Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery a viable option?

Posted by Lisa G on 3/28/02 at 20:26 (077903)

I started having heal pain about 8 years ago when I was in basic training and
the shoes the army forced me to wear did not offer enough support for my very
high arch.

The army treated my pain with motrin, very flimsy inserts and strengthening
exercises. When I got out of the army I saw a pod who recommended orthotics and
stretching...I am now on my second set of orthotics, have been stretching
several times daily for 7 years, have done all the exercises I can possibly do,
have had ultra sound and electric stim, been on celebrex for over a year now,
have had cortizone injections, only wear tennis shoes or ugly tie shoes, am not
overweight...have been told by a second pod to just get used to the pain, and
just yesterday saw a new pod who recommeneded surgery immediately. I am just
looking for other opinions on surgery...what kind of surgeries are out
there...this new guy said it was a newer procedure...took about 5 minutes each
foot...walking out pain free that day...

I have been dealing with this for 8 years...I am 28 and basically feel that my
life has been...well...ruined might be too harsh of a word...but drastically
changed by this. I am not the same person I was, I cannot work, it has affected
my marriage...EVERYTHING...we would like children but right now can't even bear
the thought of adding all that weight to my feet...I'm frustrated, fed up...and
would do just about anything to fix this!

thanks for listening and responding...sorry if this is too long...

Re: surgery a viable option?

Julie on 3/29/02 at 02:59 (077932)

Lisa, surgery is a last resort. Chronic PF is difficult to resolve, but there are various options out there, including ESWT. See my longer response on the other thread you started. I'm sure you'll get replies from the doctors too.

BrianG on 3/30/02 at 18:23 (078073)

Hi Lisa,

I too have had chronic pain for 8 years, due to PF. I'd be very careful about surgery, there is so much that can go wrong. But, not all surgery is bad. If you find someone that you trust, and has cured numerous people, do you have the time to relax during the recovery period? This can take anywhere from a couple of months, up to a year. If you have the surgery, and do not take time off to heal, you'll probably lower any success you might have had.

Myself, I'm waiting for ESWT. There are now two machines in the US approved by the govt. to treat heel pain, and sooner or later, I feel the prices will have to come down, and insurance will be more willing to help pay. In the mean time, I'm buying some time by having my doctor treat me with pain meds. Is that something you may have thought about?

Lastly, and I hate to ask. Is our govt. doing anything to help you? Since this happened in boot camp, I would think they are still responsible, yes / no? Good luck

BrianG

PS I never heard of the surgery that takes 5 minutes and you walk out pain free. Could you ask him the name of this procedure.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 17:14 (078848)

Hello Lisa,

Everything you just said, is exactly how I feel about my life. It seems everyone has an opinion and it will help but you might have to take some risk. Everyone reacts differently to surgery. I did the ossa tron, which is the shock wave treatment. unfortunatly, my doctor had the power on too high, so I do feel it did more harm than good. That is because that particular surgery is experimental. These doctors are just now being trained to do this surgery. The FDA may be approving it, but its only experimental. I just recently had the facia release on my left foot, I do believe it will help my foot,but its only been about a week. If you are in this much pain for this long, its time for some relief. Believe me I know how you feel. Take care of your self, I will let you know How I feel in a month. I do have a close friend that did the same surgery 2yrs ago and her foot feels great. Just ice it and stretch it like crazy right now.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 17:17 (078849)

One more thing, if your considering surgery, the release, don't have your heelspurs removed, you will probaly have pain for the rest of your life.

Julie on 3/29/02 at 02:59 (077932)

Lisa, surgery is a last resort. Chronic PF is difficult to resolve, but there are various options out there, including ESWT. See my longer response on the other thread you started. I'm sure you'll get replies from the doctors too.

BrianG on 3/30/02 at 18:23 (078073)

Hi Lisa,

I too have had chronic pain for 8 years, due to PF. I'd be very careful about surgery, there is so much that can go wrong. But, not all surgery is bad. If you find someone that you trust, and has cured numerous people, do you have the time to relax during the recovery period? This can take anywhere from a couple of months, up to a year. If you have the surgery, and do not take time off to heal, you'll probably lower any success you might have had.

Myself, I'm waiting for ESWT. There are now two machines in the US approved by the govt. to treat heel pain, and sooner or later, I feel the prices will have to come down, and insurance will be more willing to help pay. In the mean time, I'm buying some time by having my doctor treat me with pain meds. Is that something you may have thought about?

Lastly, and I hate to ask. Is our govt. doing anything to help you? Since this happened in boot camp, I would think they are still responsible, yes / no? Good luck

BrianG

PS I never heard of the surgery that takes 5 minutes and you walk out pain free. Could you ask him the name of this procedure.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 17:14 (078848)

Hello Lisa,

Everything you just said, is exactly how I feel about my life. It seems everyone has an opinion and it will help but you might have to take some risk. Everyone reacts differently to surgery. I did the ossa tron, which is the shock wave treatment. unfortunatly, my doctor had the power on too high, so I do feel it did more harm than good. That is because that particular surgery is experimental. These doctors are just now being trained to do this surgery. The FDA may be approving it, but its only experimental. I just recently had the facia release on my left foot, I do believe it will help my foot,but its only been about a week. If you are in this much pain for this long, its time for some relief. Believe me I know how you feel. Take care of your self, I will let you know How I feel in a month. I do have a close friend that did the same surgery 2yrs ago and her foot feels great. Just ice it and stretch it like crazy right now.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 17:17 (078849)

One more thing, if your considering surgery, the release, don't have your heelspurs removed, you will probaly have pain for the rest of your life.