Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

still in pain

Posted by Geri E. on 4/01/02 at 10:58 (078153)

In Oct.2001 I had a bunion removed from my right big toe. It wasn't necessary to insert a pin, just shave off the bunion. I am still having some pain in the area although not like when the bunion was there. And I have tingling, itchy and often times a numb feeling. I thought by now all would be fine, but my foot still bothers me. What could be wrong? Or is this normal?

Re: still in pain

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/01/02 at 13:36 (078173)

Geri, as in most cases on this website, I strongly recommend that you ask these questions to the doctor that performed the surgery. There may be some injury to the nerve(s) in the area, and often this will eventually heal by itself. It can be shoe irritation, residual edema (swelling), etc. There are many ways to perform a bunionectomy. Some doctors make the incision on the top of the foot, some on the side, some perform the surgery via an 'open' method, some use a small hole and gain access with a drill, etc. Each one of these techniques has it's own unique problems, that's why it's imperative that you direct your questions to the surgeon that performed the procedure.

Mar on 4/01/02 at 17:07 (078203)

Geri --

If it is any consolation, I had bunion surgery March 2001 -- the big toe had to have screws, but the little toe was just shaved. I still have pain in both, and have also developed plantar fasciitis because of the way O walked compensating for the pain. So be careful how you walk. A friend of mine said she had tingling for about a year. Good luck! Mar

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/01/02 at 13:36 (078173)

Geri, as in most cases on this website, I strongly recommend that you ask these questions to the doctor that performed the surgery. There may be some injury to the nerve(s) in the area, and often this will eventually heal by itself. It can be shoe irritation, residual edema (swelling), etc. There are many ways to perform a bunionectomy. Some doctors make the incision on the top of the foot, some on the side, some perform the surgery via an 'open' method, some use a small hole and gain access with a drill, etc. Each one of these techniques has it's own unique problems, that's why it's imperative that you direct your questions to the surgeon that performed the procedure.

Mar on 4/01/02 at 17:07 (078203)

Geri --

If it is any consolation, I had bunion surgery March 2001 -- the big toe had to have screws, but the little toe was just shaved. I still have pain in both, and have also developed plantar fasciitis because of the way O walked compensating for the pain. So be careful how you walk. A friend of mine said she had tingling for about a year. Good luck! Mar