Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mortons Neuroma

Posted by Irena W on 3/28/02 at 22:27 (077914)

I have just been diagnosed with the above, can you give me some info' on this. Thankyou.

Re: Mortons Neuroma

Kathy G on 3/30/02 at 16:41 (078067)

Irena,

Well, here I am posting on the Doctor's Board which I never came near unless I was going to actually post something for the doctors but I discovered other non-doctors also post, so here I go:

I was diagnosed with a Mortons Neuroma about 7 years ago. At that time, my Podiatrist recommended that I wear inserts which he supplied. These were actually 1/2 soles, made out of a blue rubbery material. He also gave me anti-inflammatories and recommended I wear nothing but running shoes. Upon my follow-up appointment, when he discovered that I was still having pain, he gave me a cortisone shot. It was like a miracle! I was almost pain-free for almost 3 months but then the pain started again. My pod was hesitant to do surgery since my symptoms were not classic and he was very fearful that he would not be able to alleviate my symptoms so he told me that if I wanted to have surgery, I'd have to find someone else! My kind of doctor! He did bring in his partner and discuss the case with him and because of their excellent reputation, I fully trusted them.

I went back for the cortisone shot every 4-5 months for a while. I honestly can't remember how long. The problem with these shots of cortisone, he said, was that they tended to weaken the joints so he could only give me a limited number of them. When I had the last one, it didn't help much at all, so he then recommended custom orthotics. They cost $400 and my insurance didn't cover them. I had great misgivings. He had mentioned them several times previously but I was always very resistant because I knew almost nobody who wore their orthotics for very long and I was most unwilling to spend the money. I finally agreed. It was the smartest thing I ever did! My neuroma never hurts anymore! I estimate that I got the orthotics about 3 1/2 years ago.

Now, if you peruse the boards, you'll see that I suffer from PF. But at the time I went to the Pod for the neuroma I was already suffering from the burning arches and upon my own stupid request, when he sent me to physical therapy, whatever they did resulted in my having pain in my heels. Everyone who has a neuroma does not go on to have Plantar Fasciitis so take heart.

My younger sister developed a neuroma about 4 years ago and she displayed classic symptoms so she had the surgery. She still has some pain but she is much better. If she wasn't so stubborn and would wear the proper shoes, I don't think she'd have much pain at all. She also didn't go back to the doctor for her second appointment after her surgery and I believe that if she went back, she'd probably benefit from custom orthotics and could be pain-free.

I also should mention that he did x-ray my feet to rule out any other maladies such as arthritis and I was fine. Neuromas don't show up in x-rays.

So, that's my story. I hope I've been of some help to you. Have faith - it's a condition that can be remedied if you follow the doctor's orders and have patience!!

Good luck!

Irena W on 3/31/02 at 17:50 (078115)

Hi Kathy, thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me on the problem, as I am against taking the cortisone shots, for the reasons given, although it is very painful, and I may give in. I did have orthotics made a few months ago, for around the same price.But for a different problem, but can only be worn with running shoes, which I'm afraid I don't do every day. So maybe I should grin and bare it, and do as you are doing,as I have a hammer toe and bunion on the same foot, and feel, once I start with operations, it will be ongoing. So thanks again and trust that you continue to be pain free. Sincerely I.W.

Re: To Irena re: orthotics and running shoes

Kathy G on 4/01/02 at 15:52 (078197)

Irena,

Before I had to give up my job because of my foot problems, I always wore skirts to work, with my running shoes. When my then teen-aged daughter asked me what would people think if they saw the running shoes, I told her they'd either think I had absolutely no sense of style - or bad feet!

As to the pain of the cortisone shot, I guess I'm either numb or have a great doctor, but he mixes it with lydocane (sp?) and yes, it hurts for a minute or two, but man, the relief is well worth the pain!

You do have multiple problems with that same foot and you have my sympathy. For what it's worth, a friend of my mother's had her bunions operated on and then kicked herself (with her good foot) because she'd waited so long to have it done. She said the relief was like heaven.

Hang in there!!

Kathy G on 3/30/02 at 16:41 (078067)

Irena,

Well, here I am posting on the Doctor's Board which I never came near unless I was going to actually post something for the doctors but I discovered other non-doctors also post, so here I go:

I was diagnosed with a Mortons Neuroma about 7 years ago. At that time, my Podiatrist recommended that I wear inserts which he supplied. These were actually 1/2 soles, made out of a blue rubbery material. He also gave me anti-inflammatories and recommended I wear nothing but running shoes. Upon my follow-up appointment, when he discovered that I was still having pain, he gave me a cortisone shot. It was like a miracle! I was almost pain-free for almost 3 months but then the pain started again. My pod was hesitant to do surgery since my symptoms were not classic and he was very fearful that he would not be able to alleviate my symptoms so he told me that if I wanted to have surgery, I'd have to find someone else! My kind of doctor! He did bring in his partner and discuss the case with him and because of their excellent reputation, I fully trusted them.

I went back for the cortisone shot every 4-5 months for a while. I honestly can't remember how long. The problem with these shots of cortisone, he said, was that they tended to weaken the joints so he could only give me a limited number of them. When I had the last one, it didn't help much at all, so he then recommended custom orthotics. They cost $400 and my insurance didn't cover them. I had great misgivings. He had mentioned them several times previously but I was always very resistant because I knew almost nobody who wore their orthotics for very long and I was most unwilling to spend the money. I finally agreed. It was the smartest thing I ever did! My neuroma never hurts anymore! I estimate that I got the orthotics about 3 1/2 years ago.

Now, if you peruse the boards, you'll see that I suffer from PF. But at the time I went to the Pod for the neuroma I was already suffering from the burning arches and upon my own stupid request, when he sent me to physical therapy, whatever they did resulted in my having pain in my heels. Everyone who has a neuroma does not go on to have Plantar Fasciitis so take heart.

My younger sister developed a neuroma about 4 years ago and she displayed classic symptoms so she had the surgery. She still has some pain but she is much better. If she wasn't so stubborn and would wear the proper shoes, I don't think she'd have much pain at all. She also didn't go back to the doctor for her second appointment after her surgery and I believe that if she went back, she'd probably benefit from custom orthotics and could be pain-free.

I also should mention that he did x-ray my feet to rule out any other maladies such as arthritis and I was fine. Neuromas don't show up in x-rays.

So, that's my story. I hope I've been of some help to you. Have faith - it's a condition that can be remedied if you follow the doctor's orders and have patience!!

Good luck!

Irena W on 3/31/02 at 17:50 (078115)

Hi Kathy, thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten me on the problem, as I am against taking the cortisone shots, for the reasons given, although it is very painful, and I may give in. I did have orthotics made a few months ago, for around the same price.But for a different problem, but can only be worn with running shoes, which I'm afraid I don't do every day. So maybe I should grin and bare it, and do as you are doing,as I have a hammer toe and bunion on the same foot, and feel, once I start with operations, it will be ongoing. So thanks again and trust that you continue to be pain free. Sincerely I.W.

Re: To Irena re: orthotics and running shoes

Kathy G on 4/01/02 at 15:52 (078197)

Irena,

Before I had to give up my job because of my foot problems, I always wore skirts to work, with my running shoes. When my then teen-aged daughter asked me what would people think if they saw the running shoes, I told her they'd either think I had absolutely no sense of style - or bad feet!

As to the pain of the cortisone shot, I guess I'm either numb or have a great doctor, but he mixes it with lydocane (sp?) and yes, it hurts for a minute or two, but man, the relief is well worth the pain!

You do have multiple problems with that same foot and you have my sympathy. For what it's worth, a friend of my mother's had her bunions operated on and then kicked herself (with her good foot) because she'd waited so long to have it done. She said the relief was like heaven.

Hang in there!!