Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I wish all my friends a Happy Easter!

Posted by Suzanne D on 3/30/02 at 09:28 (078028)

Dear Friends,

I wish for each of you a blessed Easter. To me, Easter symbolizes hope and renewal; forgiveness and resurrection. It is a time of new beginnings.

I want to thank each of you for what you have meant to me through the past eight months! I have learned from you; I have laughed and cried with you. I have come to think of you as friends and family and to be concerned about your daily happenings. You are all special to me.

I never would have chosen to develop PF, but I can say that my life has been blessed through the lessons I have learned and the people I have met here at Heelspurs.com.

You are a caring and supportive group of people, and it is wonderful to me that this small-town Kentucky 'girl' now has friends in Canada, England, Sweden, and all over the USA. I've never been many places, but I can say I have friends from 'all over'!

I wish for all of you blessings of health and happiness at this time and always,
Suzanne :-)

Re: I wish all my friends a Happy Easter!

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 10:06 (078031)

And California too, Suzanne! And this Californian thanks you for your truly wonderful contribution to this group these last eight months....it is such a reward to keep adding friends like you!
And, to quote a lovely person, 'I never would have chosen to develop PF, but I can say that my life has been blessed through the lessons I have learned and the people I have met here at Heelspurs.com.'.

Happy Easter back to you, Suzanne.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 13:27 (078052)

Suzanne, you are dear to us too. Perhaps more than anyone, you epitomize the spirit of heelspurs.com with your caring, patient, helping, and intelligent posts. I hope your Easter is the happiest ever.

Carole C

Clara on 3/31/02 at 08:34 (078088)

Hi Suzanne D! I wish you a happy easter, too. And what a lovely letter you wrote, I feel just the same, I often think about that I have friends all over the world now, and that´s because of the PF. So something really good has this terrible period in our lives come up with.

How are you folks 'over there' celebrate Easter? We eat a lot of eggs, many of us go to church and so on. We meet all our good friends and relatives. Our children was dressed up like a small gentlemen with happy-easter-cards, and then they go around the houses and give them to people. The girls dresses up too, and they lookes like small old people. It´s really cute.

We have a tradition here in Sweden, the thursday before Good friday we call it 'Pink-thursday'. A long time ago, people here in Sweden believed that the witches flied to a place called 'blue-hill' on a broom. That´s why the children dresses up like that on the Pink thursday. When I was a little girl it was only gils who dressed up like that, but now the boys doing it too. Of course, they got lots of candy in every house!

Take care
//Clara

Carole C in NOLA on 3/31/02 at 09:19 (078092)

Clara, on Easter Sunday (today!) most Americans go to church and they wear their very nicest clothes. Children are dressed up too. When I was young, the women all wore their best hats on Easter. There are church services on Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) and it is sometimes a holiday depending on the policies of the business. The Sunday before Easter is Palm Sunday as I recall, and we always attended church then too.

I'm not very religious and haven't been to church in over a quarter century, so I don't remember much about the religious aspects of Easter, but here's the secular (non-religious) part of Easter:

Children wake up early to baskets with fake grass in them and candy such as chocolate eggs and chocolate bunnies hidden in the fake grass. In recent years many parents have tried to include little gifts so that so much candy is not included since it is not healthy for children to eat huge amounts of candy. When I was little (in the 1950's) my parents used to put fruit in the Easter Basket, along with lots of candy.

In my family, we would then have a very special breakfast of some sort, with the best fruits and French Toast or Eggs Benedict.

Later they go on Easter egg hunts for eggs that their parents hide. This is often the first thing in the morning, before church, but could be after church depending on the time schedule. The parents hide pretty eggs (usually empty egg-shells) that are dyed different colors and decorated in various ways.

At about 2-3 PM we would have a special family dinner, usually ham or duck. When I was a child, this was a formal dinner and everyone was still dressed nicely in the outfits they wore to church. In more recent years, this Easter dinner has become less formal in my family but the food is still special.

Carole C

Tammie on 3/31/02 at 14:16 (078102)

I just returned home from work today and wanted to Wish all of my friends old and new a Very Happy Easter!! I hope that all are having a beautiful Day with alot of sunshine and New Hopes! I also hope that Today the pain is minimal and hope we gather a new renewal in energy and in heart. Since you all know how I feel I will say this also and hope I donot offend anyone. May God enrich and keep you in his circle, and may you never be fearful or alone! Thank you for giving and caring and thank you for keeping this board as a knowledge and learning board and also a caring and heart warming 'safe' place for us to shout get angry or cry and learn and help each other. You all are wonderful People and You are in my prayers always! Love and peace be with you in your hearts and in your lives! Happy Easter P S I seen this funny looking thing hopping in the halls at work today and I do believe it was trying to leave candy and eggs all over ! Suspiciously I think it was Peter Rabbit hopping down the bunny trail, did he visit you also? I got Jelly beans LOL And they said FAT Free ! But not calorie free darn!

Suzanne D on 3/31/02 at 15:32 (078107)

How nice to hear from you, Clara! Your customs sound fun and interesting! Carole did a nice job explaining many of our traditions here involving Easter baskets, new clothes, and dinners.

As for the religious aspect, for Christians, Easter is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. On 'Good Friday', many church hold services to commemorate the death of Jesus on the cross. Easter Sunday is the anniversary of His resurrection from the dead. Many special services are held in churches. Some have 'Sunrise Services' early in the morning, as the Bible says that early on the first day of the week, the women went to the tomb and found it empty. Jesus later appeared to them and told them to tell others what had happened.

I wish you and your family well! It is always good to hear from you!

Re: Do they still have egg fights?

john h on 4/01/02 at 08:12 (078140)

When I was very young we had easter egg fights.You would take your egg and hold it pointed end up and your opponent would tap the pointed end of his egg against yours. Which ever one cracked was the loser and winner got your egg. Bamtam chicken eggs (very small) were always the toughest. This practice has probably faded with time.

Julie on 4/01/02 at 11:19 (078158)

John, Easter egg-fights are a tradition in Greece. They are always played in a large group - children and adults. Whenever an egg is cracked, the player has to leave the game. The one left at the end is the winner. It's very convivial.

The eggs are hard boiled and dyed a deep, brilliant red. When I am in Crete at Easter, I always play it (I've never won). I'm always given several beautiful red eggs, too.

Another custom in the villages is the burning of a life-size effigy of Judas. The children spend days making the huge doll, and collecting wood for the bonfire, and it's always an awesome sight.

The dates of Orthodox Easter are calculated differently from Christian Easter. This year it's much later - 2 May, I think.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:39 (078161)

Wow! I don't remember doing that. My Mom would have probably put her foot down. Or maybe my brothers did it, but I don't remember. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 13:13 (078171)

I remember doing it when I was a kid, but not in the context of an actual fight. Just when we were hungry for an egg! My grandmother apparently called it 'knuckling the eggs' but my mom tells me she never heard it from anyone before my grandmother and hasn't heard it from anybody since, so who knows where she got that term!

John h on 4/01/02 at 18:12 (078208)

As a former champion Easter Egg Fighter the secret is in the egg. Very small eggs from Bantam Chickens will put you in the winners circle Julie. Color did not matter of of course hard boiled.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 18:47 (078217)

I thought brown eggs had thicker shells! I don't know where I got that idea, though. But if it was me, I'd pick a brown egg.

Carole C

JudyS on 3/30/02 at 10:06 (078031)

And California too, Suzanne! And this Californian thanks you for your truly wonderful contribution to this group these last eight months....it is such a reward to keep adding friends like you!
And, to quote a lovely person, 'I never would have chosen to develop PF, but I can say that my life has been blessed through the lessons I have learned and the people I have met here at Heelspurs.com.'.

Happy Easter back to you, Suzanne.

Carole C in NOLA on 3/30/02 at 13:27 (078052)

Suzanne, you are dear to us too. Perhaps more than anyone, you epitomize the spirit of heelspurs.com with your caring, patient, helping, and intelligent posts. I hope your Easter is the happiest ever.

Carole C

Clara on 3/31/02 at 08:34 (078088)

Hi Suzanne D! I wish you a happy easter, too. And what a lovely letter you wrote, I feel just the same, I often think about that I have friends all over the world now, and that´s because of the PF. So something really good has this terrible period in our lives come up with.

How are you folks 'over there' celebrate Easter? We eat a lot of eggs, many of us go to church and so on. We meet all our good friends and relatives. Our children was dressed up like a small gentlemen with happy-easter-cards, and then they go around the houses and give them to people. The girls dresses up too, and they lookes like small old people. It´s really cute.

We have a tradition here in Sweden, the thursday before Good friday we call it 'Pink-thursday'. A long time ago, people here in Sweden believed that the witches flied to a place called 'blue-hill' on a broom. That´s why the children dresses up like that on the Pink thursday. When I was a little girl it was only gils who dressed up like that, but now the boys doing it too. Of course, they got lots of candy in every house!

Take care
//Clara

Carole C in NOLA on 3/31/02 at 09:19 (078092)

Clara, on Easter Sunday (today!) most Americans go to church and they wear their very nicest clothes. Children are dressed up too. When I was young, the women all wore their best hats on Easter. There are church services on Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) and it is sometimes a holiday depending on the policies of the business. The Sunday before Easter is Palm Sunday as I recall, and we always attended church then too.

I'm not very religious and haven't been to church in over a quarter century, so I don't remember much about the religious aspects of Easter, but here's the secular (non-religious) part of Easter:

Children wake up early to baskets with fake grass in them and candy such as chocolate eggs and chocolate bunnies hidden in the fake grass. In recent years many parents have tried to include little gifts so that so much candy is not included since it is not healthy for children to eat huge amounts of candy. When I was little (in the 1950's) my parents used to put fruit in the Easter Basket, along with lots of candy.

In my family, we would then have a very special breakfast of some sort, with the best fruits and French Toast or Eggs Benedict.

Later they go on Easter egg hunts for eggs that their parents hide. This is often the first thing in the morning, before church, but could be after church depending on the time schedule. The parents hide pretty eggs (usually empty egg-shells) that are dyed different colors and decorated in various ways.

At about 2-3 PM we would have a special family dinner, usually ham or duck. When I was a child, this was a formal dinner and everyone was still dressed nicely in the outfits they wore to church. In more recent years, this Easter dinner has become less formal in my family but the food is still special.

Carole C

Tammie on 3/31/02 at 14:16 (078102)

I just returned home from work today and wanted to Wish all of my friends old and new a Very Happy Easter!! I hope that all are having a beautiful Day with alot of sunshine and New Hopes! I also hope that Today the pain is minimal and hope we gather a new renewal in energy and in heart. Since you all know how I feel I will say this also and hope I donot offend anyone. May God enrich and keep you in his circle, and may you never be fearful or alone! Thank you for giving and caring and thank you for keeping this board as a knowledge and learning board and also a caring and heart warming 'safe' place for us to shout get angry or cry and learn and help each other. You all are wonderful People and You are in my prayers always! Love and peace be with you in your hearts and in your lives! Happy Easter P S I seen this funny looking thing hopping in the halls at work today and I do believe it was trying to leave candy and eggs all over ! Suspiciously I think it was Peter Rabbit hopping down the bunny trail, did he visit you also? I got Jelly beans LOL And they said FAT Free ! But not calorie free darn!

Suzanne D on 3/31/02 at 15:32 (078107)

How nice to hear from you, Clara! Your customs sound fun and interesting! Carole did a nice job explaining many of our traditions here involving Easter baskets, new clothes, and dinners.

As for the religious aspect, for Christians, Easter is a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. On 'Good Friday', many church hold services to commemorate the death of Jesus on the cross. Easter Sunday is the anniversary of His resurrection from the dead. Many special services are held in churches. Some have 'Sunrise Services' early in the morning, as the Bible says that early on the first day of the week, the women went to the tomb and found it empty. Jesus later appeared to them and told them to tell others what had happened.

I wish you and your family well! It is always good to hear from you!

john h on 4/01/02 at 08:12 (078140)

When I was very young we had easter egg fights.You would take your egg and hold it pointed end up and your opponent would tap the pointed end of his egg against yours. Which ever one cracked was the loser and winner got your egg. Bamtam chicken eggs (very small) were always the toughest. This practice has probably faded with time.

Julie on 4/01/02 at 11:19 (078158)

John, Easter egg-fights are a tradition in Greece. They are always played in a large group - children and adults. Whenever an egg is cracked, the player has to leave the game. The one left at the end is the winner. It's very convivial.

The eggs are hard boiled and dyed a deep, brilliant red. When I am in Crete at Easter, I always play it (I've never won). I'm always given several beautiful red eggs, too.

Another custom in the villages is the burning of a life-size effigy of Judas. The children spend days making the huge doll, and collecting wood for the bonfire, and it's always an awesome sight.

The dates of Orthodox Easter are calculated differently from Christian Easter. This year it's much later - 2 May, I think.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:39 (078161)

Wow! I don't remember doing that. My Mom would have probably put her foot down. Or maybe my brothers did it, but I don't remember. LOL

Carole C

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 13:13 (078171)

I remember doing it when I was a kid, but not in the context of an actual fight. Just when we were hungry for an egg! My grandmother apparently called it 'knuckling the eggs' but my mom tells me she never heard it from anyone before my grandmother and hasn't heard it from anybody since, so who knows where she got that term!

John h on 4/01/02 at 18:12 (078208)

As a former champion Easter Egg Fighter the secret is in the egg. Very small eggs from Bantam Chickens will put you in the winners circle Julie. Color did not matter of of course hard boiled.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 18:47 (078217)

I thought brown eggs had thicker shells! I don't know where I got that idea, though. But if it was me, I'd pick a brown egg.

Carole C