Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New orthotics

Posted by monte on 3/28/02 at 11:20 (077834)

I am 7 days into breaking in my new orthoics. They are semi rigid. They have some give. My heels seem a bit more comfortable but the arches sting. I feel some tingling in my inside ankles. Could that be from the foot correction. These are supporsed to control my pronation as well as offer arch support. How long does it take to break in? Any thoughts?

Re: New orthotics

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 12:10 (077840)

My orthotics are foam on top of eva. I don't know if that is semi-soft or soft, though I suspect soft because there's a considerable amount of foam. I think a week is plenty of time for soft orthotics to be broken in, but I don't know about any other kind (except to suggest to play it by ear).

Maybe it would help to divide the wearing time up and wear something else in between. For example, 2-4 hours of orthotics, a couple of hours of something else, and back to the orthotics. Or you could do what I have been doing: if you wear them at work, take them off as soon as you get home and put on your Birkentocks or whatever. I think wearing my orthotics even for part of the day helps the way my feet feel overall, even in between when I'm not wearing them. Can you feel any improvement?

Also, be sure to remember your stretching and rest, and icing your feet when you take off your orthotics is helpful.

I sure hope that these orthotics work for you. Are they custom or OTC? It seems to me that you were going to get custom orthotics.

Carole C

D.Thomas on 3/28/02 at 12:28 (077841)

Monte,

I had the same problem with tingling in my inside ankles. It got to the point that it felt like vibration sensations on the inside of my ankles. It's still a little early just given two weeks but be careful what your feet are telling you. If it persists take them back and see if your doctor will adjust them. Orthotics can need adjustments to fit correctly.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/28/02 at 14:57 (077851)

Hi Monte,
break in times will vary with everyone. I have seen people take two weeks and up to six months. Just go slow, and do not force yourself to get used to wearing them.

It is possible your ankles are tingling due to the correction. Keep track of that...and let your doc know right away if there is any pain.

As for your arches stinging...keep track of that as well. If you are an overpronator, I would not doubt it if you have forefoot varus. That is basicall when the first metatarsal head is higher than the fifth. This can also make the arch of the orthotic feel high. If it bothers you for the next week or two, have the doc or C.Ped check you for forefoot varus. You may just need a little posting under the first met head to bring the floor up to the foot.
Richard

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 12:10 (077840)

My orthotics are foam on top of eva. I don't know if that is semi-soft or soft, though I suspect soft because there's a considerable amount of foam. I think a week is plenty of time for soft orthotics to be broken in, but I don't know about any other kind (except to suggest to play it by ear).

Maybe it would help to divide the wearing time up and wear something else in between. For example, 2-4 hours of orthotics, a couple of hours of something else, and back to the orthotics. Or you could do what I have been doing: if you wear them at work, take them off as soon as you get home and put on your Birkentocks or whatever. I think wearing my orthotics even for part of the day helps the way my feet feel overall, even in between when I'm not wearing them. Can you feel any improvement?

Also, be sure to remember your stretching and rest, and icing your feet when you take off your orthotics is helpful.

I sure hope that these orthotics work for you. Are they custom or OTC? It seems to me that you were going to get custom orthotics.

Carole C

D.Thomas on 3/28/02 at 12:28 (077841)

Monte,

I had the same problem with tingling in my inside ankles. It got to the point that it felt like vibration sensations on the inside of my ankles. It's still a little early just given two weeks but be careful what your feet are telling you. If it persists take them back and see if your doctor will adjust them. Orthotics can need adjustments to fit correctly.

Richard, C.Ped on 3/28/02 at 14:57 (077851)

Hi Monte,
break in times will vary with everyone. I have seen people take two weeks and up to six months. Just go slow, and do not force yourself to get used to wearing them.

It is possible your ankles are tingling due to the correction. Keep track of that...and let your doc know right away if there is any pain.

As for your arches stinging...keep track of that as well. If you are an overpronator, I would not doubt it if you have forefoot varus. That is basicall when the first metatarsal head is higher than the fifth. This can also make the arch of the orthotic feel high. If it bothers you for the next week or two, have the doc or C.Ped check you for forefoot varus. You may just need a little posting under the first met head to bring the floor up to the foot.
Richard