Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do you think? Am I supposed to be getting tons better?

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 10:11 (078151)

I thought I would get y'all's opinions. I have been wearing semi-rigid orthopaedic pads since mid Jan. 2002. (about 2 and 1/2 months). I thought I was getting better since the pain went down in my arch...but it continues in my heels and my legs get tight. My toes (especially on my left foot) will sometimes curl in pain if I stand too long.

I could not stand to wear the cast my pod made for me. I know she will be disappointed in me, but my leg CRAMPED UP I swear one time when I tried to wear it and I walked with a limp for 2 days.

I was watching kids during Sunday service and my feet were sore. I was in so much pain talking to some ladies they said 'can you breathe? ARe you ok?' and I had to tell them about PF. I was still able to hide eggs for my brother's little ones.

This morning, I still had to sit after talking to a co-worker on my feet for like 5 minutes.

I am on Weight Watchers and lost about 2 1/2 bls (plateuing right now). I am desperately trying to get this weight off my feet in hopes that it will help.

Can anyone tell me...should I be begging my pod for a shot (don't want one!), or vioxx or something else like physical thearpy?

I do try to stretch but I have ended up in more pain if I over do it, so I just rotate my toes and rub my feet before getting up...plus I take baths most of the time.

I also started a supplement called MSM that is supposed to help.

I see my pod tomorrow...so I am just putting this out there to see if anybody has a suggestion.

Thanks,

Melissa

Re: What do you think? Am I supposed to be getting tons better?

Laurie R on 4/01/02 at 10:45 (078152)

Hi Melissa , I am sorry to hear about your pain... I know it is very hard and frustrating .... If you don't mind me asking , do you live in the bay area ?? I think if I remember right you had said you live near Fremont ? I live near Oakland CA .... Just a thought , if you do live this way , I know some very wonderful doctors..... Laurie R

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 11:05 (078154)

I live in the South Bay. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO with the San Jose Medical Group as my medical group.
I don't know if my pod is good or not since she is the only one I have ever been to.

I just feel pretty frustrated and like a failure since I can not wear the night cast thing without my leg wanting to
cramp up.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:47 (078162)

Well don't feel like a failure! If the cast doesn't work for you, then it's not your fault.

It sounds like your tendons and muscles are extremely tight. Don't do any exercises that hurt. Rotating your feet, like you mentioned, is good. You need something that will gently stretch the tendons and muscles in your leg, but not so much that it makes them hurt. You've probably read when I've described the stretch that does that for me, which is sitting on my bed with my leg in front of me and supported by the bed, and then pointing my toes to my nose and holding 10-30 seconds. I do that one several times a day, and then rotate to try to loosen things up afterwards. If that doesn't help, then maybe some other stretch that is gentle enough that it doesn't cause any pain. Julie has some good stretches.

I hope your pod has some ideas for you! Let us know what he says.

Carole C

Re: PS, about weight watchers

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:50 (078163)

By the way, congratulations on losing 2.5 pounds! That's great, and not an easy feat when you have PF. Pat yourself on the back! :)

I'm back on Weight Watchers too, but I didn't more than a pound or so the whole time I had PF so I'm very impressed. !

Carole C

dave on 4/01/02 at 13:51 (078176)

I had cortizone shots and ended up with a burst plantar fascia. Its been four years since then and i am still having trouble. Cortizone can help but remember that it weekens tissue

Re: PT

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 13:54 (078178)

I think if you have been in a cast, are wearing orthotics and still having pain that hurts THAT much your doctor may want to prescribe PT for you. At least to get IOnto or ultra sound...soemthing! Have you tried PT yet?
AlsoI am pretty sure MSM is for joints...not inflammastion so maybe some Aleve for now until you get a general idea of what program the Pod has you on.
PT has helped MANY. MAybe you need guidance and help with how to do your stretches and that may help with the pain you get from doing it alone?

Re: Thanks Carol...you are so encouraging! :)

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:25 (078183)

Hi Carole,

Not to brag, but I've lost 12.5 altogether (lost 10 lbs before WW but it took MONTHS). Since I am retaing H2O, hopefully next Saturday I will have a bigger weight loss. I am going to try some excersises tonight w/o hurting my feet.

Re: Carmen, what is PT?

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:26 (078184)

I will bring up PT to my pod...but what is it? I am taking Aleve, one tablet in the AM, and nothing...
the MSM is not helping too excpet maybe I have a tad bit more energy.

Re: Dave, thx for the WARNING!

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:28 (078185)

Thanks so much for your imput...the pod seems to downplay the effects of the cortizone shot...she doesn't push it though but I am afraid with all my whining she will. I am so sorry you had this effect...you are definitly in my prays Dave to heal.

Re: MSM

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 15:23 (078188)

Perhaps others can jump in here, but I don't think there's any specification that MSM is for joints only. MSM is a form of DMSO, which Scott has posted about a lot--you might want to do a search on both MSM and DMSO for more info. I took MSM for a while, and it didn't do much for me, but then there are plenty of things that didn't work for me that helped others, so it's probably still worth a try. I am pretty sure that some others on the board tried it as well, so if you search, you might see some feedback on it.

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 15:24 (078189)

Also, I should have mentioned that most of these things do not work overnight. It could take at least 4 weeks to see a difference with a lot of supplement-type treatments, so as long as it is not having an adverse effect on you, be sure to give it enough time.

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 16:53 (078200)

Short for Physical Therapy....if you haven't had it yet I would definitely ask for it.

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 16:57 (078201)

I know why I thought it was just for joints...because it is good for Arthritis...I believe my Mom was taking it at one point.
Anyway....here's a link with more info.
http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 17:57 (078205)

That's WONDERFUL! And the fact that it took months, means that you are more likely to KEEP it off than if you had lost it fast in a crash diet. It's so impressive that you have managed to lose with PF, because it's so hard to exercise with PF (not to mention the swelling in the feet, which has to weigh something! Of course you are retaining water!).

Personally I just didn't exercise until I got better. But I'll bet I could have done sitting exercises with weights (or cans of vegetables). Be sweet to your feet if you can. :)

Carole C

dave on 4/02/02 at 08:17 (078239)

have you thought about having eswt done? I had the procedure done last week in jersey. Doctor z. performed the treatment. So far so good. I am hopefull that i will get some relief. I have refused to have the regular surgery. I know that there are alot of people thought have had great results from surgery but after reading about so many failures i am not ready to have my problems get any worse. I have seen 6 doctors over the last five years for my plantar fasciitis. I have done it all. I wore night splints for three years.4 pairs of orthotics. Cortisone shots.Pills, pills and more pills. I had to crawl around the house for two months on my hands and knees because i couldnt walk at all. I lost the job that i loved and was forced to take a lower paying job with bad insurance. My souse ( Mary ) has been very supportive through all of this. But she also doesnt fully understand what we all go through. I have lost contact with most of my friends. they just stop calling. I feel bad for those that i love since i am unable to keep up with them. Dont get me wrong. I have improved alot over the years, but i am still unable to do everything that i want. I still kneel on a chair to do the dishes. And Mary does all the shopping. I will keep you posted on my improvements that i make since my eswt treatment.

Re: UPDATE: POD rx'd me some PT! Physical Therapy Right?

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:19 (078262)

I start on April 17th. Evidently my ligments are too tight and I may have a pinched nerve in my back. They will do tests to find out more if I don't get better with PT.

Re: I am getting PT..

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:22 (078263)

Hi Dave,

I am so sorry to hear about you losing friends and the pain. :(

I am glad you got ESWT and hope for the future. Also, sounds like you have
a great wife.

My roomate has volunteered to go shopping for me in the future. I also might do the
Safeway delivery thing.

Hopefully PT will help me. I will let everyone know.

Let us know how your ESWT goes.

Re: BTW, you friends SUX for leaving!

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:23 (078264)

I had to say that! That is mean of them! :(

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 16:55 (078274)

Super! It did sound like your tissues were tight, so I have great hopes for you. Let us know how the PT goes! I've never had it but if it loosens things then it sounds like it might do the trick for you.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 17:03 (078276)

I agree!!

My steady date for two years, Bobbie, started telling me he didn't have time to see me around Thanksgiving when my PF was diagnosed. He says he isn't dating anyone but I haven't even seen him since early December because (he says) he doesn't have time for me due to his work schedule. It's really put a big strain on our friendship. Just this week, when I'm almost all better and going to sea again, suddenly he says he might not be so busy any more and maybe we can have dinner when I get back.

It COULD be coincidence. But it sure causes me to wonder. On the other hand, better a fair-weather friend than no friend at all (maybe).

Carole C

Re: Hmmm...

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 17:16 (078277)

Only you can tell if it is coincidence or not. Maybe Bob needs a swift kick!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 18:00 (078287)

LOL well I have said a few rather straightforward things to him in recent days, shall we say. On the other hand, even if he's a fair weather friend, I don't have many friends and I'd like to see if I can keep him as a friend. I'm not sure if that will work or if this 'abandonment' issue will eat away at our friendship. Time will tell.

I know that when he calls me on the phone, I smile and I feel happy.

Carole C

Re: Don't you deserve somebody though who will make time for you?

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 18:17 (078292)

Ok...I will stop being a mother hen! ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 18:32 (078294)

Yes, you are right! I am dating other people now, but just haven't found the right person yet. Either I'm not sure of their motives, or they move away, or whatever. I am patient, though.

Carole C

John h on 4/03/02 at 16:53 (078384)

Carole: Any guy who says he does not have time for you because of his work schedule should be looked at very closely. Do not get snookered twice by this guy Carole. It probably may really happen on occasion with some people but I do not think I would tell a girl who I am dating I do not have time for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/02 at 20:19 (078404)

That's sort of how I feel too. He has been working 10-12 hour shifts 6-7 days a week, but when he gets off he has time to go to his son's house and help remodel it. Even if we're 100 miles apart so it's a little bit harder for him to drive here than it might be for some people, still you'd think he'd have time for me to drop by at least once in four months. When things were better, he was here every weekend and I never had to drive. I wish he would be honest about this situation.

But when he comes back, if he asks me out for dinner will I be able to say no? It's amazing what loneliness can do. I don't want to remarry but my friends are all telling me that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and that I should cook for him (which I haven't done). But is that where I want to go, to his heart? Unless I am deluding myself (which is eminently possible), what I'd really like is just companionship and friendship, no more but for sure no less. It doesn't seem like he is willing to offer that, though he keeps protesting and making excuses for avoiding me.

Lots of people could provide companionship and friendship, though there aren't any in my life at present, except Frank who lives in Connecticut. Frank will arrive in town to visit his folks tonight, so we have a date tomorrow night and it will be great to see him. Too bad he doesn't live here any more! :)

Carole C

Re: typo correction

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/02 at 20:21 (078405)

I meant 'But when I come back' not 'But when he comes back' .....

Carmen on 4/05/02 at 16:07 (078596)

BRAG away! It's an accomplisment you should be proud of.

Laurie R on 4/01/02 at 10:45 (078152)

Hi Melissa , I am sorry to hear about your pain... I know it is very hard and frustrating .... If you don't mind me asking , do you live in the bay area ?? I think if I remember right you had said you live near Fremont ? I live near Oakland CA .... Just a thought , if you do live this way , I know some very wonderful doctors..... Laurie R

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 11:05 (078154)

I live in the South Bay. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO with the San Jose Medical Group as my medical group.
I don't know if my pod is good or not since she is the only one I have ever been to.

I just feel pretty frustrated and like a failure since I can not wear the night cast thing without my leg wanting to
cramp up.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:47 (078162)

Well don't feel like a failure! If the cast doesn't work for you, then it's not your fault.

It sounds like your tendons and muscles are extremely tight. Don't do any exercises that hurt. Rotating your feet, like you mentioned, is good. You need something that will gently stretch the tendons and muscles in your leg, but not so much that it makes them hurt. You've probably read when I've described the stretch that does that for me, which is sitting on my bed with my leg in front of me and supported by the bed, and then pointing my toes to my nose and holding 10-30 seconds. I do that one several times a day, and then rotate to try to loosen things up afterwards. If that doesn't help, then maybe some other stretch that is gentle enough that it doesn't cause any pain. Julie has some good stretches.

I hope your pod has some ideas for you! Let us know what he says.

Carole C

Re: PS, about weight watchers

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 11:50 (078163)

By the way, congratulations on losing 2.5 pounds! That's great, and not an easy feat when you have PF. Pat yourself on the back! :)

I'm back on Weight Watchers too, but I didn't more than a pound or so the whole time I had PF so I'm very impressed. !

Carole C

dave on 4/01/02 at 13:51 (078176)

I had cortizone shots and ended up with a burst plantar fascia. Its been four years since then and i am still having trouble. Cortizone can help but remember that it weekens tissue

Re: PT

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 13:54 (078178)

I think if you have been in a cast, are wearing orthotics and still having pain that hurts THAT much your doctor may want to prescribe PT for you. At least to get IOnto or ultra sound...soemthing! Have you tried PT yet?
AlsoI am pretty sure MSM is for joints...not inflammastion so maybe some Aleve for now until you get a general idea of what program the Pod has you on.
PT has helped MANY. MAybe you need guidance and help with how to do your stretches and that may help with the pain you get from doing it alone?

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:25 (078183)

Hi Carole,

Not to brag, but I've lost 12.5 altogether (lost 10 lbs before WW but it took MONTHS). Since I am retaing H2O, hopefully next Saturday I will have a bigger weight loss. I am going to try some excersises tonight w/o hurting my feet.

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:26 (078184)

I will bring up PT to my pod...but what is it? I am taking Aleve, one tablet in the AM, and nothing...
the MSM is not helping too excpet maybe I have a tad bit more energy.

Mahatmelissama on 4/01/02 at 14:28 (078185)

Thanks so much for your imput...the pod seems to downplay the effects of the cortizone shot...she doesn't push it though but I am afraid with all my whining she will. I am so sorry you had this effect...you are definitly in my prays Dave to heal.

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 15:23 (078188)

Perhaps others can jump in here, but I don't think there's any specification that MSM is for joints only. MSM is a form of DMSO, which Scott has posted about a lot--you might want to do a search on both MSM and DMSO for more info. I took MSM for a while, and it didn't do much for me, but then there are plenty of things that didn't work for me that helped others, so it's probably still worth a try. I am pretty sure that some others on the board tried it as well, so if you search, you might see some feedback on it.

Nancy N on 4/01/02 at 15:24 (078189)

Also, I should have mentioned that most of these things do not work overnight. It could take at least 4 weeks to see a difference with a lot of supplement-type treatments, so as long as it is not having an adverse effect on you, be sure to give it enough time.

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 16:53 (078200)

Short for Physical Therapy....if you haven't had it yet I would definitely ask for it.

Carmen H on 4/01/02 at 16:57 (078201)

I know why I thought it was just for joints...because it is good for Arthritis...I believe my Mom was taking it at one point.
Anyway....here's a link with more info.
http://www.arthritis-msm-supplements.com/

Carole C in NOLA on 4/01/02 at 17:57 (078205)

That's WONDERFUL! And the fact that it took months, means that you are more likely to KEEP it off than if you had lost it fast in a crash diet. It's so impressive that you have managed to lose with PF, because it's so hard to exercise with PF (not to mention the swelling in the feet, which has to weigh something! Of course you are retaining water!).

Personally I just didn't exercise until I got better. But I'll bet I could have done sitting exercises with weights (or cans of vegetables). Be sweet to your feet if you can. :)

Carole C

dave on 4/02/02 at 08:17 (078239)

have you thought about having eswt done? I had the procedure done last week in jersey. Doctor z. performed the treatment. So far so good. I am hopefull that i will get some relief. I have refused to have the regular surgery. I know that there are alot of people thought have had great results from surgery but after reading about so many failures i am not ready to have my problems get any worse. I have seen 6 doctors over the last five years for my plantar fasciitis. I have done it all. I wore night splints for three years.4 pairs of orthotics. Cortisone shots.Pills, pills and more pills. I had to crawl around the house for two months on my hands and knees because i couldnt walk at all. I lost the job that i loved and was forced to take a lower paying job with bad insurance. My souse ( Mary ) has been very supportive through all of this. But she also doesnt fully understand what we all go through. I have lost contact with most of my friends. they just stop calling. I feel bad for those that i love since i am unable to keep up with them. Dont get me wrong. I have improved alot over the years, but i am still unable to do everything that i want. I still kneel on a chair to do the dishes. And Mary does all the shopping. I will keep you posted on my improvements that i make since my eswt treatment.

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:19 (078262)

I start on April 17th. Evidently my ligments are too tight and I may have a pinched nerve in my back. They will do tests to find out more if I don't get better with PT.

Re: I am getting PT..

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:22 (078263)

Hi Dave,

I am so sorry to hear about you losing friends and the pain. :(

I am glad you got ESWT and hope for the future. Also, sounds like you have
a great wife.

My roomate has volunteered to go shopping for me in the future. I also might do the
Safeway delivery thing.

Hopefully PT will help me. I will let everyone know.

Let us know how your ESWT goes.

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 15:23 (078264)

I had to say that! That is mean of them! :(

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 16:55 (078274)

Super! It did sound like your tissues were tight, so I have great hopes for you. Let us know how the PT goes! I've never had it but if it loosens things then it sounds like it might do the trick for you.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 17:03 (078276)

I agree!!

My steady date for two years, Bobbie, started telling me he didn't have time to see me around Thanksgiving when my PF was diagnosed. He says he isn't dating anyone but I haven't even seen him since early December because (he says) he doesn't have time for me due to his work schedule. It's really put a big strain on our friendship. Just this week, when I'm almost all better and going to sea again, suddenly he says he might not be so busy any more and maybe we can have dinner when I get back.

It COULD be coincidence. But it sure causes me to wonder. On the other hand, better a fair-weather friend than no friend at all (maybe).

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 17:16 (078277)

Only you can tell if it is coincidence or not. Maybe Bob needs a swift kick!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 18:00 (078287)

LOL well I have said a few rather straightforward things to him in recent days, shall we say. On the other hand, even if he's a fair weather friend, I don't have many friends and I'd like to see if I can keep him as a friend. I'm not sure if that will work or if this 'abandonment' issue will eat away at our friendship. Time will tell.

I know that when he calls me on the phone, I smile and I feel happy.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 4/02/02 at 18:17 (078292)

Ok...I will stop being a mother hen! ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/02/02 at 18:32 (078294)

Yes, you are right! I am dating other people now, but just haven't found the right person yet. Either I'm not sure of their motives, or they move away, or whatever. I am patient, though.

Carole C

John h on 4/03/02 at 16:53 (078384)

Carole: Any guy who says he does not have time for you because of his work schedule should be looked at very closely. Do not get snookered twice by this guy Carole. It probably may really happen on occasion with some people but I do not think I would tell a girl who I am dating I do not have time for you.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/02 at 20:19 (078404)

That's sort of how I feel too. He has been working 10-12 hour shifts 6-7 days a week, but when he gets off he has time to go to his son's house and help remodel it. Even if we're 100 miles apart so it's a little bit harder for him to drive here than it might be for some people, still you'd think he'd have time for me to drop by at least once in four months. When things were better, he was here every weekend and I never had to drive. I wish he would be honest about this situation.

But when he comes back, if he asks me out for dinner will I be able to say no? It's amazing what loneliness can do. I don't want to remarry but my friends are all telling me that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and that I should cook for him (which I haven't done). But is that where I want to go, to his heart? Unless I am deluding myself (which is eminently possible), what I'd really like is just companionship and friendship, no more but for sure no less. It doesn't seem like he is willing to offer that, though he keeps protesting and making excuses for avoiding me.

Lots of people could provide companionship and friendship, though there aren't any in my life at present, except Frank who lives in Connecticut. Frank will arrive in town to visit his folks tonight, so we have a date tomorrow night and it will be great to see him. Too bad he doesn't live here any more! :)

Carole C

Re: typo correction

Carole C in NOLA on 4/03/02 at 20:21 (078405)

I meant 'But when I come back' not 'But when he comes back' .....

Carmen on 4/05/02 at 16:07 (078596)

BRAG away! It's an accomplisment you should be proud of.