Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Don't feel like I'm falling apart this week

Posted by CatherineL on 3/27/02 at 16:44 (077758)

Hi all,

This week has been much better. Went to our comedy festival on the weekend and it was hilarious... haven't laughed so hard in a long time... thought I was gonna hyperventilate. So it was a great weekend.

I'd like to thank everyone for the support last week.. I don't often have a melt-down, but it was an exceptional week...

My ankle sprain is almost 100%, my throat is much better, the flexril has helped my migraines tremendously... I haven't had a migraine since last week - a first in my record book!

Went back to the sports/injury dr. and he told me to stay off the tetracycline meds, and since my PF is doing much better (finally), and hadn't gotten worse on stopping the doxycyline, he suggested we wait it out. If it gets worse, to call for an appt. and leave a msg for him to send a prescription for local anestetic to apply to my sore spot 45 min before the appt so he can give me a cortisone shot... he has also looked into how to give the shot with reducing the pain... my first shot almost a year ago, made me hit the roof! He's been a pretty good dr. overall. very compasionate and helpful.

Wishing everyone better feetsie days too!
Catherine

Re: That's good to hear, Catherine! (eom)

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 19:59 (077789)

Re: Don't feel like I'm falling apart this week

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 20:11 (077790)

Catherine, I'm so glad you are feeling better! PF is bad enough without having the migraines, sore throat, and all the rest. As my mom (and Morton Salt) used to say, 'When it rains, it pours!' It sounds like the sun is coming out in your life now, though. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/28/02 at 14:36 (077847)

Catherine,

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I had a killer migraine yesterday and thought of you. I usually get them just once or month but I've had two this week. I can't imagine a steady diet of migraines and PF!

Glad you got a good laugh at the Comedy club. Have a nice weekend!

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 15:30 (077854)

Hi Catherine,

Glad your feeling a lot better. Now you have me wondering about the local anesthetic you might be able to get from your doctor. Do you happen to know what it's called? I've had my share of foot shots (cortisone and prolotherapy), all hurt like hell! I do have a tube of 5% Lidocaine ointment, it is prescription strength. I never tried it before a shot, I wonder if it would work???

I did try rubbing it into my heels for a couple months, didn't help at all :*(

BrianG

Re: local anesthetic

Rich on 3/28/02 at 16:46 (077864)

Just wanted to share with you that my POD uses a freezing spray prior to administering the shot. Literally freezes the heal, you barely (?) feel the needle going in or wiggling around. The downside is as your heel thaws out, it feels like pin pricks!

CatherineL on 4/01/02 at 16:13 (078198)

The prescription is a local anestetic, I can't remember what it was called, but not something I've ever heard of before like cortisone, or anything.

It's to be applied 45 mnutes before the injection... not sure I'd like the prickly feeling when it wears off though, but the first shot was sooo painful, it's worth almost anything bot to go through that again!

catherine

Richard, C.Ped on 4/02/02 at 09:56 (078250)

When I worked with a home infusion company, we used Emla cream to numb the surface area before placing a peripheral IV cathether such as a PICC line or a Jelco. I think the Emla was made up of Lidocaine 2.5% and Prilocaine 2.5%. I read an article one time that an Australian group did a study which left the Emla on the skin for about four hours prior to an incision. The Emla worked up to 6mm deep. Less time was tested, such as 45 minutes to and hour. I think it worked up to 2mm deep.

Richard, C.Ped

Re: Thanks - anesthetics

BrianG on 4/02/02 at 18:08 (078289)

Thanks for the anesthetic feedback. I'd like to see something used for all of us, especially for cortisone and blocks. Dam*, they can hurt!

BrianG

Re: That's good to hear, Catherine! (eom)

Suzanne D on 3/27/02 at 19:59 (077789)

Carole C in NOLA on 3/27/02 at 20:11 (077790)

Catherine, I'm so glad you are feeling better! PF is bad enough without having the migraines, sore throat, and all the rest. As my mom (and Morton Salt) used to say, 'When it rains, it pours!' It sounds like the sun is coming out in your life now, though. :)

Carole C

Kathy G on 3/28/02 at 14:36 (077847)

Catherine,

I'm so glad you're feeling better! I had a killer migraine yesterday and thought of you. I usually get them just once or month but I've had two this week. I can't imagine a steady diet of migraines and PF!

Glad you got a good laugh at the Comedy club. Have a nice weekend!

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 15:30 (077854)

Hi Catherine,

Glad your feeling a lot better. Now you have me wondering about the local anesthetic you might be able to get from your doctor. Do you happen to know what it's called? I've had my share of foot shots (cortisone and prolotherapy), all hurt like hell! I do have a tube of 5% Lidocaine ointment, it is prescription strength. I never tried it before a shot, I wonder if it would work???

I did try rubbing it into my heels for a couple months, didn't help at all :*(

BrianG

Rich on 3/28/02 at 16:46 (077864)

Just wanted to share with you that my POD uses a freezing spray prior to administering the shot. Literally freezes the heal, you barely (?) feel the needle going in or wiggling around. The downside is as your heel thaws out, it feels like pin pricks!

CatherineL on 4/01/02 at 16:13 (078198)

The prescription is a local anestetic, I can't remember what it was called, but not something I've ever heard of before like cortisone, or anything.

It's to be applied 45 mnutes before the injection... not sure I'd like the prickly feeling when it wears off though, but the first shot was sooo painful, it's worth almost anything bot to go through that again!

catherine

Richard, C.Ped on 4/02/02 at 09:56 (078250)

When I worked with a home infusion company, we used Emla cream to numb the surface area before placing a peripheral IV cathether such as a PICC line or a Jelco. I think the Emla was made up of Lidocaine 2.5% and Prilocaine 2.5%. I read an article one time that an Australian group did a study which left the Emla on the skin for about four hours prior to an incision. The Emla worked up to 6mm deep. Less time was tested, such as 45 minutes to and hour. I think it worked up to 2mm deep.

Richard, C.Ped

Re: Thanks - anesthetics

BrianG on 4/02/02 at 18:08 (078289)

Thanks for the anesthetic feedback. I'd like to see something used for all of us, especially for cortisone and blocks. Dam*, they can hurt!

BrianG