Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just Learned There Are Two Types of TTS; Could This

Posted by Mike S. on 3/27/02 at 19:41 (077786)

be the reason my whole foot is numb? Posterior TTS is the most common form. Anterior TTS is entrapment of the deep peroneal nerve. Could the anterior type cause numbness on the top of my feet and up to my calf?

Re: Just Learned There Are Two Types of TTS; Could This

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/29/02 at 18:43 (078000)

Tarsal tunnel syndrome generally refers to entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve. Entrapment of the deep peroneal nerve is less common and has been termed 'anterior tarsal tunnel syndrome' but that is not common usage. Ankle trauma and ankle surgery can be causes of peroneal nerve entrapment syndromes. The branches of the superficial peroneal nerve are responsible for much of the cutaneous sensation to the top of the foot. The breanches of the deep peroneal nerve provide sensation to the skin in between the first and second toes. Peroneal nerve entrapment could cause the type of symptoms you are describing.
Ed

Mike S. on 3/30/02 at 14:22 (078062)

Is peroneal nerve entrapment operable? Long ago it felt like I was developing a neuroma between my first & second toes followed by intense pain in my big toe.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/04/02 at 20:36 (078534)

Yes, it is operable.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/29/02 at 18:43 (078000)

Tarsal tunnel syndrome generally refers to entrapment of the posterior tibial nerve. Entrapment of the deep peroneal nerve is less common and has been termed 'anterior tarsal tunnel syndrome' but that is not common usage. Ankle trauma and ankle surgery can be causes of peroneal nerve entrapment syndromes. The branches of the superficial peroneal nerve are responsible for much of the cutaneous sensation to the top of the foot. The breanches of the deep peroneal nerve provide sensation to the skin in between the first and second toes. Peroneal nerve entrapment could cause the type of symptoms you are describing.
Ed

Mike S. on 3/30/02 at 14:22 (078062)

Is peroneal nerve entrapment operable? Long ago it felt like I was developing a neuroma between my first & second toes followed by intense pain in my big toe.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/04/02 at 20:36 (078534)

Yes, it is operable.
Ed