Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. said I'm too flexible

Posted by Billy A on 4/02/02 at 13:11 (078256)

Hello,

I recently went to a rheumatologist and he said the reason for my PF is because I'm too flexible. I never stretch, so it must be a genetic thing. Has anyone heard of a situation like this?

Thanks Billy

Re: Dr. said I'm too flexible

Julie on 4/02/02 at 13:39 (078258)

He may have meant that you have loose ligaments. This can be, but isn't necessarily, genetic. The function of ligaments is to allow movement of joints within a certain safe range. When they are looser than they should be, the joints are hypermobile, meaning that they have the ability to move beyond their safe range. They are unstable, and all sorts of problems can result - dislocation for instance.

I'm not a doctor, and am guessing, but it's possible that if the ligaments supporting your ankle and/or knee joints are too loose to give them proper support, PF or other foot problems could result.

Did the rheumatologist suggest anything to help you deal with PF? There's little that can be done about loose ligaments, but muscles can be strengthened, and that is probably what you should be thinking about. A good physical therapist should be able to prescribe suitable exercises.

You might also consider seeing a podiatrist, who may have other ideas about treating your PF - whatever its cause.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/02 at 15:16 (078261)

This could lead to excessive pronation which is one contributing cause to plantar fasciitis. You may be a good candidate for orthosis

Julie on 4/02/02 at 13:39 (078258)

He may have meant that you have loose ligaments. This can be, but isn't necessarily, genetic. The function of ligaments is to allow movement of joints within a certain safe range. When they are looser than they should be, the joints are hypermobile, meaning that they have the ability to move beyond their safe range. They are unstable, and all sorts of problems can result - dislocation for instance.

I'm not a doctor, and am guessing, but it's possible that if the ligaments supporting your ankle and/or knee joints are too loose to give them proper support, PF or other foot problems could result.

Did the rheumatologist suggest anything to help you deal with PF? There's little that can be done about loose ligaments, but muscles can be strengthened, and that is probably what you should be thinking about. A good physical therapist should be able to prescribe suitable exercises.

You might also consider seeing a podiatrist, who may have other ideas about treating your PF - whatever its cause.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/02/02 at 15:16 (078261)

This could lead to excessive pronation which is one contributing cause to plantar fasciitis. You may be a good candidate for orthosis