Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

navicular bone

Posted by John on 3/27/02 at 20:18 (077791)

hello my pain feels like its a sore bone my first doctor told me it was a broken bone and he would take it out durring the oppration i was awake and it took 2 doctors to break the bone out it was not broken piece he then told me it was a extra bone and it was my problem 2 weeks went by i was on the couch when i was still in cast i felt the pain come back i knew it didnt solve my problem. i went to another doctor where he opperated on me again i wanted to be awake i could not feel my nee down but when he hit the spot that was bothering me i told him bingo there it is i could feel it he then nodded to another doctor who put me under right away i was not happy he acted like nothing happend and contiuned doing whatever he had planed on duing with out stopping and investigating
3 weeks latter on couch again in cast and i felt pain return its a apin that wakes me up from a sleep and if touched i start to sweat and see stars ive had it now for nearly 5 yrs the same 2nd doctor now wants to fuse my foot to one solid piece and im worried that wont solve it and that i would be worse off i went and seen another doctor and he wants to send me to rehabilation center i dont know if its nerve damage but it certainly feels like bone i know i now have arthritis from the first doctor and the second doctor says it like a 80yr old man im only 29 yrs old but the new doctor is now going to do some tests on me besides the millions of xrays i have taken i tryed acupunture orthotics pls reply to me thx in advance!!!

Re: navicular bone

Natalie R. on 3/28/02 at 09:11 (077827)

Hi. I'm not a foot doctor, so I can't really help. But, what is happening to you sounds very much like the diagnosis I just got. I was just curious how your pain presented etc. I had a sore foot from running throughout the summer, but I just attributed it to the fact that I needed new running shoes. It was sore on the bone that protrudes out on the inside of the foot.

I went to a sports doc. He thought it was pain from flat feet. But an x-ray showed that my navicular bone was in half. My doc thought it was from a fracture that never healed. The other doc in the office thought it was an extra bone. Either way, they said the treatment was the same because the problem now is the extra piece of bone is rubbing against my tendon.

Treatment was to put me in an air cast and start me on a course of physical therapy. I can't run for two weeks, but I can bike (though biking seems to aggrevate it). I see the doc again on Tuesday. I'm not sure if they have plans to do a bone scan to get a better idea of what's going on. The immobilization and pt don't seem to have helped much so far, but it has only been two weeks. And I have been biking--I was cleared to do so by pt but it does seem to be aggrevating it.

Anyhow, you are the first person I've heard of who seems to have similar problems. I hope you get an answer from the doctor that helps. In the meantime, I'd be interested to hear when your foot started hurting and if it was from sports or not. Did you try conservative therapy first or did they just perform surgery right away? Reading this site makes me very concerned that I'm just going to have foot problems forever now that this is aggrevated. And I am only 26 and very active, so that is unacceptable to me. I know how you feel!!

John on 4/10/02 at 19:37 (079135)

well i went to the doctor again today he prescribed me vioxx
the pain in my foot has not got any better i go see my 2nd doctor in a few more days then i hope to start the pain rehab and hope to hear good news from my catscan i did. ill post update

Amy Y on 4/11/02 at 14:16 (079292)

I have just been diagnosed with this accessory navicular bone also, Should I consider surgery and what should I expect afterwards? How much pain and how long were you in the cast? Thanks.

Amy Y on 4/15/02 at 11:03 (079699)

John , I am interested in talking to you about your surgery to remove the accessory navicular, I am scheduled for this surgery in May. Thanks.

John on 4/30/02 at 11:16 (081767)

hello i had 2 surgery and i got a new doctor from toronto he said to me that its still in the books to remove it but they are told its not the best option it may not help and it may cause more problems like in my case. he gave me 5 or so injections of steriods and let me tell you although its only been 5 days it took away the pain a great amount i would like to ask one of the doctors how many shots can you get i heard only 3 is it 3 per yr? or whats the amount but he had like 7 or 8 rdy but 5 he stopped my navicular was never broken like i was told my pain was overwhelming i lived with it for almost 5 yrs and now its still there but i can handle it it was bad enough that if i touched it when it was bad i would see stars and black so i know what you may be feeling mine felt like a bone pain but it might be a broken nerve im going to a pain clinc its more serious operation than i could ever think after all its your feet but i did surgery cause i couldent bare the pain email me
(email removed)

Natalie R. on 3/28/02 at 09:11 (077827)

Hi. I'm not a foot doctor, so I can't really help. But, what is happening to you sounds very much like the diagnosis I just got. I was just curious how your pain presented etc. I had a sore foot from running throughout the summer, but I just attributed it to the fact that I needed new running shoes. It was sore on the bone that protrudes out on the inside of the foot.

I went to a sports doc. He thought it was pain from flat feet. But an x-ray showed that my navicular bone was in half. My doc thought it was from a fracture that never healed. The other doc in the office thought it was an extra bone. Either way, they said the treatment was the same because the problem now is the extra piece of bone is rubbing against my tendon.

Treatment was to put me in an air cast and start me on a course of physical therapy. I can't run for two weeks, but I can bike (though biking seems to aggrevate it). I see the doc again on Tuesday. I'm not sure if they have plans to do a bone scan to get a better idea of what's going on. The immobilization and pt don't seem to have helped much so far, but it has only been two weeks. And I have been biking--I was cleared to do so by pt but it does seem to be aggrevating it.

Anyhow, you are the first person I've heard of who seems to have similar problems. I hope you get an answer from the doctor that helps. In the meantime, I'd be interested to hear when your foot started hurting and if it was from sports or not. Did you try conservative therapy first or did they just perform surgery right away? Reading this site makes me very concerned that I'm just going to have foot problems forever now that this is aggrevated. And I am only 26 and very active, so that is unacceptable to me. I know how you feel!!

John on 4/10/02 at 19:37 (079135)

well i went to the doctor again today he prescribed me vioxx
the pain in my foot has not got any better i go see my 2nd doctor in a few more days then i hope to start the pain rehab and hope to hear good news from my catscan i did. ill post update

Amy Y on 4/11/02 at 14:16 (079292)

I have just been diagnosed with this accessory navicular bone also, Should I consider surgery and what should I expect afterwards? How much pain and how long were you in the cast? Thanks.

Amy Y on 4/15/02 at 11:03 (079699)

John , I am interested in talking to you about your surgery to remove the accessory navicular, I am scheduled for this surgery in May. Thanks.

John on 4/30/02 at 11:16 (081767)

hello i had 2 surgery and i got a new doctor from toronto he said to me that its still in the books to remove it but they are told its not the best option it may not help and it may cause more problems like in my case. he gave me 5 or so injections of steriods and let me tell you although its only been 5 days it took away the pain a great amount i would like to ask one of the doctors how many shots can you get i heard only 3 is it 3 per yr? or whats the amount but he had like 7 or 8 rdy but 5 he stopped my navicular was never broken like i was told my pain was overwhelming i lived with it for almost 5 yrs and now its still there but i can handle it it was bad enough that if i touched it when it was bad i would see stars and black so i know what you may be feeling mine felt like a bone pain but it might be a broken nerve im going to a pain clinc its more serious operation than i could ever think after all its your feet but i did surgery cause i couldent bare the pain email me
(email removed)