Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pauline-Laser-SS-Medicare

Posted by john h on 3/28/02 at 09:26 (077828)

I have various post that indicated that Laser treatments did not provide any help. Bayshore has a slide presentataion on their site which shows a study they did by varying the time between treaments and with and without Laser treatments. It is not a large study but it is worth looking at. There findings were that ESWT with Laser was better than without. How scientific this study was I have no idea. I really have no idea what the Laser does to the foot or what it is supposed to do.

Yes I watched very carefully the current status of the Social Security and Medicare Programs. I do not remember the exact dates but I think the Socail Security Trust Fund is solvent until 2046 or thereabouts and Medicare is about 14-15 years out. In the next few years this will undoubtedly be addressed.Probably after the November elections. As you know these programs are knows as the 3rd rail of politics. I fully expect the SS retirement date to be moved up a couple of years along with some other adjustments to make this solvent for at least 100 years. There will have to be some adjustments to medicare such as raising the annual $100 deductable and perhaps an increase in the current monthly premium of $55.00. These alone would move would provide great relief to the system. The current administration as you know wants to have a small percentage of the SS Trust Fund invested in the market. I think the current rate of return is something like 2%. Looking at a 50 year history of the market it makes some sense to me that in the long haul your money will do better in the market. You just can not evalualte the market on a yearly basis but look at it over the last half century. I personally do not see how increasing immigration will help us. Many of the current immigrants immediately go on to Medicaid and Wellfare and some of our border states are really feeling the consequences of this monetarily. Generally speaking the mindset of the American Public since 9/11 is to greatly restrict immigration and all polls show this. We will need to reform the Medicare and Social Security Systems which means we as tax payers will pay more. You just cannot escape that fact no matter what the solution. Both of these programs are now well entrenched in the American System and any politican who would suggest doing away with thim or altering them in a major way will not be re-elected.

Re: Pauline-Laser-SS-Medicare

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 16:59 (077867)

Hi John / everyone,

I personally have a big problem with immigrants coming into our country, and immediatly going on Welfare, Medicaid, etc. In the mean time, people like myself and Janet, have to pray, wait, hire lawyers, and pray some more, that we will get the govt's help when we need it. If someone can explain this, I'm listening....

BrianG

PS: They are now cutting the Medicaid dental benefits in MA. No more preventative procedures will be allowed, only extractions !!!! You think we talked funny before :*)

BG CPed on 3/28/02 at 18:24 (077885)

It is also too common for some folks to come here and get established then bring their elderly parents here and get them on the dole asap. It is not fair that some old folks worked for 40-50 years and paid into it when a person can come here and get it wihout contributing.

States like Texas, Florida and California will be in big trouble

Pauline on 3/28/02 at 18:58 (077891)

Risking that someone will probably take offence to this, but states like Texas, Florida, California, New Mexico, Navada and one of the Carolina's I think North Carolina are already in big trouble.

They are seeing the results of the high immigrant increase already. It's draining their system and crime rates have increased considerably. Their increased population created new redistricting which added additional representatives in the House this year.

I think we will be seeing big changes in these states in the future and no I do not dislike immigrants, but I do feel it a bit unfair that as someone posted many get government assistance almost immediately while some U.S. citizens have been waiting for help for a long time.

I can only immagine the school districts and hospitals in these areas and wonder how they pay the bills.

Re: SS-Medicare

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 19:01 (077892)

What sort of thing do you mean? Your lifetime contributions to Social Security are used in computing what you get from them, so I would figure these old immigrants would get nothing from that. I will make only $633/month from Social Security at age 67 (less at 65 or 62) because although I've worked most of my life, many of my jobs were low paying student jobs, or jobs with weird hours that fit around my academic schedule or my daughter's school schedule and did not pay Social Security. I have my choice of that or half of my ex's Social Security, which probably is about the same amount. I have no complaint, but I must admit that I AM curious about how someone who hadn't worked in this country could get on Social Security.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/28/02 at 20:14 (077901)

It really is a very different situation than a generation ago when immigrants came here for the freedom to seek employment, economic opportunity, freedom of religion, freedom from oppressive governments...
We gave people the opportunity to earn a living and to strive for the American dream. People cherished the freedom and loved America.

Too many individuals who have come to America in recent years seem to have little love for our country, our culture, our language and are heavy users of our social welfare system.
Ed

Pauline on 3/28/02 at 21:09 (077907)

Check my post on the social board. I think it speaks to what you are saying. I didn't realize we have organizations that tell illegal immigrants what to do in case of a raid.

I don't think this was done in the era you were talking about.

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 23:01 (077919)

I believe there is a minuimm amount they will give you, if you qualify. I have a friend who worked mostly under the table jobs, never did show much income. He makes just under $600 a month. I would have to look it up, but I don't think there are many people getting much less than him. The minimum is probably over $500, no matter what you have put in. It's not a lot of money, but it adds up fast when you count all the people that never paid much into it!

BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 23:47 (077922)

To qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, you have to earn 40 'credits' over your working lifetime. You earn these credits through your work, up to 4 each year. You are right, that $500 is not exactly a free ride, but unfortunately there isn't any minimum amount of $500. Your benefit amounts are determined using your average earnings over your working lifetime. This is what is being told to people by Social Security, anyway.

I'm not saying that free rides don't exist, but if there's a way to get social security when you haven't worked at a social security job and don't have dead relatives that have, or disability, then I'm stumped.

Thank you! I glanced at my Social Security statement to see what I could find out about this, and I'll get $633 if I retire at 62, and if I retire at 66 I will get $992 from Social Security. This is MUCH better and very encouraging! I was just sure that it was the other way, and have been figuring my retirement based on numbers that were too low. (wa-hoo! Who knows, maybe I can retire earlier than I thought!)

Carole C

john h on 3/29/02 at 10:52 (077963)

If an illegal immigrant crosses the border who is pregnant and gives birth in this country it is my understanding that the child is automatically an American Citizen and entitled to all the benefits that go with that including Medicaid,Food Stamps,Welfare,etc. I think the latest numbers I saw we have over 1 million illegal immigrants in the country who we do not even know where they are. We have thousands on legal student visas who are not in school and the immigration service have no idea where they are or what they are doing. AS you all are reading the immigration service is out of control. When the computers go down the immigration service just lets the people come on in with no checks what so ever on thier background or where they are going. Many in congress are suggesting a complete moritorium on immigration until we can get the immigration service under control so that their computers talk to other computers. Some of the terriorist hi jackers who entered this country legally were on the watch list in other countries including Israel. We are moving at a snails pace to correct the monster problems with the immigration service and it seems only a matter of time until we have some suicide bombers make their way to our shores if they are not already here. We cannot have an open door policy to all immigrants. We should of course accept immigrants but in a controlled and sane manner. I read about a couple of border towns in Texas that students are only taught in Spanish. Certainly we should be at least be teaching young immigrants English. This is a politically hot topic. Strangely President Bush is pushing for a bill to make all the illegal immigrants citizens and many of the Democrates and Republicans are fighting this effort. It is usually the other way around with the Democrats supporting open immigration.

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:24 (077968)

Carole: Also understand your SS will be taxed on the federal level. Some states do not tax SS while others do. You will also have $55 (currently) deducted for your Medicare Part A deducted. The Medicare deduction goes up each year. If you continue to work once you go on SS the amount of your SS payment will be reduced. It was a very severe reduction but the laws recently changed so I am not sure what the current rules are. It was that for every $3 you earned your SS would be reduced by $1 and after you reached a certain amount of earned income it was $1 out of every $2. In effect the social security offset meant that after considering your income tax bracket you actually made less money by taking social security than if you worked for free. I think the current rules are after age 70 you can earn all you want.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 12:18 (077975)

Thanks, John! That's some great info. I'm hoping I don't have to work when I'm that old, but who knows. Right now I'm planning to retire at 61 (62 for social security), but I'm only 53 now. When I'm 60 or so I'll have a better handle on whether or not I can actually afford to retire as planned.

Carole C

Re: To John Pauline-Laser-SS-Medicare

Pauline on 3/29/02 at 15:28 (077992)

You know me and hot topics, but I agree with you. I personally feel the
official language in the U.S. should be English. California finally abandoned teaching students in Spanish because it slowed their learning of English.

I feel sorry for the citizens living in the border states that have to pick up the cost for undocumented immigrants, and I don't believe they should be entitled to the benefits that are so easily handed out. It would be interesting to have the numbers on all the undocumented immigrants who gave birth in the U.S. last year and received free medical care not to mentioned qualified for benefits because now they became parents of a Citizen.

Your right about this being a big problem, but once again people are sleeping and those of us living in the Northern states don't feel the pain yet. Some day it will hit all of us and we will realize how much our give away program came back to hurt our children who will be paying for it.

John h on 3/29/02 at 19:20 (078004)

Carole: Try plan A: find a rich dude, marry him, forget SS! Plan B: Find a rich dude, marry him, forget SS.

BG CPed on 3/29/02 at 20:46 (078006)

A few other points on this. Some folks look at SS as some type of 'give back' like a tax refund. They forget that it was their money in the first place and it was taken from them and rationed back to them if they lived long enough and retired late enough.

When I hear folks talk about getting a 'tax refund' they seem to be happy and forget that it was really an interest free loan to the government i.e. I loaned $1,500 to my friend Ernie at the bowling alley and he is giving it back to me 9 months later, how lucky am I, I am getting $1.500 bucks back in a refund!!!!

The same with SS. If they let you keep even 1/2 of that and let you invest it you would be ahead of the game. They have folks so conditioned that even the idea of them letting you keep 1/2 seems like a huge favor on their part. The SS system is nothing more than a government run ponzi scam or a complicated chain letter, and if you did it yourself in the private sector you would get nailed to the wall.

A case in point' I picked up a new vehicle tonight. There was a beautiful charcoal Dodge Viper on the floor. It had a sticker about 60k and there was a $3000 gas guzzler tax on the purchase price. I asked a salesperson if this car gets 11mpg in the city and it is a V-10 engine than would it not be a built in tax?

If you are getting that poor gas milage and a huge portion of the price of gas is a tax then is the 'guzzler tax' not a double tax? What it is is a tax on income or what they would call a luxury tax. I would call it a work hard and buy expensive things tax. It is what they did the boat industry many years back. The governments logic: Rich guys buy big boats. Tax the hell out of them since it is easy to hate the rich. We, the govt. will get lots more money to blow, and score points with the class warfare voters.

Real world result: Boat buyers said 'screw this' we will not be buying a new boat. We will buy our boat in another country or register it there. Several boat companies went under while others fired many workers.

So what is the moral of the story?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 22:57 (078011)

John, where are all these rich dudes that are looking for 53 year old overweight oceanographers with bad feet? (grin)

Actually, I'm still kind of shell-shocked from my divorce and don't want to re-marry. It's only been 4 years. Besides, dating is much more fun. They take me to dinner and I don't have to clean up their apt.

Carole C

John h on 3/30/02 at 11:20 (078041)

Carole: i think all these guys are working for Arthur Anderson and Enron.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 20:49 (078080)

Arthur Anderson and Enron? John, you paint such a tempting scenario. Futures so bright, they gotta wear shades, hmm.:)

Oh, that's right. I don't date guys that might want me to support them. That's one of the reasons I don't want to marry again. I remember now. Guess I'll pass. (grin)

Carole C

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 16:59 (077867)

Hi John / everyone,

I personally have a big problem with immigrants coming into our country, and immediatly going on Welfare, Medicaid, etc. In the mean time, people like myself and Janet, have to pray, wait, hire lawyers, and pray some more, that we will get the govt's help when we need it. If someone can explain this, I'm listening....

BrianG

PS: They are now cutting the Medicaid dental benefits in MA. No more preventative procedures will be allowed, only extractions !!!! You think we talked funny before :*)

BG CPed on 3/28/02 at 18:24 (077885)

It is also too common for some folks to come here and get established then bring their elderly parents here and get them on the dole asap. It is not fair that some old folks worked for 40-50 years and paid into it when a person can come here and get it wihout contributing.

States like Texas, Florida and California will be in big trouble

Pauline on 3/28/02 at 18:58 (077891)

Risking that someone will probably take offence to this, but states like Texas, Florida, California, New Mexico, Navada and one of the Carolina's I think North Carolina are already in big trouble.

They are seeing the results of the high immigrant increase already. It's draining their system and crime rates have increased considerably. Their increased population created new redistricting which added additional representatives in the House this year.

I think we will be seeing big changes in these states in the future and no I do not dislike immigrants, but I do feel it a bit unfair that as someone posted many get government assistance almost immediately while some U.S. citizens have been waiting for help for a long time.

I can only immagine the school districts and hospitals in these areas and wonder how they pay the bills.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 19:01 (077892)

What sort of thing do you mean? Your lifetime contributions to Social Security are used in computing what you get from them, so I would figure these old immigrants would get nothing from that. I will make only $633/month from Social Security at age 67 (less at 65 or 62) because although I've worked most of my life, many of my jobs were low paying student jobs, or jobs with weird hours that fit around my academic schedule or my daughter's school schedule and did not pay Social Security. I have my choice of that or half of my ex's Social Security, which probably is about the same amount. I have no complaint, but I must admit that I AM curious about how someone who hadn't worked in this country could get on Social Security.

Carole C

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/28/02 at 20:14 (077901)

It really is a very different situation than a generation ago when immigrants came here for the freedom to seek employment, economic opportunity, freedom of religion, freedom from oppressive governments...
We gave people the opportunity to earn a living and to strive for the American dream. People cherished the freedom and loved America.

Too many individuals who have come to America in recent years seem to have little love for our country, our culture, our language and are heavy users of our social welfare system.
Ed

Pauline on 3/28/02 at 21:09 (077907)

Check my post on the social board. I think it speaks to what you are saying. I didn't realize we have organizations that tell illegal immigrants what to do in case of a raid.

I don't think this was done in the era you were talking about.

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 23:01 (077919)

I believe there is a minuimm amount they will give you, if you qualify. I have a friend who worked mostly under the table jobs, never did show much income. He makes just under $600 a month. I would have to look it up, but I don't think there are many people getting much less than him. The minimum is probably over $500, no matter what you have put in. It's not a lot of money, but it adds up fast when you count all the people that never paid much into it!

BrianG

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 23:47 (077922)

To qualify for Social Security retirement benefits, you have to earn 40 'credits' over your working lifetime. You earn these credits through your work, up to 4 each year. You are right, that $500 is not exactly a free ride, but unfortunately there isn't any minimum amount of $500. Your benefit amounts are determined using your average earnings over your working lifetime. This is what is being told to people by Social Security, anyway.

I'm not saying that free rides don't exist, but if there's a way to get social security when you haven't worked at a social security job and don't have dead relatives that have, or disability, then I'm stumped.

Thank you! I glanced at my Social Security statement to see what I could find out about this, and I'll get $633 if I retire at 62, and if I retire at 66 I will get $992 from Social Security. This is MUCH better and very encouraging! I was just sure that it was the other way, and have been figuring my retirement based on numbers that were too low. (wa-hoo! Who knows, maybe I can retire earlier than I thought!)

Carole C

john h on 3/29/02 at 10:52 (077963)

If an illegal immigrant crosses the border who is pregnant and gives birth in this country it is my understanding that the child is automatically an American Citizen and entitled to all the benefits that go with that including Medicaid,Food Stamps,Welfare,etc. I think the latest numbers I saw we have over 1 million illegal immigrants in the country who we do not even know where they are. We have thousands on legal student visas who are not in school and the immigration service have no idea where they are or what they are doing. AS you all are reading the immigration service is out of control. When the computers go down the immigration service just lets the people come on in with no checks what so ever on thier background or where they are going. Many in congress are suggesting a complete moritorium on immigration until we can get the immigration service under control so that their computers talk to other computers. Some of the terriorist hi jackers who entered this country legally were on the watch list in other countries including Israel. We are moving at a snails pace to correct the monster problems with the immigration service and it seems only a matter of time until we have some suicide bombers make their way to our shores if they are not already here. We cannot have an open door policy to all immigrants. We should of course accept immigrants but in a controlled and sane manner. I read about a couple of border towns in Texas that students are only taught in Spanish. Certainly we should be at least be teaching young immigrants English. This is a politically hot topic. Strangely President Bush is pushing for a bill to make all the illegal immigrants citizens and many of the Democrates and Republicans are fighting this effort. It is usually the other way around with the Democrats supporting open immigration.

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:24 (077968)

Carole: Also understand your SS will be taxed on the federal level. Some states do not tax SS while others do. You will also have $55 (currently) deducted for your Medicare Part A deducted. The Medicare deduction goes up each year. If you continue to work once you go on SS the amount of your SS payment will be reduced. It was a very severe reduction but the laws recently changed so I am not sure what the current rules are. It was that for every $3 you earned your SS would be reduced by $1 and after you reached a certain amount of earned income it was $1 out of every $2. In effect the social security offset meant that after considering your income tax bracket you actually made less money by taking social security than if you worked for free. I think the current rules are after age 70 you can earn all you want.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 12:18 (077975)

Thanks, John! That's some great info. I'm hoping I don't have to work when I'm that old, but who knows. Right now I'm planning to retire at 61 (62 for social security), but I'm only 53 now. When I'm 60 or so I'll have a better handle on whether or not I can actually afford to retire as planned.

Carole C

Re: To John Pauline-Laser-SS-Medicare

Pauline on 3/29/02 at 15:28 (077992)

You know me and hot topics, but I agree with you. I personally feel the
official language in the U.S. should be English. California finally abandoned teaching students in Spanish because it slowed their learning of English.

I feel sorry for the citizens living in the border states that have to pick up the cost for undocumented immigrants, and I don't believe they should be entitled to the benefits that are so easily handed out. It would be interesting to have the numbers on all the undocumented immigrants who gave birth in the U.S. last year and received free medical care not to mentioned qualified for benefits because now they became parents of a Citizen.

Your right about this being a big problem, but once again people are sleeping and those of us living in the Northern states don't feel the pain yet. Some day it will hit all of us and we will realize how much our give away program came back to hurt our children who will be paying for it.

John h on 3/29/02 at 19:20 (078004)

Carole: Try plan A: find a rich dude, marry him, forget SS! Plan B: Find a rich dude, marry him, forget SS.

BG CPed on 3/29/02 at 20:46 (078006)

A few other points on this. Some folks look at SS as some type of 'give back' like a tax refund. They forget that it was their money in the first place and it was taken from them and rationed back to them if they lived long enough and retired late enough.

When I hear folks talk about getting a 'tax refund' they seem to be happy and forget that it was really an interest free loan to the government i.e. I loaned $1,500 to my friend Ernie at the bowling alley and he is giving it back to me 9 months later, how lucky am I, I am getting $1.500 bucks back in a refund!!!!

The same with SS. If they let you keep even 1/2 of that and let you invest it you would be ahead of the game. They have folks so conditioned that even the idea of them letting you keep 1/2 seems like a huge favor on their part. The SS system is nothing more than a government run ponzi scam or a complicated chain letter, and if you did it yourself in the private sector you would get nailed to the wall.

A case in point' I picked up a new vehicle tonight. There was a beautiful charcoal Dodge Viper on the floor. It had a sticker about 60k and there was a $3000 gas guzzler tax on the purchase price. I asked a salesperson if this car gets 11mpg in the city and it is a V-10 engine than would it not be a built in tax?

If you are getting that poor gas milage and a huge portion of the price of gas is a tax then is the 'guzzler tax' not a double tax? What it is is a tax on income or what they would call a luxury tax. I would call it a work hard and buy expensive things tax. It is what they did the boat industry many years back. The governments logic: Rich guys buy big boats. Tax the hell out of them since it is easy to hate the rich. We, the govt. will get lots more money to blow, and score points with the class warfare voters.

Real world result: Boat buyers said 'screw this' we will not be buying a new boat. We will buy our boat in another country or register it there. Several boat companies went under while others fired many workers.

So what is the moral of the story?

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 22:57 (078011)

John, where are all these rich dudes that are looking for 53 year old overweight oceanographers with bad feet? (grin)

Actually, I'm still kind of shell-shocked from my divorce and don't want to re-marry. It's only been 4 years. Besides, dating is much more fun. They take me to dinner and I don't have to clean up their apt.

Carole C

John h on 3/30/02 at 11:20 (078041)

Carole: i think all these guys are working for Arthur Anderson and Enron.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 20:49 (078080)

Arthur Anderson and Enron? John, you paint such a tempting scenario. Futures so bright, they gotta wear shades, hmm.:)

Oh, that's right. I don't date guys that might want me to support them. That's one of the reasons I don't want to marry again. I remember now. Guess I'll pass. (grin)

Carole C