Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finally found something that helped....

Posted by Normb on 3/28/02 at 14:41 (077849)

Hi!
Well, I have had PF to varying degrees for about a year now, sometimes REALLY BAD, and I think I may have finally have gotten 'better' by better I mean I wake up consistantly with VERY little or no pain, and feel like running again.
I have tried a few things, over the counter orthotics, and stretching, but they only provided a little relief, and the PF would come back suddenly and for no apparent reason.
Then I got Arch braces, for me these did nothing. At times they actually made my feet hurt more, so I stopped using them.

What REALLY made a difference was My new friend. The Stairmaster 4000PT.
I joined a gym and started doing this about 45Mins 3-4 times a week.
(interval setting 4 if anyone cares.)
I didn't post here for a while, cause I was expecting my PF to come back, but it seems ok now.

I suspect that the way the feet rest on the 'steps' causes the PF to stretch with every step, but does not cause great stress on the arch.

All I know is that I am in fantastic shape and my feet are pretty damn happy.

I started doing the stairmaster because I thought it was a good alternative to running, and gives the user one hell of a workout, now I may introduce running in moderation and conjuction with the stairmaster to continue the recovery.

As with all things, YMMV, but I hope someone else gets some relief if they try this.

Other bits,
I felt no real increase in pain when starting stairmaster workouts.
I think there was a little discomfort at times, but it is gone now.
No moreso than standing around in general.
I want to say I am totally cured, but my feet do still get sore from standing on concrete at work, so I try to not stand if I can avoid it. The difference is that I don't wake up in agony, or think twice about walking around barefoot at home, or compulsively stretch out. Or wince when standing in the shower cause of the pain....all gone.

Re: Finally found something that helped....

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 15:07 (077853)

Hi Norm,

You are actually in the majority, most people can be cured of PF within a year, by conserative type treatments. As far as running, I would personally wait until I was positive I was cured. I hope you are there, and it doesn't come back, but it is still possible to have another flare up. Good luck and stay with your buddy, the stairmaster :*)

BrianG

Carmen H on 3/28/02 at 15:54 (077858)

One thing about the stairmaster though....(I heard) to stay far away from it if you suffer with PF...so I think you may be extremely lucky this worked for you.
It is actually one thing that contributed to me getting PF...the motion itself was BAD news for the arch.
SO glad you are better but I second Brian on the no running thing until you are absolutely sure!

Ellen J. on 3/28/02 at 17:38 (077870)

Hi Norm,
I so glad you are better! I just wanted to mention that I am a former runner and after 2.5 yrs of P.F. was pretty much pain free (I did not run during that time). I thought I might work into running by walking on the treadmill first, and my feet got just a tiny bit sore after that but I tried again the next evening, etc. That, in combination with the wrong athletic shoes, reinjured my feet so now I'm stuck on the couch. It sounds like you might be able to run again, but you may want to be super cautious right now and just try walking, if you haven't already, and see how your feet respond. I don't want anyone to have the reinjury I just had.
It was interesting to hear what worked for you, and I used the stairmaster for a year or so before finding it agravated my PF a bit. However, it was sort of OK if I absolutely kept my feet flat on the pedals--no pushing with the balls of the feet. I later switched to a stationary bike and found that to be better for me. But, if the stairmaster works for you, go for it!
I'm wishing you continued good luck with your feet.
Ellen J.

Kathy G on 3/28/02 at 18:16 (077882)

Normb,

Congratulations on your success with the Stairmaster! I tried it at the gym at the resort where we went on vacation and could barely walk the next day! It's just amazing how different our phisiologies are and the way different people react to different techniques.

Enjoy yourself - it must be wonderful to be able to get exercise again. You give us all hope!

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:31 (077969)

Norm: Besides being a running addict at one time I was a stairmaster addict. I would on occasion do 1 hour at level 10. I have done some stairmaster since PF but probably not more than 15 minutes at a much lower level. I find that I tend to come up on my toes which is putting tension on the fascia which may be good or may be bad. I rather imagine it all depends on what state your fascia is in. If it is very irritated I would think stairmaster would aggrevate it more. If you are somewhat healed it may lead to further stretching of the achilles and calves which could help.

Normb on 3/29/02 at 15:20 (077991)

Wow, 1 hour at level 10 would send me to the hospital.
Interval or flat?

Interesting, though, because my feet must rest different on the steps.
The balls of my feet are partially over the front, so when I start to raise my foot the pressure is on the rear/middle of the ball of my foot.
When I step I try to concentrate on a full range of step, and usually my foot is flat on the step at the down side of the step.

I think you are right, this is really just a prolonged gentle stretch. And, yes, a very irratated PF would be further aggravated...

I do think that realistically I have PF forever, and I have just found a way to minimize it.
I guess the trick is just to be careful never to iratate it further.

John h on 3/29/02 at 19:13 (078003)

Norm it seems like I have had PF forever but I have by no means given up the struggle. My stairmastter was set flat out on level 10 all the way. It seems my calorie count on the machine for 1 hour was near 900. One day I was about 45 minutes into my hour and going for a personal record when some guy pulled the plug on my machine accidentally. I pretended it was no big deal but was it ever a big deal. I got to know him later on and told him I could have died the day he did that.

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 10:12 (078032)

same thing happened to me, John h, when I first joined the Family Fitness gym about five years ago. It was 5:00 in the morning and the gym, as you might imagine, was only about half full. I was on the treadmill jogging along, minding my own business when the on-duty administrator (Identical twin to Atilla /Hun) came along and abruptly turned the treadmill off! I'd been at at for about 25 minutes and she told me that I was over the allotted time allowance (no one waiting, though....). I thought I was going to go in to cardiac arrest considering that I'd had my heart rate right where I wanted it to be at that time. Boy did I ever yell at her! Then I went to the corporate headquarters and complained. They offered me a free t-shirt for compensation.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 13:16 (078050)

In 1981 I started going to a Family Fitness gym back in La Mesa, California (I lived back there at the time). I got 30 days free, with a personal fitness counselor, through some sort of deal with the place where I was working. After that, if I signed up immediately I'd get a big discount. Anyway, my personal fitness counselor started me out with a routine on the exercise bikes that was so slow, that I didn't feel I was getting any benefit. After a few days, I went to him and told him politely that I felt I could do more. He increased what I was doing to TEN times what it was before, literally!! There was no way I could even come near it, even if I had been a professional athlete. He was too busy talking to the other counselors to spend any time with me and refused to adjust my exercise plan any further. I thought that was so asanine that I never went back there. It wasn't helping in my weight loss anyway. There were some very obnoxious patrons that would just hang around and ogle the girls who were exercising, too, and so I felt uncomfortable (back then I had some nice curves to ogle at LOL). Hopefully they are a better gym now than they were then!

Carole C

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 16:54 (078069)

Carole - I didn't realize, or just plain forgot, that you'd lived so close! In '81 we lived near SDSU and moved out to the 'country' just west of Alpine about ten years ago. We never used the FF in La Mesa (the locale isn't so great these days).....we stuck to the one here in El Cajon. We eventually gave it up though only because we 'cycled' back to wanting to work out at home instead. Sometimes we just feel like making a change!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 20:38 (078078)

There are some beautiful areas out there west of Alpine! We (my ex and I, and my daughter once she was born) lived in Spring Valley from 1977-1984. It was not the best area at that time, but we were young and living on a shoestring. Sorry to hear that that part of La Mesa has gone downhill too. I like working out at home best too! So many people can't relate to that, because they do better at a gym. Not me. For one thing, I like being able to hop on my recumbent bicycle and do five minutes while the microwave is cooking my Lean Cuisine. :)

Carole C

BrianG on 3/28/02 at 15:07 (077853)

Hi Norm,

You are actually in the majority, most people can be cured of PF within a year, by conserative type treatments. As far as running, I would personally wait until I was positive I was cured. I hope you are there, and it doesn't come back, but it is still possible to have another flare up. Good luck and stay with your buddy, the stairmaster :*)

BrianG

Carmen H on 3/28/02 at 15:54 (077858)

One thing about the stairmaster though....(I heard) to stay far away from it if you suffer with PF...so I think you may be extremely lucky this worked for you.
It is actually one thing that contributed to me getting PF...the motion itself was BAD news for the arch.
SO glad you are better but I second Brian on the no running thing until you are absolutely sure!

Ellen J. on 3/28/02 at 17:38 (077870)

Hi Norm,
I so glad you are better! I just wanted to mention that I am a former runner and after 2.5 yrs of P.F. was pretty much pain free (I did not run during that time). I thought I might work into running by walking on the treadmill first, and my feet got just a tiny bit sore after that but I tried again the next evening, etc. That, in combination with the wrong athletic shoes, reinjured my feet so now I'm stuck on the couch. It sounds like you might be able to run again, but you may want to be super cautious right now and just try walking, if you haven't already, and see how your feet respond. I don't want anyone to have the reinjury I just had.
It was interesting to hear what worked for you, and I used the stairmaster for a year or so before finding it agravated my PF a bit. However, it was sort of OK if I absolutely kept my feet flat on the pedals--no pushing with the balls of the feet. I later switched to a stationary bike and found that to be better for me. But, if the stairmaster works for you, go for it!
I'm wishing you continued good luck with your feet.
Ellen J.

Kathy G on 3/28/02 at 18:16 (077882)

Normb,

Congratulations on your success with the Stairmaster! I tried it at the gym at the resort where we went on vacation and could barely walk the next day! It's just amazing how different our phisiologies are and the way different people react to different techniques.

Enjoy yourself - it must be wonderful to be able to get exercise again. You give us all hope!

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:31 (077969)

Norm: Besides being a running addict at one time I was a stairmaster addict. I would on occasion do 1 hour at level 10. I have done some stairmaster since PF but probably not more than 15 minutes at a much lower level. I find that I tend to come up on my toes which is putting tension on the fascia which may be good or may be bad. I rather imagine it all depends on what state your fascia is in. If it is very irritated I would think stairmaster would aggrevate it more. If you are somewhat healed it may lead to further stretching of the achilles and calves which could help.

Normb on 3/29/02 at 15:20 (077991)

Wow, 1 hour at level 10 would send me to the hospital.
Interval or flat?

Interesting, though, because my feet must rest different on the steps.
The balls of my feet are partially over the front, so when I start to raise my foot the pressure is on the rear/middle of the ball of my foot.
When I step I try to concentrate on a full range of step, and usually my foot is flat on the step at the down side of the step.

I think you are right, this is really just a prolonged gentle stretch. And, yes, a very irratated PF would be further aggravated...

I do think that realistically I have PF forever, and I have just found a way to minimize it.
I guess the trick is just to be careful never to iratate it further.

John h on 3/29/02 at 19:13 (078003)

Norm it seems like I have had PF forever but I have by no means given up the struggle. My stairmastter was set flat out on level 10 all the way. It seems my calorie count on the machine for 1 hour was near 900. One day I was about 45 minutes into my hour and going for a personal record when some guy pulled the plug on my machine accidentally. I pretended it was no big deal but was it ever a big deal. I got to know him later on and told him I could have died the day he did that.

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 10:12 (078032)

same thing happened to me, John h, when I first joined the Family Fitness gym about five years ago. It was 5:00 in the morning and the gym, as you might imagine, was only about half full. I was on the treadmill jogging along, minding my own business when the on-duty administrator (Identical twin to Atilla /Hun) came along and abruptly turned the treadmill off! I'd been at at for about 25 minutes and she told me that I was over the allotted time allowance (no one waiting, though....). I thought I was going to go in to cardiac arrest considering that I'd had my heart rate right where I wanted it to be at that time. Boy did I ever yell at her! Then I went to the corporate headquarters and complained. They offered me a free t-shirt for compensation.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 13:16 (078050)

In 1981 I started going to a Family Fitness gym back in La Mesa, California (I lived back there at the time). I got 30 days free, with a personal fitness counselor, through some sort of deal with the place where I was working. After that, if I signed up immediately I'd get a big discount. Anyway, my personal fitness counselor started me out with a routine on the exercise bikes that was so slow, that I didn't feel I was getting any benefit. After a few days, I went to him and told him politely that I felt I could do more. He increased what I was doing to TEN times what it was before, literally!! There was no way I could even come near it, even if I had been a professional athlete. He was too busy talking to the other counselors to spend any time with me and refused to adjust my exercise plan any further. I thought that was so asanine that I never went back there. It wasn't helping in my weight loss anyway. There were some very obnoxious patrons that would just hang around and ogle the girls who were exercising, too, and so I felt uncomfortable (back then I had some nice curves to ogle at LOL). Hopefully they are a better gym now than they were then!

Carole C

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 16:54 (078069)

Carole - I didn't realize, or just plain forgot, that you'd lived so close! In '81 we lived near SDSU and moved out to the 'country' just west of Alpine about ten years ago. We never used the FF in La Mesa (the locale isn't so great these days).....we stuck to the one here in El Cajon. We eventually gave it up though only because we 'cycled' back to wanting to work out at home instead. Sometimes we just feel like making a change!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 20:38 (078078)

There are some beautiful areas out there west of Alpine! We (my ex and I, and my daughter once she was born) lived in Spring Valley from 1977-1984. It was not the best area at that time, but we were young and living on a shoestring. Sorry to hear that that part of La Mesa has gone downhill too. I like working out at home best too! So many people can't relate to that, because they do better at a gym. Not me. For one thing, I like being able to hop on my recumbent bicycle and do five minutes while the microwave is cooking my Lean Cuisine. :)

Carole C