02 at 02:12 (077694)

Jeremy, it sounds as though you have 'classic' plantar fasciitis, in which the pain is clearly identifiable as being at the insertion point. ESWT has had excellent results, and as you have had PF for two years I would say from what you've told us that you're a good candidate for it. Please read the section on ESWT for information. It is non-invasive, and should always be considered before surgery, if your insurance will pay for it or if you can afford it.

The heel spur, by the way, is rarely the cause of pain, but is actually the body's response to the inflammation of the fascia: it lays down little deposits of bone in an attempt to heal. Sounds very much as though that is what has happened in your feet.

Necee on 7/22/02 at 13:25 (090353)

I usually just read here and post mainly on the social and support site, but I just have to say this......all too often I read where time after time people have had surgery on their feet with less than positive results.
I would never have foot surgery because of this. My Dr wanted to do surgery, but I have refused. I even got second opinions from 2 different Drs, both of which specialize in the foot, and both advised against surgery. Their theory is.....once you have surgery on your feet they are changed forever. The facia is weakened, sometimes the arch drops, etc...etc. There are problems with scar tissue, the list goes on and on.
I do understand that under some circumstances surgery can't be avoided, but....I just wish there was a more conservative approach.
My question is this.....actually its more of a survey, how many of you have had a successful surgery, and how many not so successful, I'm curious to see the percentage.

I don't mean to be critical at all in my remarks.....I'm just stating my opinion and would appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks and happy trails....

Necee

BrianJ on 7/22/02 at 14:29 (090361)

Had endoscopic plantar fasciotomy on left foot about two years ago. Foot is no better and no worse today.

Maggie L. on 7/22/02 at 15:15 (090363)

I had open partial fascia release surgery on June 7th of this year, and so far so good. Probably too soon to be completely certain, but I think this surgery was a success. I have just sheduled the surgery on my other foot for September 6th.

Rick R on 7/22/02 at 17:18 (090370)

Necee,

I had what I consider very successful surgery, open PF release and spur removal. I strongly believe that if I hadn't learned how to adapt to my condition before surgery I would have been sorely (pardon the pun) disappointed in the results. I took the approach that the best surgery could do was give me a fresh start at dealing with the same physical form that developed PF to begin with. It's one thing to wish to be good as new and another thing to expect to be better than new. Perhaps unrealistic expectations are the source of dissatisfaction on the part of some patients.

I suffered for about 13 years prior to surgery, so I didn't exactly jump at the first guy with a sheepskin and a sharp object. I do think that the prospects for surgery may not be as bleak as you currently feel. But then again my statistical sample size is 1. There is a stark realization that I believe one must come to prior to surgery; the overwhelming probability is that you will never be in the kind of shape that you were before the onset of injury. I believe that had I been pointed in the right direction in the begining, my recovery could have been better never needing surgery.

Best of Luck,

Rick

Barbara S on 7/22/02 at 19:39 (090380)

HI, Had Endoscopic PF on Nov 22,2001 on right foot,got considerable worse.
Test positive for TTS in Feb.2002. Could barely walk, had TTS Release on April, coming along slowly, still have alot of swelling, acheness, tightness, and zingers. I was told 50/50 and would take up to a year to really tell if surgery worked. I had MRI done on Sat July 20,2002 to compare with MRI done in Jan. Trying to find out why so much swelling. But I have Fibromyalgia also. Barbara S.

Missy B on 7/23/02 at 23:01 (090472)

Hi Necee,
I am the trail-riding fool who had PF/TT surgery this past January and I am once again enjoying 'happy trails'.

I opted for my surgery because all the conservative methods my Pod tried did not give me any relief. I am now 6+ months post-op and consider myself at least 85-90% improved. Once I become accustomed to my new orthotics, I hope to boost this to 90-95%. I don't believe that I will ever be the physically active person I was 5 or 6 years ago, but I have changed my priorities and my lifestyle a little to accomodate my current limitations and to help prevent the occurrence of PF or TT in my other foot.

The decision to have surgery is certainly a personal one that each individual must make for his/herself, but it should be considered only after all other treatments available have failed.

Missy B.

Tonya on 7/24/02 at 09:25 (090489)

I had a right foot open pf release May 9,2002 and at this point in time i feel that it has been a success. I have had some post-op pain, but none that caused much concern, or was felt out of the ordinary. The only complaint that I really had was that I started to have pain mid-arch and my ankle felt weak. I went to see my podiatrist on June 23 and he put me in some full length spenco orthotics and they seem to have done the job. He was also very pleased with the rate at which I had healed. My incision can hardly be seen, and has minimal toughness to it. (I attribute that to daily massaging cocoa butter with aloe, and pure Vitamin E to the area) Before surgery, I was lucky to tolerate 30 min on my feet. Now I can stand much, much, longer. I also have pf in my left foot, and am hoping that over the coming weeks it will have a reduction of inflammation since my right one is now getting better. If not, I am fully comfortable with having the procedure also done on my left. I'm a while away from making that decision. I want (as does my pod) to be at least 90% better with my right. At this point of time I feel that I am a good 70% better than I was before surgery. Tonya

trish e on 7/24/02 at 14:15 (090501)

hello I wish I had gotton a second oppion my tts/open fashia was done 2/26/02 and my foot is in more pain than before in the process of lossing the job I love but know I can't stand and run the hospital the way I use to, on 1800mg of neurotrin with no results ,foot swells being on it.had to buy the orthoidics can't wear them they are to hard.sorry to be so negitive but I could have continued at my job,in pain, and made $ now iam crippled up and can't work so get a second oppion if you value your feet and life.My primary dr said the same thing he'd wished I had never had it done.I had emg done and it said I had an L-5 problem with my spine as far as the foot the dr said couldn't get a good picture to mush scar tissu.Go tonight for a mri of my lower back,go to therapy in which i pay,this was a bad decision on my part.

Chris on 7/25/02 at 08:53 (090554)

Had pf and tts surgery Nov '00. Completely pain free and once again enjoying life. I'm not really sure why I had the results that I did, but I am extremely grateful!

SonnyK on 7/25/02 at 17:43 (090601)

I had TT release surgery last August. I have an ugly 5 inch scar...and I am starting to feel the 'old pain' all over again. The tingling , the shooting pains, the sensitivity - can't bear it when the sheets brush over my ankle. The good thing is that I have changed jobs since the surgery and I can rest more now when I need to. I have flat feet and that is causing over pronation - pressure on the nerve. I have custom orthodics - they help SOMEWHAT. I hope I am not being too negative. I had the surgery knowing that the success rate is low but I was willing to try anything.

ty j on 3/26/02 at 19:20 (077659)

Ive been recovering from my surgery since sept and i would never recomend it to anyone. Im still having pain every day. If i had it to do all over again i would have just lived with the pain. This is worse.

Julie on 3/27/02 at 02:12 (077694)

Jeremy, it sounds as though you have 'classic' plantar fasciitis, in which the pain is clearly identifiable as being at the insertion point. ESWT has had excellent results, and as you have had PF for two years I would say from what you've told us that you're a good candidate for it. Please read the section on ESWT for information. It is non-invasive, and should always be considered before surgery, if your insurance will pay for it or if you can afford it.

The heel spur, by the way, is rarely the cause of pain, but is actually the body's response to the inflammation of the fascia: it lays down little deposits of bone in an attempt to heal. Sounds very much as though that is what has happened in your feet.

Necee on 7/22/02 at 13:25 (090353)

I usually just read here and post mainly on the social and support site, but I just have to say this......all too often I read where time after time people have had surgery on their feet with less than positive results.
I would never have foot surgery because of this. My Dr wanted to do surgery, but I have refused. I even got second opinions from 2 different Drs, both of which specialize in the foot, and both advised against surgery. Their theory is.....once you have surgery on your feet they are changed forever. The facia is weakened, sometimes the arch drops, etc...etc. There are problems with scar tissue, the list goes on and on.
I do understand that under some circumstances surgery can't be avoided, but....I just wish there was a more conservative approach.
My question is this.....actually its more of a survey, how many of you have had a successful surgery, and how many not so successful, I'm curious to see the percentage.

I don't mean to be critical at all in my remarks.....I'm just stating my opinion and would appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks and happy trails....

Necee

BrianJ on 7/22/02 at 14:29 (090361)

Had endoscopic plantar fasciotomy on left foot about two years ago. Foot is no better and no worse today.

Maggie L. on 7/22/02 at 15:15 (090363)

I had open partial fascia release surgery on June 7th of this year, and so far so good. Probably too soon to be completely certain, but I think this surgery was a success. I have just sheduled the surgery on my other foot for September 6th.

Rick R on 7/22/02 at 17:18 (090370)

Necee,

I had what I consider very successful surgery, open PF release and spur removal. I strongly believe that if I hadn't learned how to adapt to my condition before surgery I would have been sorely (pardon the pun) disappointed in the results. I took the approach that the best surgery could do was give me a fresh start at dealing with the same physical form that developed PF to begin with. It's one thing to wish to be good as new and another thing to expect to be better than new. Perhaps unrealistic expectations are the source of dissatisfaction on the part of some patients.

I suffered for about 13 years prior to surgery, so I didn't exactly jump at the first guy with a sheepskin and a sharp object. I do think that the prospects for surgery may not be as bleak as you currently feel. But then again my statistical sample size is 1. There is a stark realization that I believe one must come to prior to surgery; the overwhelming probability is that you will never be in the kind of shape that you were before the onset of injury. I believe that had I been pointed in the right direction in the begining, my recovery could have been better never needing surgery.

Best of Luck,

Rick

Barbara S on 7/22/02 at 19:39 (090380)

HI, Had Endoscopic PF on Nov 22,2001 on right foot,got considerable worse.
Test positive for TTS in Feb.2002. Could barely walk, had TTS Release on April, coming along slowly, still have alot of swelling, acheness, tightness, and zingers. I was told 50/50 and would take up to a year to really tell if surgery worked. I had MRI done on Sat July 20,2002 to compare with MRI done in Jan. Trying to find out why so much swelling. But I have Fibromyalgia also. Barbara S.

Missy B on 7/23/02 at 23:01 (090472)

Hi Necee,
I am the trail-riding fool who had PF/TT surgery this past January and I am once again enjoying 'happy trails'.

I opted for my surgery because all the conservative methods my Pod tried did not give me any relief. I am now 6+ months post-op and consider myself at least 85-90% improved. Once I become accustomed to my new orthotics, I hope to boost this to 90-95%. I don't believe that I will ever be the physically active person I was 5 or 6 years ago, but I have changed my priorities and my lifestyle a little to accomodate my current limitations and to help prevent the occurrence of PF or TT in my other foot.

The decision to have surgery is certainly a personal one that each individual must make for his/herself, but it should be considered only after all other treatments available have failed.

Missy B.

Tonya on 7/24/02 at 09:25 (090489)

I had a right foot open pf release May 9,2002 and at this point in time i feel that it has been a success. I have had some post-op pain, but none that caused much concern, or was felt out of the ordinary. The only complaint that I really had was that I started to have pain mid-arch and my ankle felt weak. I went to see my podiatrist on June 23 and he put me in some full length spenco orthotics and they seem to have done the job. He was also very pleased with the rate at which I had healed. My incision can hardly be seen, and has minimal toughness to it. (I attribute that to daily massaging cocoa butter with aloe, and pure Vitamin E to the area) Before surgery, I was lucky to tolerate 30 min on my feet. Now I can stand much, much, longer. I also have pf in my left foot, and am hoping that over the coming weeks it will have a reduction of inflammation since my right one is now getting better. If not, I am fully comfortable with having the procedure also done on my left. I'm a while away from making that decision. I want (as does my pod) to be at least 90% better with my right. At this point of time I feel that I am a good 70% better than I was before surgery. Tonya

trish e on 7/24/02 at 14:15 (090501)

hello I wish I had gotton a second oppion my tts/open fashia was done 2/26/02 and my foot is in more pain than before in the process of lossing the job I love but know I can't stand and run the hospital the way I use to, on 1800mg of neurotrin with no results ,foot swells being on it.had to buy the orthoidics can't wear them they are to hard.sorry to be so negitive but I could have continued at my job,in pain, and made $ now iam crippled up and can't work so get a second oppion if you value your feet and life.My primary dr said the same thing he'd wished I had never had it done.I had emg done and it said I had an L-5 problem with my spine as far as the foot the dr said couldn't get a good picture to mush scar tissu.Go tonight for a mri of my lower back,go to therapy in which i pay,this was a bad decision on my part.

Chris on 7/25/02 at 08:53 (090554)

Had pf and tts surgery Nov '00. Completely pain free and once again enjoying life. I'm not really sure why I had the results that I did, but I am extremely grateful!

SonnyK on 7/25/02 at 17:43 (090601)

I had TT release surgery last August. I have an ugly 5 inch scar...and I am starting to feel the 'old pain' all over again. The tingling , the shooting pains, the sensitivity - can't bear it when the sheets brush over my ankle. The good thing is that I have changed jobs since the surgery and I can rest more now when I need to. I have flat feet and that is causing over pronation - pressure on the nerve. I have custom orthodics - they help SOMEWHAT. I hope I am not being too negative. I had the surgery knowing that the success rate is low but I was willing to try anything.