Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

CAROLE In NOLA

Posted by Carmen H on 3/28/02 at 18:54 (077890)

I have a friend in New Orleans right now...staying in thefrench quarter. Any thing special she should hit before heading home Sunday??

Re: CAROLE In NOLA

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 19:25 (077894)

Gosh! I don't know, I just live here! LOL You know how it is... when you live somewhere, you never really see it the same way the tourists do. There is so much here, and what they might like would depend on what interests them. Some of New Orleans websites that might have interesting events listed are http://www.nolalive.com , http://www.insideneworleans.com and http://www.bestofneworleans.com . I've enjoyed driving by the cemetaries (very old, above ground tombs and interesting sculpture). I've heard there is a great riverboat tour that goes down to the battleground at Chalmette and elsewhere, but I haven't taken that tour yet. I love exploring New Orleans, but the types of places that I poke about in probably wouldn't be interesting to anybody but me! There are many beautiful historic homes in the Garden District and Uptown, and I love driving around there aimlessly looking at the interesting architecture and gorgeous gardens, and imagining what life was like in New Orleans 100+ years ago when many of the homes here were built. These houses are huge mansions and many have balconies and rooftop areas where people could sleep and catch some of the night breeze, in the days before A/C, for example.

Actually, I've only been to the French Quarter once since I moved here. I do have a date to go there with an old beau from out of town, who'll be back here visiting on the weekend after this coming one. He promises to take me on a walking tour of the Quarter, where he grew up. I was so thrilled to be able to accept! You know what went through my mind.... ('WALKING? oh my gosh oh my gosh, can I do it?') but I think I can. He will be able to find me places to sit, and he's very understanding, and he is not assuming I can do it but simply that I want to try. Anyway, it should be fun. The Quarter is full of historic houses and many are supposedly haunted due to various horrific events that once occurred there.

Carole C

Re: Sites in New Orleans

Rich on 3/28/02 at 22:54 (077917)

Unlike Carole, I'm not a transplant. Your friend should have coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde, frozen drinks at the Gazebo near the old French Market, where really good buys can be found. Jackson Square, the Cabildo, just to mention a little. Not from New Orleans, but not too far either. Hope your friend enjoys the southern hospitality!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 23:57 (077923)

Rich, if they are in the French Quarter and haven't been to Jackson Square and the Cafe du Monde, they need to stroll around a bit, don't you think? :)

Carole C

Re: Even Better

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 00:13 (077924)

Even better, they could get one of the carriage rides/tours that take people all around the Quarter to get a broad overview of things. But maybe they did that when they first got there. The hotels will all have brochures from the more well known tourist spots.

When my brother visited, I really enjoyed seeing Nottaway, a plantation home which is between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Seeing it really made me realize that nobody had it easy on those plantations. The richest plantation owner did not live in the comfort and ease that a lower middle class person would have today, because of technological advances like air conditioning, cars, and so on. I would not trade my life for theirs.

Carole C

Carmen H on 3/29/02 at 08:02 (077944)

VERY cool!! I had coffee there when we went years ago!!!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Carmen H on 3/29/02 at 08:03 (077945)

Perfect Carole! Thanks for the sites!
Good luck on your walk.....I know you will have a good time!

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:49 (077973)

Rich: My last visit to the Big Easy was spring break in college-a very long time ago. I spent the nights at the frat house at Tulane. I think I had about $50 for the week and ate shrimp every day at $1 for all you can eat. I think i spent the bulk of my money in the French Quarter doing something. It must have not been much fun because I cannot even remember what I did.

Re: John...memory lapses

Rich on 3/29/02 at 12:10 (077974)

Kinda sounds like you may have found the Gazebo back then. LOL!

Re: Rich, hope you are doing better today

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 13:24 (077983)

How are your feet today? I hope things seem a little less discouraging for you.

Carole C

Rich on 3/29/02 at 23:56 (078012)

Thanks Carole....somewhat better today!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 12:20 (078252)

I had to write Frank an e-mail and tell him I'll be at sea when he's in town, so I can't do the walk after all. That's kind of sad, but then I love going to sea and I can't do both. I haven't heard back from him yet. Maybe we can delay the walk and do it another time.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 19:25 (077894)

Gosh! I don't know, I just live here! LOL You know how it is... when you live somewhere, you never really see it the same way the tourists do. There is so much here, and what they might like would depend on what interests them. Some of New Orleans websites that might have interesting events listed are http://www.nolalive.com , http://www.insideneworleans.com and http://www.bestofneworleans.com . I've enjoyed driving by the cemetaries (very old, above ground tombs and interesting sculpture). I've heard there is a great riverboat tour that goes down to the battleground at Chalmette and elsewhere, but I haven't taken that tour yet. I love exploring New Orleans, but the types of places that I poke about in probably wouldn't be interesting to anybody but me! There are many beautiful historic homes in the Garden District and Uptown, and I love driving around there aimlessly looking at the interesting architecture and gorgeous gardens, and imagining what life was like in New Orleans 100+ years ago when many of the homes here were built. These houses are huge mansions and many have balconies and rooftop areas where people could sleep and catch some of the night breeze, in the days before A/C, for example.

Actually, I've only been to the French Quarter once since I moved here. I do have a date to go there with an old beau from out of town, who'll be back here visiting on the weekend after this coming one. He promises to take me on a walking tour of the Quarter, where he grew up. I was so thrilled to be able to accept! You know what went through my mind.... ('WALKING? oh my gosh oh my gosh, can I do it?') but I think I can. He will be able to find me places to sit, and he's very understanding, and he is not assuming I can do it but simply that I want to try. Anyway, it should be fun. The Quarter is full of historic houses and many are supposedly haunted due to various horrific events that once occurred there.

Carole C

Rich on 3/28/02 at 22:54 (077917)

Unlike Carole, I'm not a transplant. Your friend should have coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde, frozen drinks at the Gazebo near the old French Market, where really good buys can be found. Jackson Square, the Cabildo, just to mention a little. Not from New Orleans, but not too far either. Hope your friend enjoys the southern hospitality!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 3/28/02 at 23:57 (077923)

Rich, if they are in the French Quarter and haven't been to Jackson Square and the Cafe du Monde, they need to stroll around a bit, don't you think? :)

Carole C

Re: Even Better

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 00:13 (077924)

Even better, they could get one of the carriage rides/tours that take people all around the Quarter to get a broad overview of things. But maybe they did that when they first got there. The hotels will all have brochures from the more well known tourist spots.

When my brother visited, I really enjoyed seeing Nottaway, a plantation home which is between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Seeing it really made me realize that nobody had it easy on those plantations. The richest plantation owner did not live in the comfort and ease that a lower middle class person would have today, because of technological advances like air conditioning, cars, and so on. I would not trade my life for theirs.

Carole C

Carmen H on 3/29/02 at 08:02 (077944)

VERY cool!! I had coffee there when we went years ago!!!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Carmen H on 3/29/02 at 08:03 (077945)

Perfect Carole! Thanks for the sites!
Good luck on your walk.....I know you will have a good time!

john h on 3/29/02 at 11:49 (077973)

Rich: My last visit to the Big Easy was spring break in college-a very long time ago. I spent the nights at the frat house at Tulane. I think I had about $50 for the week and ate shrimp every day at $1 for all you can eat. I think i spent the bulk of my money in the French Quarter doing something. It must have not been much fun because I cannot even remember what I did.

Re: John...memory lapses

Rich on 3/29/02 at 12:10 (077974)

Kinda sounds like you may have found the Gazebo back then. LOL!

Carole C in NOLA on 3/29/02 at 13:24 (077983)

How are your feet today? I hope things seem a little less discouraging for you.

Carole C

Rich on 3/29/02 at 23:56 (078012)

Thanks Carole....somewhat better today!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 12:20 (078252)

I had to write Frank an e-mail and tell him I'll be at sea when he's in town, so I can't do the walk after all. That's kind of sad, but then I love going to sea and I can't do both. I haven't heard back from him yet. Maybe we can delay the walk and do it another time.

Carole C