Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ortho doc or podiatrist

Posted by Lisa G on 3/29/02 at 11:47 (077972)

What is the difference in seeing an orthopedic dr compared to seeing a podiatrist? Especially in regards to considering surgery...

Thank you
Lisa

Re: ortho doc or podiatrist

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/29/02 at 18:28 (077998)

Statistically, the majority of foot surgery in th US is performed by podiatric physicians.

Orthopedic surgeons are trained in bone and joint surgery with most being 'generalists.' There is a relatively new group of orthopedic surgeons with a subspecialty in the foot and ankle.

Orthopedist tend to perform most of the treatment for trauma, foot or otherwise. Podiatrists tend to perform more work of a reconstructive nature on the foot and ankle. Podiatrists are trained to perform comprehensive foot and ankle care, not just surgery.
Ed

Kathy G on 3/30/02 at 09:06 (078026)

Hi Lisa,

I'm not a doctor and Ed would no better than I but from personal experience I would seek the expertise of a Podiatrist. I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon when my sprained ankle wasn't healing as it should have and he not only didn't know anything about PF, it was clear he didn't have a clue about how debilitating it could be. A podiatrist knows feet and they are so complicated, I think you want someone who specializes in the field. Just my uneducated opinion......

Have a nice weekend,

Kathy

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/02 at 21:54 (078431)

I definitely agree with you but I felt the need to give an objective answer. Thank you.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 3/29/02 at 18:28 (077998)

Statistically, the majority of foot surgery in th US is performed by podiatric physicians.

Orthopedic surgeons are trained in bone and joint surgery with most being 'generalists.' There is a relatively new group of orthopedic surgeons with a subspecialty in the foot and ankle.

Orthopedist tend to perform most of the treatment for trauma, foot or otherwise. Podiatrists tend to perform more work of a reconstructive nature on the foot and ankle. Podiatrists are trained to perform comprehensive foot and ankle care, not just surgery.
Ed

Kathy G on 3/30/02 at 09:06 (078026)

Hi Lisa,

I'm not a doctor and Ed would no better than I but from personal experience I would seek the expertise of a Podiatrist. I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon when my sprained ankle wasn't healing as it should have and he not only didn't know anything about PF, it was clear he didn't have a clue about how debilitating it could be. A podiatrist knows feet and they are so complicated, I think you want someone who specializes in the field. Just my uneducated opinion......

Have a nice weekend,

Kathy

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/02 at 21:54 (078431)

I definitely agree with you but I felt the need to give an objective answer. Thank you.
Ed