Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Casts

Posted by Joe B. on 3/28/02 at 07:47 (077819)

How comfortable/uncomfortable are foot casts?? Specifically, from the foot to below the knee. Also, are toes normally included in a foot cast??

Re: Casts

Sharon W on 3/28/02 at 08:10 (077820)

Joe,

That depends of what kind of cast it is! If your Dr. said he was thinking of putting you in a cast, he could mean anything from an old-fashioned plaster of Paris cast (which cannot be taken off and really aren't used much anymore) to one of the MUCH more comfortable walking air casts made (like my pneumatic walker, which has inflatable/deflatable air bladders inside that it compress and massage my leg as I walk and has an outward-curving, 'rocking' bottom with good tred). With the one I have, there's no need for crutches or anything like that, and I can take it off to bathe and to sleep. And yes, mine does include the toes but I'm sure there are some that don't!

-- Sharon

Joe B. on 3/28/02 at 08:27 (077821)

Actually, I think they use fiberglass instead of plaster. If I go thru with my surgery, I will have to be non-weight bearing for 4 weeks in a cast.

Sharon W on 3/28/02 at 14:32 (077846)

Oh. I was thinking you might be getting your foot immobilized to try to AVOID surgery. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

-- Sharon

Pam B on 3/28/02 at 19:46 (077897)

I have had two casts......one before surgery and one the day they did my surgery......both were fiberglass casts from my knee to my toes.......they were both walking casts and very heavy :) but either way, before or following surgery, they sure made the foot feel better during walking......also have the CAM Boot now, which is basically a nylon cast held together by velcro that can be removed by you, but does the same thing as the cast for the most part......good luck

Fred S. on 3/29/02 at 04:29 (077933)

If you are going to be in a cast, it will almost certainly be made of fiberglass, which is much lighter than plaster. Ask for a Goretex Procel Waterproof cast liner, if it is permissable after surgery. You can shower and bathe in it, and I even swam laps in mine to keep fit.

Good luck with the surgery

Joe B. on 3/29/02 at 06:16 (077935)

But how does the fiberglass cast feel on your foot?? Is the foot totally imobile inside the cast??? Does it feel tight around your foot and calf???

Pam B on 3/29/02 at 12:36 (077979)

Yes it is totally immobile.......no movement......it is tight but not so tight that it hurts........as the cast remains on, it becomes a little looser than it is at first but not alot.....or at least mine did........and when they took mine off, there was more than an inch difference in the size of my calves.......that was when they took the one off in Jan......then I had surgery in Feb and when they took that one off I was two inches smaller in my right leg.......it comes back fast though when you start using it more.......mine it still building up because I came out of the cast and went into a CAM Boot and am still using it for excessive walking......all in all the cast is a pain but it does help to alleviate the pain in the foot.......

Diane O. on 4/11/02 at 11:28 (079235)

Dear Joe
About a month ago I was put into a fibreglass cast for about 2 weeks following a cortisone injection. This was to keep my foot in plantar flexion and also to immobilize it and to keep me off my foot somewhat. I am trying to avoid surgery at all costs at this time. My foot felt fairly comfortable while in the cast (I have since had it removed) but now back to square one with the pain in my right foot. The cast was from my toes to just below my ankle. The only problem with the cast was it not being waterproof made it difficult to shower etc. After a few weeks (this may sound gross) it STUNK. I would convince them to give you a waterproof cast or look into the type that the last person Sharon W. had mentioned.
Good luck with everything, hope you get the relief that you are looking for.

Diane O. on 4/11/02 at 12:26 (079258)

Dear Sharon;
I am interested in the type of cast you have. I did find that I had a bit of relief from my fibreglass cast but showering was almost impossible. Do you know the name or type of cast and could you give me more details.
Thanks Diane O.

Sharon W on 3/28/02 at 08:10 (077820)

Joe,

That depends of what kind of cast it is! If your Dr. said he was thinking of putting you in a cast, he could mean anything from an old-fashioned plaster of Paris cast (which cannot be taken off and really aren't used much anymore) to one of the MUCH more comfortable walking air casts made (like my pneumatic walker, which has inflatable/deflatable air bladders inside that it compress and massage my leg as I walk and has an outward-curving, 'rocking' bottom with good tred). With the one I have, there's no need for crutches or anything like that, and I can take it off to bathe and to sleep. And yes, mine does include the toes but I'm sure there are some that don't!

-- Sharon

Joe B. on 3/28/02 at 08:27 (077821)

Actually, I think they use fiberglass instead of plaster. If I go thru with my surgery, I will have to be non-weight bearing for 4 weeks in a cast.

Sharon W on 3/28/02 at 14:32 (077846)

Oh. I was thinking you might be getting your foot immobilized to try to AVOID surgery. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

-- Sharon

Pam B on 3/28/02 at 19:46 (077897)

I have had two casts......one before surgery and one the day they did my surgery......both were fiberglass casts from my knee to my toes.......they were both walking casts and very heavy :) but either way, before or following surgery, they sure made the foot feel better during walking......also have the CAM Boot now, which is basically a nylon cast held together by velcro that can be removed by you, but does the same thing as the cast for the most part......good luck

Fred S. on 3/29/02 at 04:29 (077933)

If you are going to be in a cast, it will almost certainly be made of fiberglass, which is much lighter than plaster. Ask for a Goretex Procel Waterproof cast liner, if it is permissable after surgery. You can shower and bathe in it, and I even swam laps in mine to keep fit.

Good luck with the surgery

Joe B. on 3/29/02 at 06:16 (077935)

But how does the fiberglass cast feel on your foot?? Is the foot totally imobile inside the cast??? Does it feel tight around your foot and calf???

Pam B on 3/29/02 at 12:36 (077979)

Yes it is totally immobile.......no movement......it is tight but not so tight that it hurts........as the cast remains on, it becomes a little looser than it is at first but not alot.....or at least mine did........and when they took mine off, there was more than an inch difference in the size of my calves.......that was when they took the one off in Jan......then I had surgery in Feb and when they took that one off I was two inches smaller in my right leg.......it comes back fast though when you start using it more.......mine it still building up because I came out of the cast and went into a CAM Boot and am still using it for excessive walking......all in all the cast is a pain but it does help to alleviate the pain in the foot.......

Diane O. on 4/11/02 at 11:28 (079235)

Dear Joe
About a month ago I was put into a fibreglass cast for about 2 weeks following a cortisone injection. This was to keep my foot in plantar flexion and also to immobilize it and to keep me off my foot somewhat. I am trying to avoid surgery at all costs at this time. My foot felt fairly comfortable while in the cast (I have since had it removed) but now back to square one with the pain in my right foot. The cast was from my toes to just below my ankle. The only problem with the cast was it not being waterproof made it difficult to shower etc. After a few weeks (this may sound gross) it STUNK. I would convince them to give you a waterproof cast or look into the type that the last person Sharon W. had mentioned.
Good luck with everything, hope you get the relief that you are looking for.

Diane O. on 4/11/02 at 12:26 (079258)

Dear Sharon;
I am interested in the type of cast you have. I did find that I had a bit of relief from my fibreglass cast but showering was almost impossible. Do you know the name or type of cast and could you give me more details.
Thanks Diane O.